News   Apr 25, 2024
 347     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 1K     4 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 1K     0 

East York-Old East York

A little surprising to see Eleven11 close. The fact that Eleven11 assembled various storefronts on that corner over the years might ultimately have been its downfall - as @Ex-Montreal Girl speculates, they created a desirable space for someone with deeper pockets.

If not a Tim's. then maybe that tiny Shoppers a few doors down could move into a larger location

That intersection is such a great example of the current state of East York. It's definitely a micro-cosm of "old" East York merging (clashing?) with the new. Uppababy strollers compete for space with smokers from the East York Restaurant. Cheap apartments on Cosburn back onto $1.3 million re-builds. It'll be interesting to see how things change in the next 20 years. As long as Folia Grill survives, I'll be happy.

Folia has consistently been good since it opened, kept high standards even through the ownership change, in fact ive always said you cant go wrong with greek food in the pape area,
whether its folia, tzatziki, florida, greek boy or greek grill ive never left any of these places dissapointed, unlike many of their danforth rivals who are just phoning it in these days.

Folia has consistently been good since it opened, kept high standards even through the ownership change, in fact ive always said you cant go wrong with greek food in the pape area,
whether its folia, tzatziki, florida, greek boy or greek grill ive never left any of these places dissapointed, unlike many of their danforth rivals who are just phoning it in these days.

I usually go to Square Boy at Jones and Danforth for my cheap Greek fix. The souvlaki is as good as 95% of the sit down restos on the Danforth at half the price. Also, they still have a burger, fries and pop special for $5.00. Where else can you get that deal in the city?

With many of the "mid-level" Greek restos along the Danforth disappearing, I anticipate that many of the mom and pop and low-end Greek joints along the strip will refuse to die. They have consistent foot traffic and feed swarms of bar goers at night.

I can see pappas grill going and maybe megas in the next wave of closures. The rest of the sit downs still seem popular enough for now. Square boys is an institution...great place. I would not bother with souvlaki from the high end places, if you want a souv you go to a souv joint imo.

Clothing store Eleven11 has closed at the southwest corner of Pape and Cosburn. They had gradually expanded from one space up to four over the past few years so it's somewhat surprising to see them disappear all of a sudden.
Damn, that's sad. I still remember when they first opened which must've been 12 years ago

A Greek joint I loved was Kings Park Souvlaki at Pape and Kings Park. They closed a few years ago but I hadn't been there since the late 90s. I loved the peculiarity of the leafy patio next to a strip mall greasy spoon and auto mechanic.

Last edited:
I was also shocked when I passed Eleven11 to see it close down. It's a bit sad as I've seen it slowly expand although I'm excited about the prospects of that space.

Also, I'm curious to see what happens to the dry-cleaners on the north-west corner. It's been closed for some time now.

This is a decently sized site - too bad it's not getting something a bit more urban/pedestrian-orientated. Instead it looks like they are investing in the suburban-style KFC.

KFC.png

Attachments

• KFC.png
    KFC.png
    15.5 KB · Views: 928
This is a decently sized site - too bad it's not getting something a bit more urban/pedestrian-orientated. Instead it looks like they are investing in the suburban-style KFC.

View attachment 83747

That's too bad. I always saw this site as a prime spot for a mid-rise or at least something a little more urban/pedestrian oriented as you said.

This isn't the old Crow Cleaners-- this is for the site of where the current KFC stands, so it looks like they're expanding the restaurant. Which still, ugh, I'd also like to see a mid-rise with sidewalk-fronted retail here go on this site instead.

I hope both corners on the west side of Pape at Cosburn get something more than a chain store, but even that I'd take over seeing them remain empty.

As for Eleven11, I wonder if the interior walls between the separate units can be knocked down, because that would be necessary for any kind of restaurant to go in there-- the inside of the store was very chopped up and would be unusable as a dining establishment.

Back