691     0 
News   Sep 19, 2024
 536     0 
News   Sep 19, 2024
 866     0 

Detroit Opera House photo tour

W

wyliepoon

Photos from the Detroit Opera House that I took on Saturday morning, during my weekend in Detroit with a few forumers.

Here's a short background/history of the Detroit Opera House (formerly the Capitol Theatre) from Wikipedia...

The Detroit Opera House, opened on January 22, 1922 as the Capitol Theater, is the current venue for all Michigan Opera Theatre productions and other events. The Opera House was designed by C. Howard Crane, the same man who designed other Detroit theatres such as the State Theater, Fox Theater and the Detroit Symphony Orchestra's Orchestra Hall, noted for its acoustic perfection.

Opened at the corner of Broadway and Madison in 1922 as the Capitol Theater, the Opera House was the first of many performance venues built around Detroit's Grand Circus Park. When it opened, the Opera House was the fifth-largest theater in the world, being able to hold up to 4,250 guests. The Capitol Theater's name was changed to the Paramount Theater in 1929, and again changed in 1934 to the Broadway Capitol Theater. Artists that performed in the building's first few decades included jazz legends Louis Armstrong and Duke Ellington. A minor restoration ensued in the 1960s, and it became the Grand Circus Theater, a 3,367 seat movie house. After closing in 1978, reopening in 1981 and closing again in 1985, Grand Circus Theater would finally be adopted in 1988 by the formerly roaming Michigan Opera Theater, becoming known by its current name, the Detroit Opera House. It is currently configured with seating for 2,700. The building underwent an extensive restoration in the 2000s. Recently, the opera house has yearly hosted about 5 opera productions, 5 dance productions from touring companies and a small number of other musical and comedy events.

Enjoy the photos, because even though they might still be able to build/restore like this, they probably don't design like this anymore!

Ford Lobby (one of two entrances to the theatre, one for patrons who arrived by car, the other by those who came by streetcar- similar arrangement to the Canon Theatre in Toronto). The ceiling is covered in glass which resembles the original Tiffany glass ceiling of the theatre.

P1060199.jpg

P1060199.jpg

The foyer

P1060195.jpg

P1060202.jpg

P1060204.jpg

P1060207.jpg

Upstairs, the GM Lounge overlooks Comerica Park across the street, home of your 2006 American League champions Detroit Tigers...

P1060208.jpg

P1060209.jpg

P1060213.jpg

Closeup of terra cotta work... presented by Verizon.

The main attraction... the auditorium

P1060186.jpg

P1060188.jpg

P1060191.jpg

P1060192.jpg

P1060193.jpg

P1060205.jpg

Private boxes

P1060216.jpg

P1060217.jpg

P1060220.jpg

Very nice. Thanks for the photos.

I've got to ask, did everyone leave Detroit that day? It looks like you had the place all to yourself.

Nice photos. The scale of the place is impressive - are any of Toronto's old theatres that big? Interesting that they call it the Opera House, even though it's not a purpose built opera house like the Four Seasons Centre.

Beautiful- almost overwhelming. I don't believe Toronto has a theatre that is as large or certainly as grandiose. The Canon theatre is probably the closest thing. The hummingbird centre would be a bit larger but it's certainly not from that era.

This reminds me very much of the Pantages (Canon). Love these old theatres!

I've got to ask, did everyone leave Detroit that day?

Even though it was Auto Show weekend, very few people came to the tour (miketoronto, who recommended the tour, made reservations in advance). Besides us, there were a few people from American Sault Ste. Marie who came on the tour.

thank you!

Thanks for the great pics. They just stirred up memories, long-buried, of seeing Les Mis there in the 90s. I completely forgot I had ever seen the building (and the musical) ...

Guess growing up in Windsor wasn't all bad :)

Back