News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.8K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 400     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 995     1 

DRL routing. Where would you put it?

Where would you route the DRL between University and Yonge?

• North of Queen

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • Queen Street

Votes: 64 37.6%
  • Richmond/Adelaide

Votes: 31 18.2%
  • King Street

Votes: 34 20.0%
  • Wellington Street

Votes: 26 15.3%
  • Front Street

Votes: 27 15.9%
  • Rail Corridor

Votes: 14 8.2%
  • South of the Rail Corridor

Votes: 3 1.8%

• Total voters
John Lorinc on the I-Metro-E proposal for a DRL, in today's Globe:

Metrolinx officials, however, remain skeptical. The provincial agency has a long-range plan, as yet unfunded, to introduce all-day two-way service on its seven rail lines, transforming GO from a peak-period commuter service geared at bringing 905ers downtown in the morning and taking them home at night. “All-day is the future of GO,” says chair Rob Prichard.

Metrolinx has not said how much it will cost to complete the transformation. But the agency’s planners don’t think GO’s track network – which extends 425 km, of which GO owns about two-thirds – should be used to offer local service. “We want to make sure our vision of the GO system doesn’t get conflated with the local system,” says Metrolinx’s vice-president of policy, planning and innovation, Leslie Woo, adding that the networks should be “complementary.”

But Mr. Jones says Ms. Woo told him Metrolinx intends to stick with its so-called “Big Move” plan, a 25-year, $50-billion strategy that envisions incremental changes to the GO rail network, as well as intensification around existing stations rather than the addition of new ones. (Metrolinx is currently updating the strategy.) Mr. Lee, however, says the region desperately needs another north-south transit corridor to relieve pressure on the increasingly crowded Yonge-University-Spadina line, which will see mounting ridership due to the new LRT lines and the Spadina extension to Vaughan. “That would give capacity back to the riders on the Yonge subway and improve transit times for people going south from north Scarborough.”

I really don't like this I-Metro-E proposal, and I have to agree with metrolinx.

Markham wants a subway to their downtown running from downtown toronto like Richmond Hill centre and Vaughn Centre will be getting. thing is, there is no subway to extend to it. so, they are proposing a "fix" to the DRL that also provides subway like service to Markham centre. IMO, build the DRL, and maybe in 30 years it can be built out to Markham centre.

I really don't like this I-Metro-E proposal, and I have to agree with metrolinx.

Markham wants a subway to their downtown running from downtown toronto like Richmond Hill centre and Vaughn Centre will be getting. thing is, there is no subway to extend to it. so, they are proposing a "fix" to the DRL that also provides subway like service to Markham centre. IMO, build the DRL, and maybe in 30 years it can be built out to Markham centre.

Why spend literally tens of billions of dollars building a subway all the way out to Markham when you can accomplish virtually the same level of service for a couple billion?

It just doesn't make any sense.

To bring the 905ers in they can rely on the regular express services that they have and only stop at subway connections within the 416. A supplementary local service using the same corridors, which could be a different entity, perhaps even the TTC can handle the local service, which would be at least 2km stop spacing on it.

This does not preclude building short subway lines to act as shortcuts in dense areas like downtown, for rapid local transit to move mass volumes of people through short distances.

Why spend literally tens of billions of dollars building a subway all the way out to Markham when you can accomplish virtually the same level of service for a couple billion?

It just doesn't make any sense.

it would be built out to markham as demand warranted, like the yonge and spadina lines, over a period of 30 years or so. it would in no way be built specifically to move people from markham centre to downtown... just a subway line at first from eglinton to downtown, then from sheppard to eglinton, and then steeles to sheppard, and then finally markham centre to steeles.

it would be built out to markham as demand warranted, like the yonge and spadina lines, over a period of 30 years or so. it would in no way be built specifically to move people from markham centre to downtown... just a subway line at first from eglinton to downtown, then from sheppard to eglinton, and then steeles to sheppard, and then finally markham centre to steeles.

But why build it slowly over 30 years when you can electrify the Stouffville line and run 15 min service on it within 10 years, for a fraction of the cost?

Realistically, I don't see the DRL going north of Eglinton in my lifetime.

The SRT at Malvern is also pretty close to Markham (downtown) and would not require as long of an extension. Don Mills LRT (subway?) could be extended North to Highway 7 (Beaver Creek), which I suppose technically may count as Markham.

According the the 2011 TTC Operating Statistics (at this link), the current busiest Subway stations are as follows:

(Estimated passenger trips to and from trains daily)

• Bloor (Yonge-University-Spadina): 212,600
  • Yonge (Bloor-Danforth): 203,600
  • St George (Bloor-Danforth): 138,800
  • St George (Yonge-University-Spadina): 128,000
  • Union: 102,500
  • Finch: 101,900
  • Eglinton: 79,700
  • Sheppard-Yonge (Yonge-University-Spadina): 75,200
  • Dundas: 67,600
  • Kennedy (Bloor-Danforth): 66,200

The DRL is wanted to shift the crowds away from the above listed stations. We don't want to add more to Union, so the DRL should have a downtown business centre station that would also deposit passengers where they are heading for, the center of business in Toronto, which is currently north of Union Staton.

There should be 10 minute service on between Union and Markham on the Stouffville line but it doesn't make sense to call it a subway, make it a subway, or space the stops like a subway. The I-METRO-E proposal is not a DRL... it is too far east to relieve Yonge and goes to Union station requiring transfer onto a crowded line to go to move of downtown.

The Big Move has Union to Mount Joy as Regional Rail...
Regional Rail: Diesel-electric or electric trains serving primarily longer-distance regional trips; approximate capacity at 10-minute headways of 5,000 to 20,000 passengers per hour peak direction; service can be enhanced by electrification, enabling better train performance (acceleration) and therefore higher average speeds even with relatively close station spacing. Average speed: 30 km/h with two km station spacing; 50 km/h with wider station spacing or electrified trains. Example: GO Transit rail system.

This is more than enough and doesn't turn the route into a slow commute for the existing riders.

Last edited:
Interesting. I thought I read that King was one of the busiest stations. Maybe of the non interchange ones?
Entire list is here:

http://www3.ttc.ca/PDF/Transit_Planning/Subway ridership 2009-2010.pdf

There's other non-interchange stations that are busier. Dundas, Eglinton and Finch. King is only a bit busier than Queen. Now that is 2009/2010 ... scary how much some of the stations have grown in 2011 - would be interesting to see the entire list. Hmm, and Sheppard-Yonge has shrunk - LOL.

Why not have both local and express services using the same corridor? Although a new station would be required north of Union whether they call it Wellington or Toronto Centre or whatever.

However it should be complimented with short subway lines even if they're only used during rush hour. The Waterloo and City Line type lines perhaps...

Back