News   Apr 26, 2024
 2.3K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 563     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.2K     1 

Downsview Airport (YZD)

In the wake of the announced Buttonville closure, it might make sense to revisit allowing some limited GA/Executive traffic at Downsview. Other than Pearson, there aren't any airports anywhere near the city that can support a full-size bizjet. Thoughts?

If Buttonville is closing where will the all the private GA aircraft go? The article in the Star said there are 170 aircraft there. Is there another small, GA airport in the GTA?

I may be wrong but wasn't Oshawa mentioned as taking over that role?

In the wake of the announced Buttonville closure, it might make sense to revisit allowing some limited GA/Executive traffic at Downsview. Other than Pearson, there aren't any airports anywhere near the city that can support a full-size bizjet. Thoughts?

It's not that easy. First off, Bombardier needs the flexibility of controlling the airfield for their purposes.

Next, the airfield is occassionally used by the CF as a kind of forward operating base in Toronto. Those kinds of activities create serious issues with security and operational flexibility. I would not want to mix GA/Executive traffic with flight testing and fighter jets on scramble.

I may be wrong but wasn't Oshawa mentioned as taking over that role?

Oshawa, Markham, Brampton, Hamilton will all be expected to pickup the slack.

Longer term the plan is to build the Pickering airport and consolidate Markham and Oshawa (and maybe Island) traffic there.

With the current and future rezoning of all the surrounding lands into med-density neighbourhoods, opening up Downsview to air traffic will be a non-starter due to the Fordite NIMBYs in this portion of the city.

It's actually reasonable to not want Downsview to not go commercial. I live in the area, and I can hear Bombardiers testing going on every now and then. Have a commercial airport with regular flights would make sleeping a little difficult. Other than that, it would be pretty cool to have a commercial airport at Downsview. Do people near the waterfront complain about the noise from Porter?

I live in the Yonge anad Lawrence area and occasionally we have Q400's flying over VERY low to get under the Pearson traffic as they approach Downsview. It's not often enough to be a bother (although I always think it's a plane not quite making it to Pearson before I see that it's just a Bombardier). If Downsview had the traffic Buttonville has it would be a nightmare.

With the current and future rezoning of all the surrounding lands into med-density neighbourhoods, opening up Downsview to air traffic will be a non-starter due to the Fordite NIMBYs in this portion of the city.

I live in the flight path for Downsview, and I wouldn't mind some variety in the planes going over. It's always the same Bombardier turboprops.

How can you have airplanes taking off especially with the condos going up. Those planes fly low. I sure would not wamt to live in one of those condos especially on the higher floors with those planes flying so low.

How can you have airplanes taking off especially with the condos going up. Those planes fly low. I sure would not wamt to live in one of those condos especially on the higher floors with those planes flying so low.

Buildings in the flightpath are restricted in height. So they aren't allowed to build anything that would create a problem like that.

Back