News   Apr 26, 2024
 2.2K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 496     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.1K     1 

Downtown Yonge

Before Aura went up, there was nothing there but a parking lot. I'd say that the retail that is there now is certainly more interesting than an empty lot.

Before Aura went up, there was nothing there but a parking lot. I'd say that the retail that is there now is certainly more interesting than an empty lot.
That's just accepting what is thrown at you. Settling for something. Which is a typical Toronto attitude.
We can demand better and we should expect better. Just because there are 2 bank branches now fronting Yonge St. does not mean it's better.

That's just accepting what is thrown at you. Settling for something. Which is a typical Toronto attitude.
We can demand better and we should expect better. Just because there are 2 bank branches now fronting Yonge St. does not mean it's better.

Are there examples in Toronto where the condo meets the street in a good way? I can't really think of any, although Motion near Dundas & Bay seemed OK.

To me the ideal is narrow storefronts made up of many buildings like we see all over Toronto in all the old main streets.
Like this on Queen W:
https://www.google.ca/maps/preview#...t+West!5m2!1sHo2dA3qPtpOFjnFEMtc6nw!2e0&fid=5
(I'm not saying those specific stores are ideal, but that type of format for the street)

I've also read in the book Happy City that narrow storefronts like the above are preferred by most people.

I do think personally that it's a good thing we filled up many of the parking lots that were all over downtown, but yeah we can do better. Especially at Aura's location.

Are there examples in Toronto where the condo meets the street in a good way? I can't really think of any, although Motion near Dundas & Bay seemed OK.

To me the ideal is narrow storefronts made up of many buildings like we see all over Toronto in all the old main streets.
Like this on Queen W:
https://www.google.ca/maps/preview#...t+West!5m2!1sHo2dA3qPtpOFjnFEMtc6nw!2e0&fid=5
(I'm not saying those specific stores are ideal, but that type of format for the street)

I've also read in the book Happy City that narrow storefronts like the above are preferred by most people.

I do think personally that it's a good thing we filled up many of the parking lots that were all over downtown, but yeah we can do better. Especially at Aura's location.

There actually are quite a few condos downtown with good retail in them, though mostly condos built in the 80's & 90's. Most developers seem to sign tenants that are banks, Starbucks and other chain stores/food outlets that can afford the terms of the lease with newer buildings that have gone up in the past decade or so.

There actually are quite a few condos downtown with good retail in them, though mostly condos built in the 80's & 90's. Most developers seem to sign tenants that are banks, Starbucks and other chain stores/food outlets that can afford the terms of the lease with newer buildings that have gone up in the past decade or so.

Interesting, are there any examples that stand out to you of a condo which has done a good job at street level?
I'm wondering if the reason is that the rent is high, or does the design of the condo affect the type of retail as well? I've always thought that the width of the storefronts and the size of the area inside played a big factor.

Interesting, are there any examples that stand out to you of a condo which has done a good job at street level?
I'm wondering if the reason is that the rent is high, or does the design of the condo affect the type of retail as well? I've always thought that the width of the storefronts and the size of the area inside played a big factor.

Sure, a few examples in my neighbourhood that you can glance at on Google Maps, "Paxton Place" (71 Charles E.) - good retail on both Charles Street and on Church Street, "Century Plaza", (24 Wellesley W.), "The Lexington" (45 Carlton, across from Maple Leaf Gardens), "Ellington" (7 Carlton St) - good retail on Yonge and Carlton, both buildings at Yonge & Wellesley (mid 90's office conversions @ 555 Yonge & 8 Wellesley E.) and I'd be tempted to add "The Alexus" (70 Alexander St., Church/Alexander)... until the clothing store went out and a bank took it's place. So, a few examples of decent to good retail bases in 80's & 90's condos in my area.

1331 Yonge Street, where 1050 Chum radio station used to be, is slated for demolition to make way for retail and residential space. Why would they do that to such an antquated building I don't know?

Its a condo proposal, there is a forum for it here somewhere.

Hey anyone know what is replacing the closing Buffalo store on Yonge ??

California Sandwiches and Gourmet Burger Co. are slated to go in south of College.

I noticed today that the 24 hour Burger King on downtown Yonge is "closed for renovations".

Nothing says black out drunk like waking up with a Whopper in bed, and a ketchup stain down the shirt. I hope it really is only a reno and it re-opens, perhaps with the glorious second floor back in business.

Back