News   May 03, 2024
 732     0 

Downtown Yonge BIA launches free walking tours

interchange42

Administrator
Staff member
Member Bio
Reaction score
'Talking the Walk': Downtown Business Community Launches Free Walking Tours in Nine Languages
TORONTO, June 9 /CNW/ - The Downtown Yonge BIA is rolling out the welcome mat this summer and inviting Torontonians and tourists alike to join free walking tours that explore the city's vibrant core. Starting June 9, the Discovery Team of trained guides will set off at 11 am and 3 pm from a kiosk on the southwest corner of Yonge and Dundas Sts., taking their guests on history-infused strolls of the downtown area. In addition to English, tours are offered in Cantonese, Spanish, Hindi, Italian, Portuguese, French, German and Hungarian, reflecting the diversity of Toronto and its visitors. The walks take approximately 90 minutes but can be tailored to meet participants' needs, in addition to being fully wheelchair accessible.

Highlights of the tour include visits to North America's first Hard Rock Café; Mackenzie House, now a museum but once the home of Toronto's first mayor; the storied Massey Hall; St. Michael's Cathedral, which houses Canada's largest English Catholic diocese; and Maple Leaf Gardens, former home to the Toronto Maple Leafs and the only site to host the Beatles in all three of their North American tours.

What: Discovery Team Tours of the Downtown Yonge district
Where: Brightly-coloured kiosk, southwest corner of Yonge and Dundas
When: Daily, 11am and 3 pm, from June 9 to Labour Day
Who: Downtown Yonge BIA's team of multilingual tour guides
About Downtown Yonge BIA

The Downtown Yonge Business Improvement Area (BIA) is an association of 2,000 businesses and property owners in downtown Toronto. Founded in 2001, its mandate is to revitalize and position Downtown Yonge as Canada's premier business, shopping and entertainment destination. For further information: downtownyonge.com.

I give these tours! Ask for the supervisor of the booth and tell me you're from UrbanToronto.ca when you meet me. Always nice to meet a fellow UTer!

I wouldn't be surprised if many of you are familiar with some of the facts we share on the tour, but I'd love to discuss architecture on a walking tour sometime with a UTer.

Especially appreciated would be if you have visiting guests-- send them to our kiosk if they need help. :)

Last edited:

Back