News   May 01, 2024
 249     0 
News   May 01, 2024
 333     0 
News   May 01, 2024
 378     0 

Downtown Yonge

New here...and I have to voice my frustration about Aura condo's retail spaces at Gerrard and Yonge. That area is usually quiet at night. I had high hope that with the new condo, new spaces, new wide side walk, there are great potential for patios and restaurants and bars. Instead, we are getting a RBC and BMO??? Come on! What a waste! Those spaces should not be allowed for service orientated offices because they don't open late, and close early on weekends. They can have somewhere not doesn't required wide side walk.

Welcome to the new Yonge Street, fun isn't it?

What makes you think BB&B isn't doing well ? Not agreeing or disagreeing just curious what you are basing it on. If you visit the store and find it not busy, keep in mind most BB&B outlets (in the states and Canada) are never very busy, as is the case which most big box stores like this (e.g. home outfitters).

i think it still has to do with its location. Yonge/Gerrard, on the second floor isn't really the place people think of when decide to go shopping. Plus Aura is not even completed, which is another factor.
The much smaller homesense at Yonge/Queen on the other hand, is always packed with people, and I believe BBB is even cheaper than HomeSense.

People like to shop where stores congregate - Yonge/Dundas area, Queen West, for example. For BBB as an urban store, there is not much nearby. Even college park is not such a big success when it comes to retail activities (except Winners I guess). A high end furniture store just closed last year, and the urban brick is probably just struggling.

I don't understand the layout of College Park. It has a good location but why is it all closed and inward looking. Why not open the entrace to the outside instead of functioning as a mall? It just feels awkward to me.

What will happen on the first floor of Aura? If only it had a decent department store instead of a BMO...

i think it still has to do with its location. Yonge/Gerrard, on the second floor isn't really the place people think of when decide to go shopping. Plus Aura is not even completed, which is another factor.
The much smaller homesense at Yonge/Queen on the other hand, is always packed with people, and I believe BBB is even cheaper than HomeSense.

People like to shop where stores congregate - Yonge/Dundas area, Queen West, for example. For BBB as an urban store, there is not much nearby. Even college park is not such a big success when it comes to retail activities (except Winners I guess). A high end furniture store just closed last year, and the urban brick is probably just struggling.

I don't understand the layout of College Park. It has a good location but why is it all closed and inward looking. Why not open the entrace to the outside instead of functioning as a mall? It just feels awkward to me.

What will happen on the first floor of Aura? If only it had a decent department store instead of a BMO...

There are some shops on both Yonge and College that have entrances from the street. Remember that College Park was built to primarily house a department store at ground level so reconfiguring it beyond what they have already done may have limitations.
I think it just takes people time to find a place plus this area is growing like mushrooms so I think it's a good spot to be this decade. DeBoer's did well here for several decades, they closed the business down which is why they aren't there anymore. Aileen's has been there since at least the late 80's, they do well there too.

it used to be a big surface parking lot. not much more interesting, was it?

Point is, this is what is happening to Yonge Street when new projects go up. Cool independent retailers & restaurants will be pushed out because of high rents and corporate satellites will move in.

Ya, but the big difference would be the rent.

I think they are willing to lose money on the store. Having the downtown prominent exposure is good for their brand. Do you really think most flagship locations in major cities make money? I wouldn't assume so.

Last edited:
There are some shops on both Yonge and College that have entrances from the street. Remember that College Park was built to primarily house a department store at ground level so reconfiguring it beyond what they have already done may have limitations.
I think it just takes people time to find a place plus this area is growing like mushrooms so I think it's a good spot to be this decade. DeBoer's did well here for several decades, they closed the business down which is why they aren't there anymore. Aileen's has been there since at least the late 80's, they do well there too. .

Is there a department store in College Park? Which one? I have no idea.
I agree with you that area is experiencing rapid growth and is the right spot to be.

Point is, this is what is happening to Yonge Street when new projects go up. Cool independent retailers & restaurants will be pushed out because of high rents and corporate satellites will move in.

well, just because a store is independent and not a chain doesn't mean it is cool and interesting. That applies to the majority of stores/restaurants on Yonge between Gerrard and Bloor.
I am not a fan of boring homogenous chain retailers either, but the current stores on Yonge, those T-shirt shops, sourvenir shops, fake japanese restaurants are really no better than Target and McDonald's. I used to walk on Yong between Isabella and Dundas on a daily basis, and there are really very few stores that are interesting, although not chains.

What makes you think BB&B isn't doing well ? Not agreeing or disagreeing just curious what you are basing it on. If you visit the store and find it not busy, keep in mind most BB&B outlets (in the states and Canada) are never very busy, as is the case which most big box stores like this (e.g. home outfitters).

I walk by there almost every day and I take a peek inside probably 3 or 4 times a week. (as well as use the washroom in the basement lol) Every time I go in there, whether it's 12:30 pm or 6 pm, it is always empty. There are literally more workers than customers. I know it's still early but if things don't pick up, I can't see this store doing well. I'm sure they are paying high rental rates for such a large, downtown location. I've also noticed that Marshall's on John Street is doing really badly too. There is never a line up. Compare that to the long lines at Winners in Collage Park. I'm no retail expert but empty stores can't be a good sign.

Last edited:
Those banks should have been on the second floor or located in the basement. The main floor retail should have been destination retail. They made a huge mistake here. Marshall's opens April 4th but I don't think it's going to do so well, as BB&B is not bringing in the customers. Creating the right retail mix is not as easy as people think. You need destination retail that creates the right synergy to attract shoppers. I can't see that basement mess as helping the situation but I guess you can't really judge, until it's filled with stores.

Speaking of that, I also hate that two big guns taking up 2 floors. Seriously, do they need that much space? I'd rather see mixed smaller retailers that will bring in more variety customers. I'm starting to hate those big stores, they are limiting my options! Just look at Victoria's Secrets at Eatons, taking up at least 5 retail spaces. Instead of 5 options, now I have none!

I walk by there almost every day and I take a peek inside probably 3 or 4 times a week. (as well as use the washroom in the basement lol) Every time I go in there, whether it's 12:30 pm or 6 pm, it is always empty. There are literally more workers than customers. I know it's still early but if things don't pick up, I can't see this store doing well. I'm sure they are paying high rental rates for such a large, downtown location. I've also noticed that Marshall's on John Street is doing really badly too. There is never a line up. Compare that to the long lines at Winners in Collage Park. I'm no retail expert but empty stores can't be a good sign.

I kind of hope that they will fail, so they can make them into smaller retail stores. And I think Yonge St. needs more restaurants!!! DECENT restaurants, not the knock-off restaurants.

Marshall's not doing well is no surprise at all since I don't see them advertise at all, hardly anyone knows that they are already here...

Marshall's seemed somewhat busy last I checked it out ... more so then BB&B, that's for sure.

Considering they're opening another Marshalls beside the BB&B should be interesting :)

I think as someone mentioned earlier, the building still doesn't have a complete feel to it and I'm sure many who walk by aren't even sure its open yet (yes I know there are signs). I think when all the retail opens (i.e. 2 or so restaurants) and the banks at ground level. It'll help.

BB&B had a huge opportunity to draw people in from the street by taking advantage of their huge windows to create exciting and remarkable displays. But they completely ignored this potential. Future Shop at Yonge & Dundas is a similar failure in this respect. It's like the decision makers at head office are working blind, treating all locations as the same regardless of situation. It's a truly stupid retail strategy. If "strategy" is the right word. They'll reap whatever they sowed I guess.

BB&B had a huge opportunity to draw people in from the street by taking advantage of their huge windows to create exciting and remarkable displays. But they completely ignored this potential. Future Shop at Yonge & Dundas is a similar failure in this respect. It's like the decision makers at head office are working blind, treating all locations as the same regardless of situation. It's a truly stupid retail strategy. If "strategy" is the right word. They'll reap whatever they sowed I guess.

Also bugs me. I have no problem with the lighting everyone complains about. I have a problem with boxes of merchandise pressed right up against the window. They could just put up some drywall and make some displays, but this seems to be a problem for BB&B

Back