1.7K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 367     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 939     1 

Dundas West / Brockton / Portugal Village

391 BROCK AVE
Ward 9: Davenport

To alter the two-storey detached dwelling by constructing a rear third storey addition, with a rear second storey deck and stairs, and a rear third storey balcony. This building will be converted into three units.

-----------
Current building, at the corner of Brock & Muir Ave:

391 br.JPG
391 br 2.JPG
391 br 3.JPG

Some coverage on the Moonmilk ice cream place on Dundas West near St. Clarens:

Some coverage on the Moonmilk ice cream place on Dundas West near St. Clarens:

Been there thrice already!

What's your verdict or rating out of 10?
Strictly on the quality of the ice cream? Probably 7.5. I'd like to see some more flavours offered, including perhaps a couple of standard flavours that appeal to young children. Death in Venice just down the street a few blocks is much worse in that regard - I recently took my 5 year old son there for ice cream, and they did not have a single remotely "normal" flavour among the 15-20 on offer. He looked so disappointed as I explained the multiple flavours to him...

Strictly on the quality of the ice cream? Probably 7.5. I'd like to see some more flavours offered, including perhaps a couple of standard flavours that appeal to young children. Death in Venice just down the street a few blocks is much worse in that regard - I recently took my 5 year old son there for ice cream, and they did not have a single remotely "normal" flavour among the 15-20 on offer. He looked so disappointed as I explained the multiple flavours to him...

LOL, so @Towered the problem with the world is that people aren't boring enough.

Wait! What happened to you? Are you ok? Do you have a fever?

Pssst; you know how children learn to like new and interesting flavours? They try them! LOL

LOL, so @Towered the problem with the world is that people aren't boring enough.

Wait! What happened to you? Are you ok? Do you have a fever?

Pssst; you know how children learn to like new and interesting flavours? They try them! LOL
LOL! Most people are plenty boring - I just think it's ok to have a couple of standard flavours on hand to appeal to all those vanilla types unlike weirdos like myself ;)

You haven't met my son - he's incredibly, astoundingly stubborn and assertive. Reminds me more of my dad than myself...

LOL! Most people are plenty boring - I just think it's ok to have a couple of standard flavours on hand to appeal to all those vanilla types unlike weirdos like myself ;)

You haven't met my son - he's incredibly, astoundingly stubborn and assertive. Reminds me more of my dad than myself...

Secret number one to getting kids to try new foods; don't tell them they have to; just eat it yourself and and make yummy noises.
When they ask; tell them its a secret food only for adults.....

Second, involve them in making/trying new stuff as a play activity, not a meal activity.

A great way to do this with sweet stuff, is having vanilla ice cream just 1 tsp, in each of multiple ramekins, then tell the kid to put any one sauce on each one; raspberry, strawberry, caramel, mint, pineapple, maple, let'em go nuts.
Encourage them to take a combo they like, say vanilla and maple, and add one extra thing from the selection to that flavour combo, maple-blueberry, vanilla icecream is born.

For savoury, this works well with home-fry style potatoes, and dips on the side.
Garlic Aioli, maple-mustard, BBQ Sauce, Balsamic-Mayo.

A third suggestion is to play w/colour, kids tend to love that. A little Tandoori seasoning and you can turn your couscous or rice burgandy/purple; a parsley-based pesto (you can add basil too) will turn anything dark green; while grated carrot does orange and turmeric yellow.

I don't have kids of my own, but was involved in raising my niece, who started out with a very open mind for a kid, but then went into the stubborn phase around 8.

Her folks had trouble getting her to try stuff after that; but I fixed her, LOL

I picked her up from an overnight camp and we went camping in a provincial park. I wasn't mean about forcing her to try stuff, but I simply said she had to pick from what I had in the cooler or the spice kit/pantry kit.

This is what got her hooked on expensive balsamic vinegar which for a while to her mother's chagrin, she wanted to put on everything! LOL

She liked the sweetness and she found she was only moderately keen on Hot Italian Sausage done over the fire, she sliced it and drizzled in balsamic and declared it a culinary delight.

Between that and getting her to fall for really good aged Parmigiano Reggiano, her mother was of very mixed view on my successful breaking of her royal fussiness. I think I added $50 to their monthly grocery bill.

However, by the time the kid was 12 she was making all the salad dressings for the family, just the way her uncle taught her.

Last edited:
Photo dump of previously unposted pics:

Just off Ossington a bit of Dundas, I've always found this sloped streetscape interesting

20220709_123946.jpg
20220709_124001.jpg

On Dundas a bit east of Trintity Bellwoods Park

20230211_105905.jpg
20230611_125300.jpg

Various views along Brock

20230406_180225.jpg
20230406_180344.jpg
20230406_182026.jpg

Colour coordinated to the flag of Portugal 🇵🇹

20230406_180408.jpg

Some older laneway housing just east of Brock

20230406_180452.jpg
20230406_180500.jpg
20230406_180550.jpg
20230406_180604.jpg
20230406_180957.jpg

This NW corner of Dundas & Lansdowne is always cursed lol

20231225_132913.jpg

Attachments

• 20230406_180225.jpg
    20230406_180225.jpg
    280.5 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Photo dump of previously unposted pics:

Just off Ossington a bit of Dundas, I've always found this sloped streetcars interesting

View attachment 545546View attachment 545547

On Dundas a bit east of Trintity Bellwoods Park

View attachment 545548View attachment 545558

Various views along Brock

View attachment 545549View attachment 545550View attachment 545557

Colour coordinated to the flag of Portugal 🇵🇹

View attachment 545551

Some older laneway housing just east of Brock

View attachment 545552View attachment 545553View attachment 545554View attachment 545555View attachment 545556

This NW corner of Dundas & Lansdowne is always cursed lol

View attachment 545560

Since moving to the west end, I've explored the area more, and Brockton has quickly become one of my favourite neighbourhood in the city. I love the quirky alleyways, the windy roads (certainly for Toronto standards) and diverse housing styles.

Back