News   Jun 03, 2024
 873     4 
News   Jun 03, 2024
 1.2K     0 
News   Jun 03, 2024
 643     1 

Downtown Markham

Here's some pics from Demetres when we went! It's nice in there, then again I haven't been to Demetres @ Parkway location in about 20 years lol.

IMG_1125.jpg

Banana Crepe, was really good!
IMG_1146.jpg

QVmqANa

Not as nice as steveve's awesome pictures though :)

Attachments

• IMG_1146.jpg
    IMG_1146.jpg
    224.4 KB · Views: 870
  • IMG_1125.jpg
    IMG_1125.jpg
    173.9 KB · Views: 1,041
They're not so bad, definitely 1 step up from the typical brick cookie-cutter homes.

Point is moot because I'll never be able to afford those at $1.5 million.

+1. They look quite nice in person, more so than photos can do justice, aside from laneways and rear end of the homes.
I did notice a lot of old newspapers on the doorsteps of many (many) of these homes, which I presume to be vacant. I imagine the layout of these townhomes are highly ideal for subletting, being spread across 4 (or so) levels with the ground/basement level having a separate entrance, immediately accessible from the front of the house facing the street.

The newness and manicured nature of some of these side streets, combined with the emptiness and sense of vacancy, felt somewhat like walking through a ghost town or one purpose-built for a nuclear test. But there were a few locals in the area enjoying the park space and going for late-afternoon strolls, which was nice to see.

I did notice a lot of old newspapers on the doorsteps of many (many) of these homes, which I presume to be vacant.

There are some vacant homes, but most of the newspapers are sitting there because very few people use their front door on a regular basis. It's a function of the garage being at the rear of the house -- your shoes wind up being in the basement at the back, so even when you go for a walk you wind up coming and going via the garage door.

The newness and manicured nature of some of these side streets, combined with the emptiness and sense of vacancy, felt somewhat like walking through a ghost town or one purpose-built for a nuclear test. But there were a few locals in the area enjoying the park space and going for late-afternoon strolls, which was nice to see.

One of the nice recent developments is people from the nearly offices going for lunchtime strolls. Since it warmed up I've noticed quite a lot of people walking around the neighbourhood in work clothes. I assume they're from Aviva as I don't recall anything like this in past years.

Looks like Times Group is starting on the next phase... the land is being bulldozed at the new intersection of Hwy 7 & Verclair Gate.

Damn wish Remington would build as quickly :)

Side note:
I couldn't find any info on the notice of public meeting that's happening at the Home Outfitters parking lot at First Markham Place. Are they building new condos? Take down the old theater? It's hard to find a tenant for the old theatres, take a look at Parkway @ East Beaver Creek and Hwy 7 lol, it's been empty forever.

Also noticed they're building Tesla chargers in the parking lot near Kelseys on the other side of FMP. Interesting that Markville (10 minutes away) also has Tesla chargers.

Semi-related article on DT/UT Markham and the surrounding area. There's going to be some 40 Cherry Blossom trees planted at Rougeside Promenade which is that short little street on the south end of UT Markham that connects Verclaire gate and Birchmount Road.
http://138805.bmeurl.co/7E4040E

There will be a few more planted at Milne and 25 at Markham Civic center as well. It's to honor 90 years of diplomatic ties between Canada and Japan. There will be a ceremony at Markham Civic center to celebrate the plants on this Saturday(June 23rd) if anyone wants to join in. I'll be swinging by too.

+1. They look quite nice in person, more so than photos can do justice, aside from laneways and rear end of the homes.
I did notice a lot of old newspapers on the doorsteps of many (many) of these homes, which I presume to be vacant. I imagine the layout of these townhomes are highly ideal for subletting, being spread across 4 (or so) levels with the ground/basement level having a separate entrance, immediately accessible from the front of the house facing the street.

Yea, I hated the photos I saw of them, I like them a lot more in person. I've driven through the area with friends/family before and they really dig the style of them when driving on the outside of it.

Side note:
I couldn't find any info on the notice of public meeting that's happening at the Home Outfitters parking lot at First Markham Place. Are they building new condos? Take down the old theater? It's hard to find a tenant for the old theatres, take a look at Parkway @ East Beaver Creek and Hwy 7 lol, it's been empty forever.

Also noticed they're building Tesla chargers in the parking lot near Kelseys on the other side of FMP. Interesting that Markville (10 minutes away) also has Tesla chargers.

I've seen a lot more electric cars in RH and Markham over these last 2 years so I think it's justified. It'll also future proof those areas as a greater selection of electric cars become available for purchase over the next 3-5 year.

electric car purchase rates are going to plummet with the removal of the rebate program.. might not be as relevant any more. buying an electric car was starting to make a lot of sense with the rebate - you could pick up a Chevy Volt or Bolt for 27-30k after rebate - only marginally more than a similar gasoline car. Now they will be back to costing $40-45k - significantly more that makes it difficult to offset savings in gas costs.

The rebate on models with an MSRP of $75k+ was removed 2-3 years ago. But cancelling the electric vehicle rebate program outright would impact the lower end of the Market (Model 3s, etc). I don't think they've made any official moves on this yet, but it's probably only a matter of time.

Electric sliding doors have been installed on the north side of nexus building retail... I’m assuming a tenant has finally been found for that big retail space? Anyone happen to know details?

The rebates were never going to be long term. At least I always assumed that. It always felt more like a cushion for early adopters. It'll slow things down a tad but not over the long term when tons of car manufacturers shift more of their production to electric.

I figure Unionville highschool is the closest for DT/UT Markham but what would be the closest elementary schools? I feel if there isn't any close-by, it'll become a huge factor for residents in the future.
I asked one of the other retail tenants today if they'd heard anything -- it's apparently going to be a medical centre.

Oh thanks for the heads up. It's great for essential services like that to be close to/within a community. I wouldn't want to drive 10+ minutes to get to one if I could and this would keep it within a short walking distance for the majority of downtown Markham.

They are planning a public school in the Times Group lands in Uptown Markham, though it obviously hasn't been built yet.

Back