News   May 01, 2024
 940     1 
News   May 01, 2024
 276     0 
News   May 01, 2024
 343     0 

Downstate NY names noted in a Markham neighborhood...

Long Island Mike

Member Bio
Reaction score
Everyone: From studying a recent Toronto regional street map I noticed these Downstate NY names in a section of Markham/Unionville - the area from 16th Avenue in the N;McCowan Road in the E;Carlton Road to the S and Monarch Park to the W - near the Centennial GO station to its S.

This neighborhood is centered around Manhattan Drive and Manhattan Woods Park and Central Park and CP Elementary School.

Street names: Atlantic Avenue;Brooklyn Crescent;Delancey Crescent;Forty Second Street;Greenwich Avenue;Hewlett Crescent;Lexington Drive;Saratoga Road;Soho Crescent;Wall Street and West Side Drive and Woodlawn Road. I left out the most notable name to me for last: LONG ISLAND CRESCENT.

Saratoga is NOT Downstate but the name of a NYS County in eastern NY in the vicinity of Albany.

Does anyone have pics of this area? I suspect it is a suburban subdivision judging by the map I have with McMansions perhaps.

Thanks to all in advance - Long Island Mike -

Last edited:
Yeah, definitely a subdivision, I suppose 80s/90s or so.

And the 42nd Street is a terrific answer to hypothetical trivia question about what "numbered street" in the GTA does not relate to any existing in situ numbering systems past or present.

Interesting you brought this up. I've found a couple of Markham subdivisions where streets share a common theme...

http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=43.847218,-79.256229&spn=0.014051,0.054932&z=15

NW corner of Markham and Denison has streets named after movie stars, while it looks like a subdivision with streets named after Indian cities are popping up on the east side.

http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=43.830471,-79.294724&spn=0.014055,0.054932&z=15

A subdivision north of Steeles between Brimley and Old Kennedy has streets named after World War II RAF airfields, such as Manston, Duxford, Kenley, Tangmere, etc.

Wylie: Thanks for the map link!

Wylie: Thanks for that map link-I noticed thanks to you that some developers have an interesting imagination concerning street names in some subdivisions...LI MIKE

A couple in Brampton:

Named for Detroit Cars:
Buick Blvd, Queen Victoria Dr, Roadmaster Lane, El Camino Way (The Highway Way?), Cadillac Cres, Studebaker Lane.

(Nearby you will see a small section that makes you think that it was a religious fundamentalist that named the streets.)

Composers: Vivaldi, Bach, Mozart, Schubert, Chopin.

Self-referencing names in "Peel Village", named for - get this - villages in Peel County: Tullamore, Terra Cotta, Cheltenham, Palgrave, Erindale, Inglewood, Mono, Belfountain.

Then there are the themed subvisions in Springdale (trees, flowers, landscapes, etc) and the letter sections in Bramalea, in order of layout/construction.

And at the top of Liverpool Road in Pickering, somebody saw fit to use the names "Abbey Road", "Rigby Drive", "Madonna Court", "Halsey Lane"

http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=43.830471,-79.294724&spn=0.014055,0.054932&z=15

A subdivision north of Steeles between Brimley and Old Kennedy has streets named after World War II RAF airfields, such as Manston, Duxford, Kenley, Tangmere, etc.

I wish for stuff like this that the city would include small plaques that provide some history. It's great that we name streets in the city after people and historically significant places but quite often in a few years nobody has a clue why they are named so.

There's a subdivision in Maple near Jane and Teston that has all Islamic names: Bashir St, Ahmadiyya Ave., Mahmood Cresc., etc. I think there's a rather sizable mosque nearby, as well.

There's a subdivision in Maple near Jane and Teston that has all Islamic names: Bashir St, Ahmadiyya Ave., Mahmood Cresc., etc. I think there's a rather sizable mosque nearby, as well.

It's all a masterplanned community, including the mosque. It was marketed to Muslim families.

Even with that, in the GTA Muslims are less likely to live close to their house of worship than any other religious group.

There's a subdivision at Eglinton & Creditview that has "Rose" in every street name: Rosebush Rd, Roseway Dr, Wild Rose St, Edenrose St, Rose Haven Rd, Rose Bloom Rd, Crystal Rose Dr, Silky Rose Ct, Santa Rosa Ct, Royal Rose Ct, Rosemanor Dr, Rosebriar Ct, Rosebank Ct, Rosefield Ct, Vanrose St, Rosewater Ct, Bellarosa Ln, Roseglen Ct,

Another subdivison nearby has lots of "river" references: River Grove Ave, Riverside Pl, Millbrook Ln, Riverdale Cr, Highbrook Ave, Riverway Cr, Coldwater Mews, Riverbrook Cr.

Another has what I imagine are rowing terms: Windfleet Cr, Coxswain Cr, Rowers Cr, Swift Ln

Another has Blue Jays names: Fielder Dr, Delgado Dr, Cruz Ave, Hentgen Blvd, Nolan Rd, Escobar Cr, Clemens Cr.

Funny how this thread's passed with no mention of everyone's favourite, Bendale in Scarborough (with names ranging from Benhur to Benorama)

Back