News   Jun 07, 2024
 737     2 
News   Jun 07, 2024
 305     0 
News   Jun 07, 2024
 434     0 

Downtown Grocery Store List (current + proposed)

This is a fantastic thread. Anyone know or have updates on the following rumors I have heard about my neighborhood (King & Tecumseth/King & Bathurst)?

McEwans - The Thompson Residences (formally TravelLodge site)
Whole Foods - at Front and Bathurst
Longos - 775 King Street West (new Minto building)

Really interested in finding out what is coming our way!

Add to that Loblaws' new pilot store: Nutshell live life well. It's opening at King & Brant next to Cibo. Nutshell will be a kind of upscale Shoppers Drug Mart with a healthy food focus. It's downstairs from me so I'm looking forward to checking it out but given Loblaws prices, I'm not expecting to become a regular customer.

This is a Toronto Life item from last week, but for those who missed it (I did), Mark McEwan has announced that a new location of the McEwan supermarket (smaller than the Don Mills store, focus on prepared foods) will open by end of 2014. Location yet to be announced, but it will be "downtown central".

Mark McEwan heads downtown with a new location of his eponymous gourmet grocery store

They were talking to the Freed's about going in to the Thompson Residences on King West. Not sure if they finalized.

Right and other than the Eatin Centre there's no retail in your definition of "downtown central". McEwan will be somewhere in the king west area which in my books is downtown central....

Right and other than the Eatin Centre there's no retail in your definition of "downtown central". McEwan will be somewhere in the king west area which in my books is downtown central....

There is plenty of retail in the central downtown outside the Eaton Centre - the mall at First Canadian Place alone has 120 stores. My guess is that the store, with its focus on prepared foods, will open up somewhere to serve the denizens of the Financial District.

Bathurst is on the perimeter of the downtown, and it would never occur to me that someone referring to downtown central would be referring to Bathurst and King (anymore than I would expect them to be referring to the north or east edges of the downtown). But since the article provides no more information than that, we'll just have to wait and see.

There is plenty of retail in the central downtown outside the Eaton Centre - the mall at First Canadian Place alone has 120 stores. My guess is that the store, with its focus on prepared foods, will open up somewhere to serve the denizens of the Financial District.

Bathurst is on the perimeter of the downtown, and it would never occur to me that someone referring to downtown central would be referring to Bathurst and King (anymore than I would expect them to be referring to the north or east edges of the downtown). But since the article provides no more information than that, we'll just have to wait and see.

Your reaction brings up an interesting debate/question/conversation - as the city has grown the boundaries of what people consider downtown have also grown. I consider bathurst to be central vis-a-vis Ossington. With places like Parkdale and Liberty VIllage considered "downtown" Bathurst becomes fairly central. It's really about perspective, IMO. And as you note - we don't know the perspective of an errant tweet :)

Based on what I was told - McEwan wanted 7 day a week traffic. (Hence why I didn't consider the FD and the Eaton Centre and its environs don't really lend itself to McEwan's price point - too much traffic is tourist). From a prepared foods perspective King West is grossly underserved.

I've never seen a definition of downtown that includes Parkdale or Liberty Village, and I think it's a real stretch to say they are "considered" downtown. The only way they are downtown is to the extent some people refer to the entirety of the old City of Toronto as downtown (almost always in relation to the other 5 constituent lower-tier municipalities). Don't disagree that Bathurst is central, just not central to the downtown. But, you are absolutely correct that we are debating a tweet, and perceptions of what was meant by two words, and only time will tell what they actually meant. For all we know, current plans may even fall through, eventually resulting in a completely different location altogether for the second location.

We'll make plans to regroup here when they finally announce the location. :)

King/Bathurst is most certainly considered downtown, though right at the edge of it. The downtown core is almost like a triangle, quite wide towards the Waterfront stretching from Cityplace to the Distillery, and starts to peak inwards the more north you get towards Bloor Street - excluding The Annex, Little Italy, etc as "downtown".

Application: Building Additions/Alterations Status: Under Review

TORONTO ON M5V 2H1

Ward 20: Trinity-Spadina

Application#: 14 179973 BLD 00 BA Accepted Date: Jul 8, 2014

Project: Retail Store Interior Alterations

Description: To complete interior alterations and structural re-enforcement for tenant fit up for future "Loblaws"

A good spot for either a Valu-Mart or a No Frills. It takes me less than 10 minutes to walk to the Queen & Portland Loblaws from here.

Might be a smaller store, intended to capture more day-to-day shopping by condo dwellers. Presumably they intend on selling lots of value-added/higher margin prepared foods - might not mesh well with the No Frills value proposition. Valu-Mart would likely mean involving an independent franchise operator.

Just speculating. Possible reasons why they'd open a Loblaws a 10 minute walk from another one. I could be wrong.

Back