News   May 01, 2024
 18     0 
News   May 01, 2024
 279     0 
News   May 01, 2024
 348     0 

Don mills--then and now

Is Don Valley Village too far north for this thread? If not, I'd love to see some old photos of The Peanut.

Last edited:
Is Don Valley Village too far north for this thread? If not, I'd love to see some old photos of the Peanut.

I've actually seen a few online from during the construction stage. They're from the southeast end. Not really much to see, but if you know the area, they're evocative all the same. The most impressive I've ever seen of the area is a couple of shots that can be stitched together, taken from one of the apartment buildings on Don Mills just north of Sheppard (possibly Hunter's Lodge), that overlook the intersection around 1965. The development on the southeast corner recently torn down is only being announced on boards. Fairview Mall is notably absent in the corner.

I've actually seen a few online from during the construction stage. They're from the southeast end. Not really much to see, but if you know the area, they're evocative all the same. The most impressive I've ever seen of the area is a couple of shots that can be stitched together, taken from one of the apartment buildings on Don Mills just north of Sheppard (possibly Hunter's Lodge), that overlook the intersection around 1965. The development on the southeast corner recently torn down is only being announced on boards. Fairview Mall is notably absent in the corner.

It is amazing the lack of photo's around concerning Fairview Mall and the Don Mills and Sheppard/Peanut Plaza/Finch area. Post what you like here Lone and we can call it Don Mills north.

It is amazing the lack of photo's around concerning Fairview Mall and the Don Mills and Sheppard/Peanut Plaza/Finch area. Post what you like here Lone and we can call it Don Mills north.

I kept looking for this and looking for this, but I couldn't find it. So, I had to search for these photos again in the online city archives. Found 'em. Two shots taken from an apartment building on Don Mills Road just north of Sheppard Avenue. This view looks south down Don Mills Road, probably in 1965 or 1966, just after Don Mills Road was extended that far north from York Mills Road. At the time, the Peanut was still under construction; this was just about as far north as you could drive on Don Mills Road at the time. On the left, the field where Fairview Mall will (at the time) shortly be built; across Sheppard, the various town house complexes under construction or about to begin. The two apartment buildings in the distance mark the vicinity of Hwy 401.

One thing I find interesting is that the photographer took the time to take two shots that form a panorama, even though actually matching them up in the 1960s would have required someone with considerable skill in the darkroom. I don't imagine the guy was thinking that one day, any old yutz would be able to do it in about 45 seconds in Photoshop, but I'll still credit him, or her, for thinking for the future... even if that future was only that guy in the darkroom someday. :)

8f1b1922.jpg

...And, oh yeah, by the way, Peanut shots...

30f05088.jpg

29145bc4.jpg

I kept looking for this and looking for this, but I couldn't find it. So, I had to search for these photos again in the online city archives. Found 'em. Two shots taken from an apartment building on Don Mills Road just north of Sheppard Avenue. This view looks south down Don Mills Road, probably in 1965 or 1966, just after Don Mills Road was extended that far north from York Mills Road. At the time, the Peanut was still under construction; this was just about as far north as you could drive on Don Mills Road at the time. On the left, the field where Fairview Mall will (at the time) shortly be built; across Sheppard, the various town house complexes under construction or about to begin. The two apartment buildings in the distance mark the vicinity of Hwy 401.

One thing I find interesting is that the photographer took the time to take two shots that form a panorama, even though actually matching them up in the 1960s would have required someone with considerable skill in the darkroom. I don't imagine the guy was thinking that one day, any old yutz would be able to do it in about 45 seconds in Photoshop, but I'll still credit him, or her, for thinking for the future... even if that future was only that guy in the darkroom someday. :)

8f1b1922.jpg

Nice one lone. Do you think the apt. back left is 135 Fenelon?

Nice one lone. Do you think the apt. back left is 135 Fenelon?

Good call. I hadn't even thought about that. Oddly enough, a friend of mine moved in there last summer and out of curiosity I was looking it up in the old papers. First reference to it I found was in the summer of 1966, so I imagine the place was at least under construction in 1965. I imagine that is 135 Fenelon there.

Good call. I hadn't even thought about that. Oddly enough, a friend of mine moved in there last summer and out of curiosity I was looking it up in the old papers. First reference to it I found was in the summer of 1966, so I imagine the place was at least under construction in 1965. I imagine that is 135 Fenelon there.

The 2 Havenbrook Apts. are there , no sign of Graydon Hall yet and I think you can just make out the 401. Nobody in the construction business was unemployed in those days.

Back