News   Apr 26, 2024
 2.3K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 549     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.1K     1 

Danforth Line 2 Scarborough Subway Extension

Toronto will be fully funding the Scarborough Busway.

GFQvBtJWQAA_z2F.png

In no way at all coordinated with Chow's budget, I published a YouTube video about my walk along the RT line in October (as well as the Stouffville Line). The intent was to document the line before something happened to it (like converting it into a busway).

Side note: this was my first test using a GoPro to document one of my walks, and my first video of a new format I'm hoping to carry on for 2024.

Great news! Now let’s speed this up and start work asap. Work on what you can while waiting for environmental assesment

Great news! Hopefully this gets built quickly

I just saw this from the Scarborough Subway IG account's story, posted Jan 12:
"Diggy Scardust has tunnelled 823 m or 11.9% of journey".

I don't know if this is new info.

(Edit to correct Stardust to Scardust. I blame autocorrect!)
View attachment 533002
Today's Metrolinx board meeting indicated they moved 27m to 850/~7800.

Unsure what date that was from, but assume it's quite recent (feb) data. Sounds as if they are falling further behind. 27 metres in ~30 days? Even if this data is a week or two off, it still is well below target.

Verbal update was mismatched with media... It is at ~900 metres with a pause for a couple weeks to get ready to go under the 401 (apparently they cannot stop once going).

Last edited:
Monday metrolinx sent out email update of TBM progress, unfortunately still north of 401. How long will it take to get to the intervention shaft south of Brimorton so this problem can get fixed? The closure allowance of sidewalks around the launch site have been extended by 21 months. This is from city notes:

“Metrolinx has submitted a request for an extension of the temporary sidewalk closure
until December 31, 2025. This extension is sought to accommodate the ongoing tunnel
boring operations, which have experienced schedule adjustments due to challenges
associated with the tunnel boring machine operation and maintenance.”

Monday metrolinx sent out email update of TBM progress, unfortunately still north of 401. How long will it take to get to the intervention shaft south of Brimorton so this problem can get fixed? The closure allowance of sidewalks around the launch site have been extended by 21 months. This is from city notes:

“Metrolinx has submitted a request for an extension of the temporary sidewalk closure
until December 31, 2025. This extension is sought to accommodate the ongoing tunnel
boring operations, which have experienced schedule adjustments due to challenges

Hint to Journalists: there is a great article in this.

Suggested title: "Where in the world is Diggy Scardust?"

- Paul

and meanwhile theyre still working at union mandated speeds with that 10am coffee break and 4pm dismissal. This is a potentially huge problem that has ripple effects up and down the project schedule. they need to be scheduling extra crews and shifts to sort this problem 24/7 if needed.

I was just trying to find the express buses from Kennedy GO station, man in true TTC fashion not a single sign after going into the tunnel, I kinda guessed my way to where that temporary bus terminal was, which is where I heard that bus will be.

Also, is this a fare paid terminal outside? No one tapped their cards at all, but it was outside the Presto gates.

and meanwhile theyre still working at union mandated speeds with that 10am coffee break and 4pm dismissal. This is a potentially huge problem that has ripple effects up and down the project schedule. they need to be scheduling extra crews and shifts to sort this problem 24/7 if needed.
Your prejudice against the hard working people who do the unglamorous work that keeps the economy going surfaces in many of your posts.

Having worked on a tunnel job (a long time ago admittedly) I'd suggest that, when the TBM is functional, there are probably 2 crews, each working an 11 hour shift with breaks taken in the TBM. If the TBM is out of action, the tunneling crews will either have been laid off or their pay packets have dropped by 50%.

Your prejudice against the hard working people who do the unglamorous work that keeps the economy going surfaces in many of your posts.

Having worked on a tunnel job (a long time ago admittedly) I'd suggest that, when the TBM is functional, there are probably 2 crews, each working an 11 hour shift with breaks taken in the TBM. If the TBM is out of action, the tunneling crews will either have been laid off or their pay packets have dropped by 50%.
hard working =/= lazy. my prejudice will change when i see an infrastructure job site where they dont have 4 people staring down at 1 person doing the job and where they dont take months to fix a curb just to cut it out and fix it again.
i work in the construction industry myself so i know a thing or 2 when it comes to constructing efficiently.

Back