881     0 

Distillery District

coming to the former cacao 70 location…

IMG_8450.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_8451.jpeg
    IMG_8451.jpeg
    162.7 KB · Views: 20
The Christmas booths are already back, and all the public seating is gone. I look forward to two months of traffic chaos in the surrounding area, which is already nightmarish due to the 76 simultaneous construction projects nearby.

Was it always paid admission? I don't remember that from the last time I visited, and I always enjoy paying for the privilege of spending more money.

Used to be free on weekdays, at least in daytime. I see no reason to pay so that I can buy junk food in a crowded area!

How as attendance at last month's Christmas Market, compared to other years? It was absolutely packed in previous years, even with the ticketing.

Unsure if this is the right place to discuss this, but I couldn't find another thread in the forum for it.

As the neighbourhood develops, are there plans to expand the Christmas Market East towards Tannery Road, and then North towards Front as those parking lots fill in? Especially given the pedestrian-first design of Maple House and other developments in the area.

According to some news sites, the market hosted 700,000 visitors in 2021 over its 6-week run. It seems like the most obvious solution is to expand the footprint to ease crowding, and then add more vendors to make the affair more attractive. No amount of Google-Fu I attempt yields any info on this. Anyone have an inside scoop?

Unsure if this is the right place to discuss this, but I couldn't find another thread in the forum for it.

As the neighbourhood develops, are there plans to expand the Christmas Market East towards Tannery Road, and then North towards Front as those parking lots fill in? Especially given the pedestrian-first design of Maple House and other developments in the area.

According to some news sites, the market hosted 700,000 visitors in 2021 over its 6-week run. It seems like the most obvious solution is to expand the footprint to ease crowding, and then add more vendors to make the affair more attractive. No amount of Google-Fu I attempt yields any info on this. Anyone have an inside scoop?
So you're suggesting expanding the market through the Canary District / West Don Lands neighbourhood?

Interesting idea, but I would be surprised to see that happen. The Distillery District is privately owned and operated, with its own security, and has the ability to control entrances and exits, which is necessary for ticketing and liquor licensing. The Distillery is also permanently pedestrianized, so there's no need for street closures during festivals. The Winter Village runs 7-days-a-week for 6 weeks and I can't think of any precedent in Toronto for a festival closing down public streets for more than a few days, and even that is controversial and challenging (ie. notice Taste of the Danforth is not happening this year).

I also think the Victorian-Dickensian-cobblestone aesthetic is pretty key to the lure of the Winter Village. I love the Canary District but its architecture is very modern.

The thing that I'm wondering is with all the new residents piling into the area in coming years, whether the Christmas Market- er, Winter Village will be able to continue in its current form. As we've seen- parking has disappeared, more residential traffic will occur and incur more complaints. If you look at the moves within the Distillery, they opted to split from Artscape (after their contract ended) and put in a permanent tenant with Boreal College, and they've turned their biggest event space into Illuminarium. So will it pivot from large special events to residential needs? Obviously the market/village makes too much money to stop- but maybe it will transform.

So you're suggesting expanding the market through the Canary District / West Don Lands neighbourhood?
Perhaps not that far, but something more along the lines of this:
1711476344473.png

Where the current outline is marked in blue, and my theory of how it could expand marked in red once the corresponding developments finish. This is obv not based in any hard fact except my takes on where the neighbourhood is and how it's changing.

To the best of my knowledge, there's only one road (Cherry St) in this enclosure, and it wouldn't necessarily need to close to pedestrians, just have added precautions from the additional pedestrian traffic crossing the streets. Hell, they could even erect a temporary pedestrian bridge the same way some markets in Europe do. There's still reasonably enforceable 'borders' so the market can manage ticketing, and most of the streetscape in this boundary is pedestrianized in each building's respective development applications.

On the European note, Holiday Markets across the pond are never ticketed affairs, are much more densely packed with a variety of local vendors (not just corporate reputation management). They have lots of people but it's never crowded the same way Toronto's is. They're pleasant places to explore, which should be the goal here.

Expanding the existing market like the above would roughly double its footprint. To @jxmith_ 's point, I don't think the Winter Village will ever stop as it's a huge revenue generator, even if all the parking in the area disappeared. (To my understanding, Green P will manage some public parking in underground lots in the canary district.) The Distillery District organization seem to be at a real crossroads in terms of where the Village will go next - stay the current size and lose out on a great opportunity, or grow to meet the demand.

Finally, I understand that the industrial chic aesthetic is important for the character of the market, but also essentially all nearby developments are folding in red brick/cobblestone hardscaping anyway, so it would be a pretty seamless integration. It won't be the 'core' of the distillery, but again, a decision must be made to address these insane crowds.

Toronto can't keep going on growing like it has while having the same sized amenities. We should have competing Winter Villages to meet the insane demand of these places, last time I went (2019) it was so densely-packed the crowds were beginning to take on fluid characteristics, not dissimilar to a pre-crowd-crush feeling.

Back