338     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 902     0 

Dickey's BBQ

Northern Light

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
I tried the above U.S chain for the first, and quite probably last time, when taking photos for UT this past week.

First the link, then the discussion:

Your preface is that I like smoked brisket. It can be a bit fatty/rich, but in moderation w/some good crunchy coleslaw on top in a sandwich, it can be quite nice, once a month or so...

So w/hearing this established U.S.chain had set up shop here, it was in the back of my mind to try it, and when I saw it while taking pics of Immix, I thought, why not? Let's give it a go.

So the good news here is somewhat sparing, but we'll start there.......The description sounded good enough, and seeing as I was the only customer when I walked in at lunch time on a Friday........I didn't have to wait long for service (it's to-go style service, but w/seating). I grabbed the sandwich w/coleslaw as my side (a combo)......which rang up to a whopping $19.99+ tax, and then the fountain drink was an extra couple of dollars. All-in, it was $25 and change. Of course, as per our recent discussion on UT, there was a debit prompt for a tip. Sigh.

Not a great start.....but oh well.

So the sandwich was decent'ish.........the bun was actually good; and the brisket had decent flavour.....but was slightly dry. I don't think they hold it in an au jus, just chunks in a hotel pan.....
It doesn't come w/anything extra on it, except for the BBQ sauce of your choice and onions/pickles on the side, which I presume you can ask for on top.
I asked for the 'spicy' BBQ sauce............is black pepper supposed to be spicy? Honestly I don't know what heat they used......but it was barely there.
The onion was straight-up and forgettable yellow onion sliced; the pickles weren't bad.......nothing amazing, but a bit of bite and a modest zing.

But for over $25 for a self-service meal........You gotta do better.

Now for the real let down.........the coleslaw.............OMG was this bad...........it was semi-gelatinous green pudding.
Not the finely shredded pablum of KFC of old..........which wasn't any good either for the record............
But something similar with chunks of stuff floating in liquid w/what looks like 1/2 dissolved gelatin.........that might be recognizable as cabbage if you squinted.

I like a good coleslaw.........it was so visually unappetizing, but I forced myself to try it.........it wasn't much better than it looked, I think I managed to get through 1/3 of it............

There's some vague potential in this concept........but Beach Hills and the problematic anti-Covid lockdown Adamson both have this placed lapped 10x over for the price.

Thumbs down.

Last edited:
Likely wasn't on my radar to try, but appreciate the heads up so to speak. BBQ is one of those things you can't phone in. Happy to support our far superior locals anyway, although the downfall of Adamson was unfortunate as it used to be one of my favourites. Beach Hill by all accounts should take the crown, I just need to get myself out there.

And messing up coleslaw? Shameful. I love it too, such an integral side.

Likely wasn't on my radar to try, but appreciate the heads up so to speak. BBQ is one of those things you can't phone in. Happy to support our far superior locals anyway, although the downfall of Adamson was unfortunate as it used to be one of my favourites. Beach Hill by all accounts should take the crown, I just need to get myself out there.

And messing up coleslaw? Shameful. I love it too, such an integral side.

Completely agree on Adamson.

Beach Hill has an outpost in the west end if that's anymore convenient, in Bloor West Village.

Lots of places do a rather pedestrian coleslaw, not enough interesting about it/too bland, but its rare to mess it up so badly it's borderline inedible. That was the case here.

Beach Hill put Cilantro and jalapeno in theirs.

Completely agree on Adamson.

Beach Hill has an outpost in the west end if that's anymore convenient, in Bloor West Village.

Lots of places do a rather pedestrian coleslaw, not enough interesting about it/too bland, but its rare to mess it up so badly it's borderline inedible. That was the case here.

Beach Hill put Cilantro and jalapeno in theirs.
I am in Durham Region these days, so even less convenient unfortunately! I have friends in the Beaches area though, so there's a good excuse to get out there soon enough.

By your description I'm imagining that old neon green, slimy coleslaw you'd find in the grocery store delis- but somehow even worse. Off-putting indeed.

I am in Durham Region these days, so even less convenient unfortunately! I have friends in the Beaches area though, so there's a good excuse to get out there soon enough.

By your description I'm imagining that old neon green, slimy coleslaw you'd find in the grocery store delis- but somehow even worse. Off-putting indeed.

This is close to what I saw (poached from a linked Yelp review)

1687377391997.png

Mine was greener, and way milkier (liquid more than 1/3 of the way up the cup)

Beach Hill has buzz for best BBQ? Their storefront and signage at the Bloor location did not inspire any confidence to my passing eyes.

Back