News   May 24, 2024
 128     0 
News   May 24, 2024
 196     0 
News   May 24, 2024
 1K     3 

Downtown, Midtown and Uptown

Does anybody use the term 'midtown' in Toronto and not sound like a complete douchebag? What's next, Upper West Side/Lower East etc? Puke.

Downtown (South of Bloor, generally speaking) and Uptown (north of Bloor, generally speaking) sound like reasonable Toronto catch-all designations. If anybody wants to get more specific, well there's Yorkville, Rosedale, Cabbagetown, etc. You get my point.

I agree, but I also can't help but think how useful it would be to have generic terms for the shoulder areas on either side of downtown. The "east end" (Yonge to the Don) and "west end" (Spadina to the railway tracks or so) each have reasonably collective identities but yet we fail to give them collective names because of a fear that we would be ripping off New York or London.

I don't agree at all. If you're all caught up in New York envy or you're insecure about Toronto, then yeah, you shouldn't use terms that make you unconformable.

If you're not bugged by that however, then you can just shake your head at people who would label you a douchebag because of their own problems.

By the way, a new BIA was approved by Council a few weeks ago that runs north along Yonge from about Merton to about Soudan, and it has taken the name "Midtown Yonge BIA".

Huh, so one of them got it right, and the older one, I mean other one, just grabbed some name.

I don't agree at all. If you're all caught up in New York envy or you're insecure about Toronto, then yeah, you shouldn't use terms that make you unconformable.

If you're not bugged by that however, then you can just shake your head at people who would label you a douchebag because of their own problems.

That is how it should be, for sure. But I think you're justifying individual behaviour while I was trying to diagnose collective behaviour (that is, why the terms haven't really caught on even though they make a lot of sense in the central Toronto context).

Back