News   May 09, 2024
 362     0 
News   May 09, 2024
 631     1 

Downtown Mississauga Office Strategy

FutureMayor

Member Bio
Reaction score
* Warning - Large PDF File yet worth the read!

http://www5.mississauga.ca/agendas/planning/2008/06_09_08/Item01OfficeStrategyStudy.pdf

Two important recommendations that stuck out for me:

1. Creation of a New Downtown21 Master Plan

2. Opportunity for the City of Mississauga to be an anchor tenant of at least 100,000 sq. ft in a new City Centre office tower to house city staff.

The City would enter into a partnership with a developer to construct an underground parking garage to make the project financially attractive.

Louroz

"The City would enter into a partnership with a developer to construct an underground parking garage to make the project financially attractive."

Haven't had a chance to read it yet, but that reads 'subsidy' to me.

Hey Louroz,

Thanks for posting that.

The development of MCC as a location for office development is an interesting one, particularly with the province's Places to Grow strategy.

The document mentioned how popular Mississauga is for office development. But how is Mississauga hoping to direct office growth towards MCC? How are they planning to overcome the locational advantages that the Airport Corporate Centre and Meadowvale have over MCC?

The most important thing is getting good transit into Mississauga. That alone will be a catalyst for more construction of office in the City Centre.

Anyone know what the heck that weird looking building is in the model at Hurontario/Burnhamthorpe? It's where the current Petro Canada is on the Southwest corner.
They had a sign up last year proposing to turn it into a restaurant and gas bar, but that model doesn't look like that. It looks like low rise office.

Better a new parking garage than surface lot parking.

I'm no Mississauga fanboy, but if a new garage might help.

I also guess that the City of Mississauga is outgrowing its city hall and other municipal offices and would be the lead tenant in a new office building, at least it might encourage more office development. Brampton's outgrown their city hall for a while and has space leased all over the place (particularly downtown) and is using the old OPP lands at McLaughlin as well. At least having lots of employees in your downtown or "centre" helps.

The City Centre is the area in Miss. which is best served by transit, and with more improvements to come. But the new office development keeps going to the Airport Corporate Centre, the Heartland, and Meadowvale. It's a real challenge. A lot of it is unfortunately due to parking, as it is cheaper to build parking in these latter locations. The city won't allow surface parking in the MCC any more.

The city may have to make concessions on development charges, to offset the higher cost of building parking in the MCC. Otherwise, getting office development into this area will continue to be difficult.

Which is exactly why they are looking at building a new parking garage. :confused:

Every office building has a parking garage. You can't expect the CEO's to actually use transit now come on :rolleyes:
It's the amount of underground parking that is made for the building that really says a lot about a project.
Eventually all the parking for Square One will either be above or underground parking garages if you look at the city model.

The city won't allow surface parking in the MCC any more.

If I look out my window now, over the vast expanse of surface parking for my own office building, I see the new Boston Pizza that just opened up. Of course it's surrounded by its own vast expanse of parking, directly across the street from Wal-Mart's / Square One's vast expanses of parking.

I don't think they're finished paving over the MCC just yet.

They also have these funny little disconnected sidewalk stubs at the intersection of City Centre Dr. and (the new street south of Rathburn that has no name yet in gmaps).

I believe the "No Pedestrians Allowed" signs will be installed shortly.

But the new office development keeps going to the Airport Corporate Centre, the Heartland, and Meadowvale. It's a real challenge. A lot of it is unfortunately due to parking, as it is cheaper to build parking in these latter locations. The city won't allow surface parking in the MCC any more.

How about banning above ground parking at the Airport Corporate Centre, the Heartland, and in Meadowvale? And ban mid-rise in the park while at it.

Of course, I don't like surfacr parking lots either but it doesn't seem necessary to ban them. I think they should ban big box development instead. What OMERS is currently building and what they have built and are planning for the rest of Square One property is ridiculous and the city should not allow it.

I also don't this transit alone will be enough. After all, the transitway will serve Airport Corporate Centre as well and Eglinton is also a major transit corridor. And who knows what Transit City will bring.

Of course, I don't like surfacr parking lots either but it doesn't seem necessary to ban them. I think they should ban big box development instead. What OMERS is currently building and what they have built and are planning for the rest of Square One property is ridiculous and the city should not allow it.

It's the concession Square One won from the City for allowing Heartland to expand to the Northwest and Northeast Quadrants of Britannia & Mavis.

I have the printed one and it nice to see transit getting push.

I see the core will only see 12m Sq feet, not the 25m that has been stated in the past. I could never see 25m and have a hard time seeing 12m.

Using 25,000 as floor plate, the city only needs 4 floors for then self for a new building. That was one of the great mistakes when the build that hall as there was no room other than going to the south side area that rated for 8 stories.

At the same time, you need 1,000 floors to meet the needs. That 50 20 stories buildings or 25 40 floors building.

This would mean about 10 40 building in the core and love to see that happen. But like most things, cannot think tall and only have to look at the models proposed around Sq One. It would be nice to see a 70 story tower with Hazel name on top. All the buildings on the south side of Sq should be tore down for new taller gold LEED buildings and no surface parking lots.

It been 18 years since the last building went up for office in the core.

There was talk of using TIF to build the underground parking garages and start of charging $60 a month for parking and ""NO""NO"".....$300 a month.

I see the back stabbing and under minding Hazel is well under way by City staff based on comments I heard after the presentation since she will be gone in 16 months.

It will be a bit longer than 16 months, but yes, I am now beginning to hear talk that Hazel is becoming a "lame duck". The backstabbing (subtle but very real) is starting in Ward 6, exactly as predicted.

Back