News   Apr 26, 2024
 1K     3 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 274     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 807     0 

DRL routing. Where would you put it?

Where would you route the DRL between University and Yonge?

• North of Queen

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • Queen Street

Votes: 64 37.6%
  • Richmond/Adelaide

Votes: 31 18.2%
  • King Street

Votes: 34 20.0%
  • Wellington Street

Votes: 26 15.3%
  • Front Street

Votes: 27 15.9%
  • Rail Corridor

Votes: 14 8.2%
  • South of the Rail Corridor

Votes: 3 1.8%

• Total voters
Under this scenario, if people wanted an express trip, why wouldn't they just take a GO EMU RER-style service?

There seems to be a lot of discussion around the DRL as an express line, as if the problem with YUS is the time trips take, rather than the lack of capacity. As I understood it, the "relief" the DRL is supposed to provide is in terms of reducing passengers on the currently crowded lines and stations, and not primarily to make some trips faster.

As I see it, an express-oriented DRL would be a huge mistake, as it would not reduce the need for local streetcar/bus service along its route. That's why I don't understand the impetus to put the DRL along rail corridors, where there will be no local service.

Is there NO WAY to run a skytrain type line over top of the rail lines heading into downtown and then over richmond or addelaide in the city? Looks like the province is trying to make a P3 with Bombardier for Eglinton and I wouldnt be surprised to see above ground from Laird to Kennedy in the east and Weston to Pearson in the West. Im not necessarily a huge fan of a above ground line but if its cheaper and could be done fast and theres a route it could take it might make some sense. Also I know some people want to use transit as a way of reviatlizing areas which I dont know should be our main concern here. Also others believe that above ground transit will be a eye sore and ruin potential neighbourhoods. I guess if I envision it running down JANE (I cant believe JANE could get WORSE), above the rail corridor (Again I dont see how it would ruin the area) richmond (A area that may be seeing a reviatliazation but ultimately is a looooong way from being queen or king), finally above Don Mills which isnt a street that has for the most part front facing properties.

Last edited:
The part about "others believe that above ground transit will be a eye sore and ruin potential neighbourhoods" I don't believe unless it looked like GO. I do not think the streetcar running down St. Clair ruins it at all (a bus would). The same thing can be said of Queen St and King St and College St.

The part about "others believe that above ground transit will be a eye sore and ruin potential neighbourhoods" I don't believe unless it looked like GO. I do not think the streetcar running down St. Clair ruins it at all (a bus would). The same thing can be said of Queen St and King St and College St.

I meant elevated.. I meant is there a possibility of making an elevated line down jane down the rail lines down richmond up the rail lines and up don mills

There seems to be a lot of discussion around the DRL as an express line, as if the problem with YUS is the time trips take, rather than the lack of capacity. As I understood it, the "relief" the DRL is supposed to provide is in terms of reducing passengers on the currently crowded lines and stations, and not primarily to make some trips faster.

But the extra capacity provided by the DRL must be used in order for it to provide any relief. To be effective, the Danforth-to-Downtown model of the DRL requires a lot of people to transfer to the DRL at Pape rather than waiting until Yonge to go south. Will this actually happen? Obviously it will, but I think the number of people who shift their travel patterns in this way will depend on how fast the DRL is. Few people would transfer for a longer trip, while a huge number would transfer for a non-stop trip; obviously the actual number will be somewhere in between. I'm not saying it has to be express (and I don't think it should be), just that speed is indeed a factor in relief, along with capacity.

I'm not saying it has to be express (and I don't think it should be), just that speed is indeed a factor in relief, along with capacity.
Sure, but consider someone coming from the east to Union -- their option would be Bloor-Danforth from Pape to BY, and then south, or DRL south from Pape. The current route involves 11 stops, including a changeover at BY. For the DRL, there wouldn't be the need to such close spacing on the north-south stretch as there is on the downtown Yonge line, and spacing on Queen could be roughly similar to BD. In other words, you'd probably have fewer stops with the same distance anyway, and thus be faster without having to make in an actual express line with express line station spacing.

The DRL would be an express line until it hits Queen to take on short range rapid transit. In addition to that there should be frequent local GO train service on the already existing rail corridors with little extra cost for those riding within the 416 boundaries.

And relieving the Yonge line with a line not even 10km east of it is not good enough, a Toronto Overground service would spread out to the far reaches of Scarborough unlike a Don Mills subway.

Any new E-W line will have to cross Yonge and University at a depth that is below the existing shallow N-S lines and I dont think PATH is that much less of an issue at Queen to factor in.

Anything built will almost certainly follow one street through the core. The TTC is not going to be building anymore Union or St. George style HRT curves in the future and digging at depths to get across the foundations of buildings in the core is probably never going to happen.

Actually I never did see this plan but I think so far its the best yet. The only thing is I think there should be a stop between Jarvis and Cherry such as Parliament and perhaps even Sherbourne. But its a great plan.

Which is a good thing considering the GO connection. I would think it would also be easier to build along Front because it is wider, no PATh and construction would not affect things as much as if it were done on King St.

I'm in favour of Queen or Richmond, myself. As others have stated in various ways, Union is only a hub because of historic circumstance; it doesn't HAVE to be included in a DRL for the line to be effective.

what about the Liberty Square, Fort York, Cherry, Eastern and with the Portlands, etc neighbourhoods.

Back