News   May 01, 2024
 246     0 
News   May 01, 2024
 333     0 
News   May 01, 2024
 378     0 

Dufferin Street: Eliminating the jog

Good point Nfitz, at grade streetcars in traffic with appropriate turn prohibitions could work well on Dufferin, and could be implemented at a much more affordable rate than tunneled LRT or one with a separate ROW.

They can start with putting streetcar tracks from Dundas Street to join with the existing tracks south of Queen Street. Then the 522 Dundas Exhibition streetcars can replace the 193 Exhibiton from Dundas West Station to the Dufferin Gates, via Dundas and Dufferin. After the new LFLRV's arrive of course, since there is a shortage of streetcars.

Last edited:
As it stands now Dufferin street have streetcar tracks south from Queen St.to the Dufferin Gates/Springhurst Ave,thus giving the Queen or King streetcars access south to the loop or future Lakeshore or Exibithion LRT lines.
They might just built a separate ROW from the EX/Lakeshore to Queen Street.One day Queen Street may get a subway and this area could very well be a hub to an underground LRT station connecting the Lakefront.There could also be a possibility in the future that they can integrade a Queen St/Parkdale rail station for a future electrified city line.

Anyways eliminating the jog is great news for south Parkdale residents that have seen an increase in traffic congestion throughout the last couple of years.

A streetcar on the surface on Dufferin would be nice, but given how notoriously slow and inefficient other TTC streetcar routes in mixed traffic are, they can hardly be trusted to handle such a thing properly. Besides, their policy is to no longer construct any more streetcar lines in mixed traffic anyway. And given Dufferin's high ridership, it deserves better service in the form of LRT, which means tunneling.

A streetcar on the surface on Dufferin would be nice, but given how notoriously slow and inefficient other TTC streetcar routes in mixed traffic are, they can hardly be trusted to handle such a thing properly. Besides, their policy is to no longer construct any more streetcar lines in mixed traffic anyway. And given Dufferin's high ridership, it deserves better service in the form of LRT, which means tunneling.

True the TTC currently says they won't build that anymore, and you're right services levels would dictate something meatier. However, if it's a choice between bus and streetcar, I'd vote for a standard streetcar line. It does, at the very least, show a committment to upgrading the route, and with approproate traffic control/priority, might function better than a bus. Also, it would strike me that a mixed traffic line could be built for far less than a tunnelled LRT. I haven't any numbers to back that supposition up, but I suppose I just like the idea.

That being said, I seem to recall the ridership for the Dufferin bus was higher than the Sheppard subway (does anyone know?), in which case an argument for some form of upgrade can be made sensibly.

It looked like there were pile-drivers (or something like that) working on site yesterday; same goes for today.

Last edited:
No. Dufferin is no narrow than Dundas, Bathurst, Gerrard, much of King, Queen, College. Streetcar service runs quite well on Bathurst and other streets outside of the core, simply with turn and lane restrictions. I see no reason it wouldn't work well on Dufferin, despite the current TTC mantra.

I tend to agree, though the TTC's present policy is pretty firm that they aren't going to build any more mixed-traffic streetcars. I think the reliability issues with the mixed-traffic streetcars have to do much more with route management than with traffic, as Steve Munro has ably demonstrated.

Looks like major work will get underway in May for the first 5 track overpass bridge. Once done, current 3 lines will be move there to put the remaining overpass in to the south.

IMG_april-19-09-0266.jpg

IMG_april-19-09-0269.jpg

IMG_april-19-09-0270.jpg

IMG_april-19-09-0275.jpg

IMG_april-19-09-0283.jpg

I'll bet archaeologists will be shifting through the debris looking for "junk" that could now be "treasure".

For What??

This area was a swamp before the rail road came along and that is why the Jog exist then and now.

Back