News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.1K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 291     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 819     0 

Downtown Markham

Wow really ? In my many drives through the area most folks point out how ugly the town homes are.

Anyway, the theatre looks as if it suffers from a case missing an identity, it looks like they went out of their way to use quality materials and finishings, which great, but its such a mismash from one part of the building to the other. Anyway I think most folks will like it.

I was at the Cineplex First Markham last night and there was a sign saying that the theatre would close on April 2, and the new Cineplex Cinemas Markham & VIP (on Enterprise Blvd., in Downtown Markham) would open on April 3.

Sweet. Thanks for the update!

I think it'll be the best suburban downtown in the GTA ..

Just curious as to what your criteria are for this.

For example, I would take Old Oakville and Burlington over Markham. Though, I suppose that would be a bit like comparing apples and kale.

I'm going to guess you'd compare it only to other more recent and artificially constructed downtowns like Mississauga, Vaughan, Pickering, etc?

Just curious as to what your criteria are for this.

For example, I would take Old Oakville and Burlington over Markham. Though, I suppose that would be a bit like comparing apples and kale.

I'm going to guess you'd compare it only to other more recent and artificially constructed downtowns like Mississauga, Vaughan, Pickering, etc?

Right exactly, to essentially the new built up "create a downtown out of nothing" areas, yes comparing to the likes of VCC at this point. With that said VCC could end up being more sucesfull, its just Markham has a big head start.

The lobby of the Cineplex and office building, posted on Twitter by @RemingtonBuilds:

XcP5yrT.jpg

That lobby is purty. I might have to check it out, inflated costs and all.
(But not at what I presume is one of those fake IMAX screens.)
Actually, I thought it was going to be all VIP, like Don Mills, so the breakdown is different than I expected.

You honestly thought it was going to be all VIP? the theatre was far too large for that.. Plus it was well into planning before the VIP concept even came around.

Best cineplex theater ever ? Looks really good, my favorite is still paramount downtown.

Nice pics! Speaking as someone in a wheelchair, I like that they have those motion sensor automatic doors (I’m unable to operate those press-button automatic doors) and multiple elevators. Love the amount of artwork in the building (I’m interested in looking at the one that appears to be a colorful riff on Picasso’s Guernica). What is going in that empty space – offices, shops? Any signs of restaurants in that complex? I read somewhere that South St. Burger (the chain owned by New York Fries) is opening in Downtown Markham somewhere, and the Cineplex complex seems like a likely place. Is the underground parking free?

Unfortunately they only have the automatic sliding doors for the entrance facing the drop-off; the doors onto Enterprise are button-operated.

The cinema is the only thing open right now; I imagine the announced retailers will open sometime later this year but I haven't the slightest idea of where they will be located. It's a bit of a drawback to the location at the moment; the previous location at First Markham Place was great as there were plenty of shops and restaurants where one could go for a meal before or after a movie.

Ah in time I'm sure that'll change and there are concessions there.

Back