News   May 17, 2024
 1K     0 
News   May 17, 2024
 652     0 
News   May 17, 2024
 6.2K     7 

Danforth Line 2 Scarborough Subway Extension

All I'm saying is that the proposed LRT to Sheppard & Progress is dead. It was already dead, now it's even more dead. Josh Matlow et al. can keep floating the dead proposal, or come up with a new one. If this is about Scarborough's transit, then they'll come up with a new one. If this is about getting support from their downtown constituents in 2018, they'll keep talking about their dead proposal.

If you want to make it about the other side, you can, but pointing fingers isn't going to change anyone's mind on this issue.

It is always about the "other side" - it's Scarborough transit afterall. It is funny to drag out Malvern (i.e. longer LRT) when it is opportune and then have nothing to fall back on when called to task just how the proposed SEE scheme provide benefits to said group. Like I've said, I look forward to seeing how SSE will do that.

As to "downtown constituents" - I highly doubt anyone is going to vote for or against a councilor on the basis of where they stand on transit in Scarborough.

The only way the SSE proposal is tolerable at this point is if they add-in intermediate stations at Eglinton-Brimley and Lawrence-McCowan. Even if it costs us another $300 million, it'd be worth it. To bring up something BurlOak posted some pages back, nothing's stopping them from elevating the Lawrence East station onto a bridge as to avoid the water table issues at that intersection. It could be done.

It had been done before at Leslie.

AoD

I'd suggest that the rift between the core and suburbs owes much to a crowd of suburban councillors who have consistently demonized people living in the old City and have hijacked what little money we have for infrastructure to build SSE strictly on the grounds of suburban identity politics, while rejecting any data-driven analysis and professional planning. Which also ensures we won't be able to afford any transit investments that actually make sense.

I respectfully understand what you are trying to say in your opinion but its looked at from one side of the glass. And trust me a take no defence to the stupid things done or said by any Politicians in this debate. But I fully disagree as all Politicians have played a part on both sides. Looking at it from the other side as well id say a good portion of the extreme polarizing support we see today is mainly due to Downtown centric political views and "facts" to support only one side of the debates are being trumpeted and quite loud thru the media and an uncompromising "holier than thou" dictatorship tone from Councillors themselves. This has gone on for long enough to impact enough people in a very negative manner. The inner suburban voters have been apathetic for some time an the extent of apathy has grown to the point it can be used by Politicians for gain. Certainly pretty ugly Politicians at that. There is a few underlying problems that has caused the Politics of today. (Inadequate funding or capital planning is also huge one in this debate). To me they are all issues that can be easy changed going forward but given the state of our Politics and how slow things work i dont see it resolving itself soon.

For the flack Ford takes on this subject he did try a compromise. Something the opposition has not even attempted to this day. There is nothing wrong with the idea of a Scarborough subway extension to SCC but there is quite a bit wrong with the current subway proposal. And thats not on Ford or any other suburban Councillor that's all on Tory and his pet Smarttrack. And the only reason he can get away with this is because so many voters are concerned about the polarizing figure on the other side of the debate and the fear of further lack of action

Last edited:
I don't know if you know this, but Ford lost the last election. That sort of means we don't have to pretend he won.

No certainly the candidate wearing the transfer LRT badge lost the election and by quite a bit. Ford was very close and that was with Tory wearing hopeful 3 stop subway and massive Smartrack fantasy

Aside from cost Tory's plan has been stripped to bare bones and neutered. I actually don't want to see Ford , but lets be honest here the door is been left open with the state of the current Tory plan. If the opposition candidate was smart they would get off the transfer LRT plan, modify it and come to the table with a compromise that is palatable. And im not sure what that plan could look like at this point. But Tory's plan can be easily improved for saving and added stop no matter what.

No certainly the candidate wearing the transfer LRT badge lost the election and by quite a bit. Ford was very close and that was with Tory wearing hopeful 3 stop subway and massive Smartrack fantasy

Aside from cost Tory's plan has been stripped to bare bones and neutered. I actually don't want to see Ford , but lets be honest here the door is been left open with the state of the current Tory plan. If the opposition candidate was smart they would get off the transfer LRT plan, modify it and come to the table with a compromise that is palatable. And im not sure what that plan could look like at this point. But Tory's plan can be easily improved for saving and added stop no matter what.

Ford lost. Sorry. You keep trying to use him as some sort of boogey man.

Perhaps the non existent SmartTrack proposal can be cancelled as well to help pay for additional stops on this extension.

Exactly. The opposition could cancel Smarttrack, reluctantly propose to change the subway corridor to the RT, add stops and defend the Sheppard and Eglinton LRT lines. Something Ford wont do and it may receive some reasonable support in Scarborough. If they show up with the same plan it will be tough

Ford lost. Sorry. You keep trying to use him as some sort of boogey man.

Thats a very good word for him. Election time is coming very soon and we should all be concerned of the boogey man :) Or you can just pretend it doesn't exist? Up to you...

Last edited:
Exactly. The opposition could cancel Smarttrack, reluctantly propose to change the corridor to the RT, add stops and defend the Sheppard and Eglinton lines. Something Ford wont do and it may receive some reasonable support in Scarborough.

Thats a very good word for him. Election time is coming very soon & we should all be concerned of the boogey man :) Or you can pretend it doesn't exist. Up to you.

Well, since he's currently (according to him) running for leadership of the Conservative Party; MPP; Mayor; and leadership of the Provincial conservative party, I think it's pretty fair to ignore him.

Because I'm bored at work, I present to you:

In light of the recent alignment vote at City Counil, it looks like using McCowan as the right-of-way is a done deal. So let's make the best of it, and envision how future expansion could some day make its way to Morningside Heights.

The curve to get overhead Progress Avenue is actually very feasible with where the station box will be at SCC, so I have it do that following the proposed SRT path to Malvern. Only change, it stays underground through Malvern with a centrally located station at Neilson and following Sewells Rd out to Morningside and Finch, with the terminal occurring in the woodlot south of Old Finch.

I consolidated the Pharmacy and Lebovic stops; Kingston, Golf Club and Guildwood Pkwy stops; and Lawrence and Morningside stops; and axed the Midland, Falmouth, Mason, West Hill HS, and Morningside/Ellesmere stops in this map - please, don't be mad. We just need to put the RT back in LRT, not turn it into a glorified streetcar service.

Because I'm bored at work, I present to you:

In light of the recent alignment vote at City Counil, it looks like using McCowan as the right-of-way is a done deal. So let's make the best of it, and envision how future expansion could some day make its way to Morningside Heights.

The curve to get overhead Progress Avenue is actually very feasible with where the station box will be at SCC, so I have it do that following the proposed SRT path to Malvern. Only change, it stays underground through Malvern with a centrally located station at Neilson and following Sewells Rd out to Morningside and Finch, with the terminal occurring in the woodlot south of Old Finch.

I consolidated the Pharmacy and Lebovic stops; Kingston, Golf Club and Guildwood Pkwy stops; and Lawrence and Morningside stops; and axed the Midland, Falmouth, Mason, West Hill HS, and Morningside/Ellesmere stops in this map - please, don't be mad. We just need to put the RT back in LRT, not turn it into a glorified streetcar service.

Can you run in the next election? It's Beautiful.

Thanks - looks like the Recommendation now reads:

"That City Council direct that the Eglinton East LRT and the Scarborough Subway Extension be considered as one network
in future reports to City Council."

Not sure how much meat is actually on that, the entire transit grid in totality is "one network". Project was much stronger in terms of scope.

Simple, and I'm calling it right now, the approximate $4.5-5B first batch of Federal funding will be used on the "combined" network for the Scarborough network. Makes it easier to add stops and absorb more cost escalations if you announce that Crosstown East will be covered as well.

The only way the SSE proposal is tolerable at this point is if they add-in intermediate stations at Eglinton-Brimley and Lawrence-McCowan. Even if it costs us another $300 million, it'd be worth it.
This could be done with the Federal Government Infrastructure Funds that are coming our way.

Thank you. Right of way is meaningless if you still have streetcar spacing with the train stopping at every intersection every 9 seconds - without ever properly speeding. I'm afraid Finch West LRT has gotten into the same problem trying make every area constituent happy.

Back