News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.6K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 350     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 910     1 

Department Stores then and now

The first Kmart I ever knew was at the E end of Albion Mall (is Canadian Tire there now?)

Yes. By the late 90's - very early 2000's, Kmart was replaced by Canadian Tire in the Albion Mall. It's a lot cleaner and livelier than the older Canadian Tire on Kipling
and Rexdale.

The first Canadian Tire I remember visiting was the location that used to sit on Highway 27 and Carrier Dr. (close to Dr. Flea's) . The location was converted into the Sikh Spiritual Centre also in the late 90's, while keeping its former Canadian Tire structure intact.

Pen Centre was in St. Catharines, not Pickering.

Pickering had Sheridan Mall, which then became Pickering Town Centre.

Ajax had Harwood Place Mall (an indoor mall), which is now a strip mall with an office tower. Its original anchor stores were a Miracle Food Mart at the east end, and a 3-level Sayvette at the west end. Among the smaller tenants were a Lisanne's fabric store and the Pen Centre Family Restaurant.

Sayvette's was the discount chain's last remaining store, and it closed in 1977. It became a 2-level Woolco, and when Woolco went bust, it became a Walmart. Then, the mall was turned into its current form, anchored by a Food Basics at the east end, and a 1-level Shoppers Drug Mart at the west end.
Out of curiosity, was this a one level mall or two level mall. I also heard there was a movie theatre, do you have an old mall map of the Harwood Place Mall or photos. Would love to see it.

Last edited:

Back