News   Apr 26, 2024
 704     3 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 243     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 725     0 

Does anyone remember a school reading textbook with a dog named "Mr. Mugs"?

wild goose chase

Member Bio
Reaction score
I think they have been around for a while (don't know if they are used anymore), but there was a series of kid's books used in school with a sheepdog character, Mr. Mugs. I looked it up and they have been used in the 70s and 80s, but I went to elementary school in the early 90s and still remember them being used.

I even remember my teacher giving Mr. Mugs pins or buttons as a reward for doing well in class.

No.

However, I do remember a Grade 9 core French textbook containing one page (which shows a fake movie poster for a monster film called "Zagora", which is just a giant horned lizard with poorly Photoshopped bat wings).

The only other mention of this was in the TV Tropes entry for Attack of the 50-Foot Whatever:
On page 73 of the Canadian grade 9 French textbook Sans Frontières we see a movie poster for Zagora. The monster is just a Horned Lizard with wings badly photoshopped onto in.

Source: http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/AttackOfThe50FootWhatever

Unfortunately, images of Zagora are un-Googleable. It would have been good if a student scanned that page.

There is one French textbook dating from 1980 featuring some French-language rock star named Marcel Météore (complete with photographs of him). Unfortunately, he too is un-Googleable (as the Internet in 1980 was restricted to researchers in universities (not students) and the military) and his appearance in the textbook predates the birth of some (our present) Internet billionaires.

Back