News   May 14, 2024
 703     0 
News   May 14, 2024
 1K     0 
News   May 14, 2024
 501     0 

Does Toronto needs a new logo? How to improve our image in the world?

Which logo would fit Toronto?

• Matthew Daley

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Matt Webb

Votes: 2 5.9%
  • Max Young

Votes: 6 17.6%
  • Clarice Gomes

Votes: 3 8.8%
  • Matthew Blackett

• Mark Ruivo

Votes: 4 11.8%
  • Kait Bos

Votes: 3 8.8%
  • Matthew Bambach

• Status Quo

Votes: 12 35.3%

• Total voters
The current city hall logo is clunky and cheesy. Does any other city use their city hall as the official logo that represents them? I too like the metro logo and wouldn't mind seeing it brought back. What's to modernize?

Mods, please add "Metro Toronto logo" to the poll. There would be many who would love to vote in favour of that logo.

I don't see a way to edit the poll.

I think we may need to wait until next October to see what our new vision is, and then work on re-branding ourselves.

The current city hall logo is clunky and cheesy. Does any other city use their city hall as the official logo that represents them? I too like the metro logo and wouldn't mind seeing it brought back. What's to modernize?

Kind of. Maybe not as the official municipal logo but using buildings as the international symbol is common.

Eiffel Tower - Paris
Colosseum - Rome
Big Ben - London
Opera House - Sydney
Empire State building - New York

and so on.

Toronto City Hall is a unique building, so on those grounds alone the design has merit. Could use updating though.

Mississauga does. They also have a unique city hall. Brampton used to after their downtown city hall opened in 1990 or so, but went to the "Flower City" logo relatively recently.

I don't mind Toronto City Hall being part of the city's logo. It's an iconic building and a well-recognized symbol itself of civic government. It's also in the city flag, though it's more abstract. Plus if done right, it makes a T.

I believe that we should modernize this logo:
Metro_Toronto_Logo.jpg

Add more colours to it, as well as making it look 3D.

After all, modernized throwbacks are popular.

Agree about bringing this beautiful logo back, strongly disagree with modernizing it. The lettering can be removed and "Toronto" used in a nice clean typeface to the side of it when necessary, but the logo is still great as is.

I wish they would revert to the old Ontario logo as well, it was much much nicer than the swooshy modern crap that replaced it.

Agree about bringing this beautiful logo back, strongly disagree with modernizing it. The lettering can be removed and "Toronto" used in a nice clean typeface to the side of it when necessary, but the logo is still great as is.

The Metro logo was clever when it was adopted when it represented the six lower tier municpalities, but it has little use anymore. I'm not a huge fan of the 140 neighbourhood boundaries for place making (they are very useful for planning and such as they are coherent and based on census geographies), but because Toronto is multiple places in one big city, Blackett's logo is better than Metro if you want to represent all of Toronto, but for a civic logo, City Hall works great.

I identify more with my neigbourhood more than the former city I live in, but of course, I identify with Toronto as a whole more than with my neighbourhood (I've lived in 4 different locations within Toronto since I moved out of Brampton).

Toronto's logo is terrible, though the basic concept isn't bad.

I'm not sure any of these options would be something I'd choose (I realize some of them weren't serious).

Toronto's logo is terrible, though the basic concept isn't bad.

I'm not sure any of these options would be something I'd choose (I realize some of them weren't serious).

The logo wouldn't look so bad if the image of City Hall wasn't so heavy-handed. If it were more delicate and had finer lines, it could look alright. I also dislike the slash that is used to depict the council chamber; it looks really amateurish. And as mentioned, the text is awful. Overall, I'd prefer to see a logo that is more original. Maybe a rusty utility pole could be implemented? Nothing says, 'Toronto', more than our pristine public realm.

Last edited:
I think a new logo should be the least of Torontonians' concerns just now. I am surprised no one has use the "lipstick on a pig" cliché yet. What Toronto needs is a new political culture. In a city where most every issue and every council meeting turns into a grade-eight level bun fight cum popularity contest cum flight from the facts, and 40% believe Slob Frod merits re-election (let alone a continuing supply of air, water, and food), a new logo would fall fairly short of cosmeticizing swine in its impact.

Back