News   Apr 26, 2024
 625     3 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 231     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 713     0 

DESIGN OF DISTINCTION - Congratulations to The Braided Strands

I think the charette shone a light on whether or not this forum membership could become a legitimate voice to influence urban design in Toronto.

The short answer is... not a chance. The lack of support for the charette, from the first call for help which yielded nothing, to the handful of members who actually bothered to comment on the submissions... speaks to what a collection of opinionated spectators this place will always be.

The designers should be applauded for their efforts, and the tiny volunteer working group (who committed many, many hours to this first attempt to rally some support) remained committed to the charette for months.

The handful of members who managed to offer a few words of comment and the hundred or so who worked up enough steam to click a vote button, was beyond disappointing given the collective hundreds of hours put forth.

Even the forum's own moderators couldn't be bothered to contribute a couple of words. I'd rate the member performance about a 1.8 out of 10.

As someone who remained quiet throughout this process, I wanted to let you know that it wasn't for lack of interest. While I enjoy reading about architecture, engineering & urban design, I really don't feel like I know enough to start critiquing bridge designs.

So, yes, I was just a spectator - but I enjoyed the charette as a spectator. That counts for something.

It's definitely very difficult for virtual users to actually have an effective voice over something. Especially with the such other sites like Facebook, or Twitter, where supporting causes becomes fads, be it charity or projects such as the DRL, the presence of other online groups is diminished.

If there was an actual physical presence of the groups (i.e. monthly meetings) then maybe UT would hold more clout.

Considering that the winning submission received 136 votes, of 1,183 active members, a whopping 11 percent, in most polling situations the quorum wouldn't have been met making the decision invalid.

No offence to anybody but I think the expectations were unrealistic (if we thought this would influence anything).

The designs were not done to any strict standards or budgets (the winning design would have cost much more than the money available...so how was one to take it seriously?), the people who were in control of the actual bridge and design had artists and engineers already involved (thus making our little project a bit redundant) and we did not have any personal contact or facetime with the people that actually mattered.

This was a bit of a fanboy exercise. It was fun, worthwhile and maybe a bit influencial. But we were not going to dictate the design or anything.

Forgive my bluntness, but as one of the core members of BTDG, I don't recall your involvement? We sent out e-blasts, put messages in the Picture of the Day and title blocks, sent emails, wrote articles and yet, our group never grew beyond 5 members. As 3D noted above, this is a dismal effort for a forum nearly 5000 strong.

This charette was/is not about finding a design for this bridge, something we at BTDG made abundantly clear. We simply wanted to restart discussion and, possibly, embarrass Concord a little along the way. It was a fanboy exercise yes, but it was still one worth pursuing since we know Toronto can do better.

ProjectEnd, I am not quite sure why there was hostility in your reply. And I am not quite sure why my 'lack of' involvement in BTDG is relevant (I am involved in many projects and groups around the city, none of which I talk about in this forum. I am not sure why involvement in BTDG has anything to do a discussion as to process).

I also stated that I thought the exercise was 'fun' and 'worthwhile'. I think I was just responding to the people jumping up and down saying 'why isn't the city listening to me?' and 'why don't they build our bridge?'

Alklay, the 'hostility' in my response stems only from the fact that our recruitment efforts were met with little or no response and now, post-facto, posters use an ambiguous 'we' when referring to BTDG.

New Calgary Proposal by Calatrava

Suprised no one picked up on this one from cowtown. $25M for this baby.

(Mods - I wanted to start a new thread, but it is blocked.)

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/calgary/story/2009/07/28/calgary-peace-bridge-drawings.html#socialcomments

cgypeacebridgefullsize.jpg

A tubular, covered bridge for pedestrians and cyclists will span Calgary's Bow River, according to newly released architectural drawings.

The Peace Bridge's design by award-winning Spanish architect Santiago Calatrava was posted on the City of Calgary's website Tuesday.

The footbridge for pedestrians and bicycles will be west of Prince's Island Park and connect Eau Claire to Sunnyside. It will be just over six metres wide, covered for year-round use and lit at night.

Mayor Dave Bronconnier revealed the name of the $22-million bridge Monday.

Peace Bridge alludes to its link to Peace Park at Seventh Street S.W. on the south side of the Bow River, as well as its future location along Memorial Drive, which was named in honour of soldiers killed in the First World War, he said.

"It is about peace and that's something that Canadians are known globally for," said Bronconnier. "Peace Bridge really connects with what Canada's military speaks of, what Memorial Drive represents, and that is that people who have given the ultimate sacrifice should be remembered."

The bridge will be lit up at night. (Santiago Calatrava)Council approved spending $25 million in September 2008 to design and construct the footbridge. The funding, from provincial infrastructure grants, includes a contingency fund and project administration and covers the costs of a conceptual design for a second bridge at the west end of St. George's Island.

Ald. Ric McIver has tried to persuade council to scrap the plan.

The bridge is scheduled to be completed in late 2010. Bronconnier has said the pedestrian span is a necessity that will be used by more than 5,000 people daily.

Wow, that's more than a bridge, it's a mini-city.
Pretty spectacular, was there an estimated cost?

Back