269     0 
News   May 17, 2024
 3.3K     5 

Early Etobicoke

Miss Sadie Thompson

Member Bio
Reaction score
Quite a few interesting pics of early Etobicoke can be found at this link

Here's the Moorhouse family looking south west from their home on Aberfoyle Crescent to the corner of Bloor Street and Islington Avenue. One can only imagine their thoughts of the same view today.

bloorIslington1918.jpg

The Musson House (north side of Dundas St. east of Burnhamthorpe) hosted both the Islington Post office and the Islington Telephone Exchange. Here's an undated photo

musson1.jpg

Later pic exhibiting renovations

mussun.jpg

Current google street view pic (4884 Dundas St. W.)

4884dundas.jpg

Back in the late 70s, the Almont Hotel on the north-west side of Lakeshore at Kipling was one of my favourite hang-outs, especially for watching hockey games and having Grey Cup get togethers. I recognized it right away upon seeing this pic circa 1953 (I wonder how giant the television was?)

almont.jpg

I didn't remember a turret, but from viewing the current pic, it was obviously removed to facilitate widening of Kipling Avenue. I feel very sad seeing this pic of a once vibrant and lively locale.

almontnow.jpg

Gordon´s Dairy and Watts Hardware and Electrical c. 1946 North side of Dundas Street west of Islington Burying Ground. Love the horse-drawn milk wagons.

dairy.jpg

Four Corners, Thistletown c. 1953. Albion Road looking east across Islington Avenue. Directional signs indicate: Woodbridge 3 miles, Weston 3 miles, Pine Grove 4 miles, Kleinburg 8 miles, Clairville 4 miles, Brampton 13 miles.

albion.jpg

Now

albionislington.jpg

Lots more at the link and worth a visit, especially if the west end is near and dear to you.

photo19.jpg

Modern pic is not interesting on this one (or most of these, really). This is Lawrence's bridge over the Humber, damaged by Hazel (Raymore drive is not far downstream)

The recent pic of 2682 Lakeshore Blvd West was taken too far west of Royal York Rd. (formerly Church Street)

The "Towers", and "Lynne Lodge", were in the 8 o'clock postition from this view. The historical photo's position was

app 200 ft west of where Larry McGuinness's father built his home, now the Polish Consulate. The "Towers",

were demolished by my exwife's uncle (Sidney Kowal) during '57 to build an apartment building. (I forgave him)

Regards,
J T

I don't know what you mean about the removal of the Almont turret, because it's still there (albeit obscured by a telephone pole in the Google shot)

Hi All.
First time posting here but I have been reviewing posts on this site since I discovered it a few months back.
Collectively, your postings are pretty impressive but being born and raised in Etobicoke, and now raising my own family here, I've been waiting for a thread on Etobcoke specifically and hoping there are lots who can contribute. I am specifically interested in central Etobicoke around Eglinton.
I will add what I have so far, and have some other photos at home that I need to scan to post. Will get to that soon. Here is a shot of highway 27 and Eglinton. The two notible offramps are Richview Sideroad, now Eglinton.
Second is the mall at Eglinton and Wincott.
hwy27in1954.jpg

richview1971.jpg

Maybe it's the Valhalla Inn influence, but that Eg-Wincott mall seems quite precocious in its brick/wood/mansard aesthetic--like, the 60s anticipating the 70s...

Back