News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.6K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 338     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 902     0 

Downtown Decline - Future of Toronto's Downtown Core

That's using rather different boundaries. Toronto has those kinds of numbers in a roughly 5-6 square mile area (Yorkville to the lake, Don River to Spadina/Bathurst). A comparably extensive area of Downtown/Central San Francisco will have far more than 40,000 people. I'd say upwards of 150,000 people, depending on the exact boundaries.
I mean, let’s be real… downtown Toronto is what I would call hyperdense. It’s pretty hard to compete with even if we measured perfectly comparable areas. Even if SF is comparable, Toronto has more of it anyhow. Use the SEDAC population estimator if your super curious.

Last edited:
I mean, let’s be real… downtown Toronto is what I would call hyperdense. It’s pretty hard to compete with even if we measured perfectly comparable areas. Even if SF is comparable, Toronto has more of it anyhow. Use the SEDAC population estimator if your super curious. I might report back with it.
San Francisco is very dense too though, especially in the downtown adjacent neighbourhoods. Using SEDAC, looks like about 240,000 for Toronto vs 190,000 for SF in a comparably sized area. I'd rather use census tract data though if you have a particular area you want to nail down for Toronto. And it's not like those 5 square miles is all SF has, it maintains high population densities into Castro, Mission, Pacific Heights, Haight-Ashbury, even Richmond.

Back