News   Apr 26, 2024
 2.3K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 555     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.2K     1 

Downtown Grocery Store List (current + proposed)

Metro's online grocery now has suggestions on further things to buy when you pick something.
Occasionally they are quite comical.

View attachment 544556

Is someone saying Cayenne is hot?

I mean, I suppose if you just turn it upside down into your mouth............but Ghost Pepper it ain't...........

Last edited:
I've never been to their stores due to transit issues from Bay and Bloor. How does it compare to Harvest Wagon?

Summerhill is nominally a full-service supermarket, albeit, typically in a space a bit larger than a Rabba.

The original, in Rosedale was quite nice, some of the newer ones, while spendo in their decor, I think lack some of the charm of the original. Though, the Forest Hill one (Eglinton, north side, just west of Avenue Rd.) is pretty nice:

1709507001449.png

Credit: Renée Suen - Toronto Life

Comparing them to Harvest Wagon - The produce quality and variety isn't quite as good. If you think of a typical new-built Summerhill, it won't be much larger than the current, expanded Harvest Wagon, but has more shoe-horned in to it.

Traditionally, where Summerhill shines is in the meat dept w/lots of good product and lots of it done in marinades, dinner-ready.

Like Harvest Wagon, they have a number of commissary/store-made condiments/soups etc.

They tend (Summerhill) to be a bit deeper in snacks and in deli; but not much; but again, less so in some of the newer stores.

You would probably find the most accessible location their one on Bathurst.

Though the original Rosedale one is on a bus route.

I think their Pot Pies are pretty good, nice puff pastry.

From their website:

Chicken Pot Pie:

1709506161346.png

Flattened Chicken in French Marinade:

1709506297940.png

Housebrand Chimichurri:

1709506376032.png

A5 Kobe:

1709506443580.png

*note, I take some issue w/the above being labeled A5 Kobe, which I think looks more like this:

1709507442700.png

Source: https://wagyushop.com/collections/a...obu-gyu-a5-wagyu-beef-assortment-steaks-2-pcs

But I digress

Truffle Popcorn:

1709506683813.png

Apple Pie:

1709506887111.png

Last edited:
They have a pretty nicely curated lineup of hot sauces and condiments. I can't ever go in without coming out with a bottle of something.

I believe that the fact that No Frills in Leslieville is closing on 1 April (I know) is not news but I can’t find where it is on here or which store it is. Anyways being redeveloped and they are ready to go.

I believe that the fact that No Frills in Leslieville is closing on 1 April (I know) is not news but I can’t find where it is on here or which store it is. Anyways being redeveloped and they are ready to go.

There are only 2 No Frills anywhere near Leslieville, you had a 50/50 chance of being right, LOL

Its the Carlaw, north of Gerrard location that's closing. The threads for that would be both the Ontario Line thread (and one for that station site) as well as for the applicable TOC.

There are only 2 No Frills anywhere near Leslieville, you had a 50/50 chance of being right, LOL

Its the Carlaw, north of Gerrard location that's closing. The threads for that would be both the Ontario Line thread (and one for that station site) as well as for the applicable TOC.

The worst Loblaws in Toronto – Broadview and Danforth – is converting to No Frills in the meantime, but that property is up for redevelopment at some point too.

In respect of the above soon-to-be No Frills, the staff still don't have a date for the conversion other than sometime in May. The store will close for at least a few days for the reno to No Frills and then restocking.

That seems well thought out, Carlaw will be closed by then; the object should have been to close and reno Broadview first...........if that was their store of choice.

View attachment 545340
Credit: Renée Suen - Toronto Life

Wow the original location looks insanely spacious! Not the case at the new one on Dundas and Humbercrest, sadly. I tried to time my two visits with off-peak times during the day and it was very cramped. I was quite literally always in someone's way and found it very hard to navigate comfortably without moving for someone. I was there seeking out cans of Olipop but they were all dented so I ended up leaving empty handed.

Wow the original location looks insanely spacious! Not the case at the new one on Dundas and Humbercrest, sadly. I tried to time my two visits with off-peak times during the day and it was very cramped. I was quite literally always in someone's way and found it very hard to navigate comfortably without moving for someone. I was there seeking out cans of Olipop but they were all dented so I ended up leaving empty handed.

None of the Summerhill locations are universally spacious.

Some are a bit moreso than others, but all have fairly intimate sizes aisles that are tight for passing another customer, particulaly if either one has a cart.

Back