News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.6K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 357     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 923     1 

East Don Trail Project

Yup. It's to get over the GO corridor, and is the main cause of why this project is so insanely delayed. The TRCA initially envisioned a level crossing of the corridor and Metrolinx said no far too late into the process to avoid massive delays, plus now you get these ridiculous structures.

Do you know if a tunnel is planned for this crossing? No activity there when I took the drone shots on Dec 2. 🙁

East Don - 1.jpg

East Don - 2.jpg

Do you know if a tunnel is planned for this crossing? No activity there when I took the drone shots on Dec 2. 🙁

View attachment 538374

View attachment 538379
Toronto and Region Conservation Authority (TRCA) and City of Toronto are continuing to work with Metrolinx to secure final approval and to expedite timelines where possible.

Locations of proposed open cut tunnel and pedestrian bridge crossing over the Metrolinx rail corridor
Figure 1: Locations of proposed East Don Trail open cut tunnel and pedestrian bridge crossing over the Metrolinx rail corridor.

Construction has commenced on the pedestrian-cycle bridge approach ramps and abutments (see Figure 2). The delivery of the steel bridge structure is expected in Spring 2024.

See: https://trca.ca/conservation/infrastructure-projects/east-don-trail-project/news/#11-02-23

Any updates for this "proposed multiuse trail" on the east side to connect it with the meadoway? It would have to cross Eglinton....
Or even any updates for Phase 3? Do they have funding?

View attachment 540137

If nothing has changed, The Bermondsey to Eglinton stretch is in this year's budget/plans.

Any updates for this "proposed multiuse trail" on the east side to connect it with the meadoway? It would have to cross Eglinton....

View attachment 540137
I would hope for an underpass where that trail is supposed to cross Eglinton. It's busy and wide enough, never mind that the Crosstown is three tracks here for a centre storage track.

View attachment 540137

Phase 3 in the valley is tied to the fate of the Golf Course. As that site is currently legally entangled......it'll be a bit.

I'm not familiar with the situation with the golf course. Are you able to elaborate?

This thread:

I would hope for an underpass where that trail is supposed to cross Eglinton. It's busy and wide enough, never mind that the Crosstown is three tracks here for a centre storage track.

im confused, there already is an overpass for Eglinton there over the valley. The trail won't cross Eglinton in any way shape or form. It will be hundreds of feet below it.

im confused, there already is an overpass for Eglinton there over the valley. The trail won't cross Eglinton in any way shape or form. It will be hundreds of feet below it.
I would assume that @Voltz is referring to the stretch of the pathway slated to be built along the Gatineau Hydro Corridor to link up with the sections already built further east. The corridor crosses Eglinton between Bermondsey/Sloane and Victoria Park, and there are no traffic signals in that stretch.

Dan

Seems to me, when riding along the end of the corridor, there was a tunnel just west of the current terminus of the corridor trail and Eglinton but I'm not certain if that is for ground/storm water...

The map above suggests there may be a link (near tunnel) on the north side of the hydro corridor. I'm not sure if the Crosstown project anticipated this need...

Screenshot_20240213_173158.jpg

Heres what it looks like on streetview:

Screenshot_20240213_173405.jpg

Seems to me, when riding along the end of the corridor, there was a tunnel just west of the current terminus of the corridor trail and Eglinton but I'm not certain if that is for ground/storm water...

The map above suggests there may be a link (near tunnel) on the north side of the hydro corridor. I'm not sure if the Crosstown project anticipated this need...

View attachment 540473

View attachment 540474
That is a drainage path for the upper reach of Wilson Brook. It continues westward, north of the Bermondsey Transfer Station, down into the East Don River.

View attachment 540473

View attachment 540474

That is a drainage path for the upper reach of Wilson Brook. It continues westward, north of the Bermondsey Transfer Station, down into the East Don River.

@Metroscapes is on point.

And the intent, unless the design has been revised since I last saw it, is to have the trail cross Eglinton at a set of lights.

I would assume that @Voltz is referring to the stretch of the pathway slated to be built along the Gatineau Hydro Corridor to link up with the sections already built further east. The corridor crosses Eglinton between Bermondsey/Sloane and Victoria Park, and there are no traffic signals in that stretch.

Dan
Yes that would be the location, it would be a shame if there doesn't end up being a way to cross Eglinton here without having to divert to an existing traffic signal.

Back