News   Apr 26, 2024
 2.3K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 549     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.1K     1 

Downtown Grocery Store List (current + proposed)

honestly good. i've heard bad things about working at Organic Garage. the Oakville location has job postings for cashiers up every week because people keep quitting, and i heard that management doesn't care one bit about employee wellbeing, to the point that they hire people just to watch them through the security cameras and blast them if they aren't "performing properly". usually i'd feel bad about a business going under, but what goes around comes around, and im not going to miss this place, even if they did stock some okay treats once in a while.
It's a shame to hear that. I quite liked the hipstery look of their stores in contrast to the dullness of other grocery chains (the worst offender being Metro).

It's a shame to hear that. I quite liked the hipstery look of their stores in contrast to the dullness of other grocery chains (the worst offender being Metro).
i'll admit they had that aesthetic going for them, which was nice. and for a while, it was a good place to shop, but the prices got too out of control for our liking, and other chains started stocking up on the same organic products that they would have, so the incentive to go there waned. i don't think the produce was ever good though, at least i don't remember the quality being good. hearing that they treat their workers like shit was the last straw, though- i know not every business does that well, but OG sounded like it was egregious and just downright unacceptable. there was a new cashier every month we'd visit. the turnaround was insane!!

i'll admit they had that aesthetic going for them, which was nice. and for a while, it was a good place to shop, but the prices got too out of control for our liking, and other chains started stocking up on the same organic products that they would have, so the incentive to go there waned. i don't think the produce was ever good though, at least i don't remember the quality being good. hearing that they treat their workers like shit was the last straw, though- i know not every business does that well, but OG sounded like it was egregious and just downright unacceptable. there was a new cashier every month we'd visit. the turnaround was insane!!
We need more Sweet Potato locations - I'm assuming they treat their employees fairly well because I've seen the same cashiers for years now, and they generally seem to be very bubbly.

We need more Sweet Potato locations - I'm assuming they treat their employees fairly well because I've seen the same cashiers for years now, and they generally seem to be very bubbly.
i've never been to a Sweet Potato, but by the looks of it, it does look like a properly-run Organic Garage, and the prices don't seem to bad either... i'd say they should try to fill the gap, but i know that's way easier said than done. it would be a shame to have a lack of organic, hipster-y grocers, as much ridicule as they get.

i've never been to a Sweet Potato, but by the looks of it, it does look like a properly-run Organic Garage, and the prices don't seem to bad either... i'd say they should try to fill the gap, but i know that's way easier said than done. it would be a shame to have a lack of organic, hipster-y grocers, as much ridicule as they get.
I couldn't see them taking over the OG Junction location as it's way too close to their own, but perhaps the Liberty Village one could be tempting...

https://www.blogto.com/eat_drink/2024/04/organic-garage-toronto-closing-all-locations/
Bids have been received for all four locations, including purchase agreements for the Junction and Liberty Village locations as well as one that includes both the Thornhill and Oakville locations "which will continue to operate after the transaction closes."
seems like OG isn't being shut down, but rather sold off and seeking a court-approved sale, with agreements already in place. let's hope whoever's buying these locations can actually do better than the last set of folks running it...

https://www.grocerybusiness.ca/industry-news/organic-garage-shutting-down-its-toronto-locations/
even funnier is the fact that the people running the business have been getting their lawyers to take down articles or tell news sites about this lol

Last edited:

Back