News   Jun 05, 2024
 1.3K     1 
News   Jun 05, 2024
 1.1K     3 
News   Jun 05, 2024
 883     1 

Danforth Line 2 Scarborough Subway Extension

ATC doesn't make all trains go to the end of the line. In fact, it'll do quite the opposite as turnarounds are easier (faster) with a branched terminus.

The main choke point, after station dwell, is turn-around time. The reason Chicago loop can get down to 45 second intervals (unscheduled but regularly happens) is because of branched service. TTC doesn't actually have multiple lines sharing a middle so they'll mimic it by staggering the turn-around locations.
An underground loop for the subway seems expensive. Would having a switch in the tail tracks make more sense as it can be used for storage and for trains to go onto the opposite track and change direction?

An underground loop for the subway seems expensive. Would having a switch in the tail tracks make more sense as it can be used for storage and for trains to go onto the opposite track and change direction?

The TTC puts in pocket tracks for turning trains around. It's basically a third track in between the two main ones. A train going out of service drops off all its passengers, then keeps going in the same direction. It stops in the middle track and then, when the track is free, goes back in the other direction. Google Maps was kind enough to photograph the only outdoor one just as a train was stopped on it - see the attached pic.

If the TTC was going to short turn trains (which is not the case as far as they've said) then they'd build one just past Kennedy.

Attachments

• upload_2017-11-7_16-58-0.png
    upload_2017-11-7_16-58-0.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 235
Short turning would be a disaster, but they've indicated no intentions to do so. So still, that's 1 less transfer most people have to make. When you get to STC by bus or by car, you've arrived at a real, full-fledged subway station instead of a third-rate RT station with different operating hours than the actual subway line. The entire experience feels very sub-par tbh, because it basically means the RT is not nearly as reliable as the subway is.

This is a falsehood.
Considering it is a station with accessibility, it is the only station of its kind to end before 2AM. I've checked all other stations with accessibility, and they all end at 2AM or later. Even Kipling, the other terminus, ends at 2:20AM.

It's within reason to assume that if STC becomes a full-fledged subway station, the operating hours will be extended until 2AM-2:20AM like all the other stations with accessibility.

Last edited:
I always felt that the RT's last train going north/east should be timed to the last subway train that arrives at kennedy. However, if you arrive @ kennedy station after 1:30 (which is entirely possible), you are screwed. There's no easy way to get to STC. I welcome the extended hours to STC.

Considering it is a station with accessibility, it is the only station of its kind to end before 2AM. I've checked all other stations with accessibility, and they all end at 2AM or later. Even Kipling, the other terminus, ends at 2:20AM.

It's within reason to assume that if STC becomes a full-fledged subway station, the operating hours will be extended until 2AM-2:20AM like all the other stations with accessibility.

This is not only untrue, it's very easy to check.

McCowan Station - Last train Westbound: 1:16am, all week

Kennedy Station - Last train Westbound: 1:31am, all week
The difference is only 15 minutes.

In fact, the RT has the same virtually timing as terminal stations on the YUS Line (except for Union) The final train south from Finch is at 1:16am. From Sheppard West it's 1:18am.

No station has trains leaving at 2am. Generally speaking, if you show up past 1:30am at most stations, you're out of luck.

This is not only untrue, it's very easy to check.

McCowan Station - Last train Westbound: 1:16am, all week

Kennedy Station - Last train Westbound: 1:31am, all week
The difference is only 15 minutes.

In fact, the RT has the same virtually timing as terminal stations on the YUS Line (except for Union) The final train south from Finch is at 1:16am. From Sheppard West it's 1:18am.

No station has trains leaving at 2am. Generally speaking, if you show up past 1:30am at most stations, you're out of luck.
Last train going eastbound at Victoria Park: 2:11am, all week

Last train going westbound at Islington: 2:14am, all week

The only reason the last train going eastbound at kennedy is at 1:31am IS because the Scarborough RT is not a real subway line. You can arrive at Kennedy station well past 2AM.

Last line 4 train leaving Sheppard-Yonge to go east to Don Mills : 2:14am.
It's 4 minutes after the last Northbound Line 1 train arrives and that's everyday. The Sheppard line waits for the last Yonge train to arrive.

I see where @Sakraycore is getting at. If line 3 and 4 have similar ridership, why doesn't line 3 operates until the last line 2 train arrives at Kennedy like the Sheppard line does at Sheppard-Yonge?

I believe it's a valid question and now that I think about it, it can be very inconvenient for people going out late needing to get home.

Last train going eastbound at Victoria Park: 2:11am, all week

Last train going westbound at Islington: 2:14am, all week

The only reason the last train going eastbound at kennedy is at 1:31am IS because the Scarborough RT is not a real subway line. You can arrive at Kennedy station well past 2AM.

Sorry, I should've been clearer. I was referring to terminal stations.

Victoria Park will obviously have a train heading eastbound at 2:14am because it's the final train that left Kipling at 1:31am.

The same is true for a train heading Eastbound from Islington - it's the train that left Kennedy at 1:31am.

The RT is has only 6 stops (including Kennedy) - of course the final trains are going to be earlier. It only takes about 8 minutes at that time of night to go through the entire line.

Quite frankly the RT is an example of great transit service. The last trains leave at almost the same time as they do for the subway, even though the RT is completely deserted at that point. Based on actual ridership and usage they could close it hours earlier.

Sorry, I should've been clearer. I was referring to terminal stations.

Victoria Park will obviously have a train heading eastbound at 2:14am because it's the final train that left Kipling at 1:31am.

The same is true for a train heading Eastbound from Islington - it's the train that left Kennedy at 1:31am.

The RT is has only 6 stops (including Kennedy) - of course the final trains are going to be earlier. It only takes about 8 minutes at that time of night to go through the entire line.

Quite frankly the RT is an example of great transit service. The last trains leave at almost the same time as they do for the subway, even though the RT is completely deserted at that point. Based on actual ridership and usage they could close it hours earlier.
People plan their trips beforehand based on when the last train is. So obviously it would be deserted near closing time. But guess what, if you extended it by 1 hour then it wouldn't be deserted at those same times. Nightlife doesn't end at 12AM, it has really just begun.

Last line 4 train leaving Sheppard-Yonge to go east to Don Mills : 2:14am.
It's 4 minutes after the last Northbound Line 1 train arrives and that's everyday. The Sheppard line waits for the last Yonge train to arrive.

I see where @Sakraycore is getting at. If line 3 and 4 have similar ridership, why doesn't line 3 operates until the last line 2 train arrives at Kennedy like the Sheppard line does at Sheppard-Yonge?

I believe it's a valid question and now that I think about it, it can be very inconvenient for people going out late needing to get home.
Because line 4 is a real subway line, even if it's a "white elephant". STC could be a real subway station in the future and enjoy the same operating hours.

People plan their trips beforehand based on when the last train is. So obviously it would be deserted near closing time. But guess what, if you extended it by 1 hour then it wouldn't be deserted at those same times. Nightlife doesn't end at 12AM, it has really just begun.

Scarborough simply doesn't have the ridership to justify keeping it open later than it already is. The last train from Kennedy, eastbound, is 1:30am, which means it would arrive at McCowan at 1:40. The time difference isn't that big a deal, especially when there's almost no one using it.

I've ridden the RT far earlier than closing time and it's been nearly deserted. Outside of rush hour it really isn't that busy at all. Once you get to 10, 11, 12 it's not uncommon to have an entire car to yourself.

Scarborough simply doesn't have the ridership to justify keeping it open later than it already is. The last train from Kennedy, eastbound, is 1:30am, which means it would arrive at McCowan at 1:40. The time difference isn't that big a deal, especially when there's almost no one using it.

I've ridden the RT far earlier than closing time and it's been nearly deserted. Outside of rush hour it really isn't that busy at all. Once you get to 10, 11, 12 it's not uncommon to have an entire car to yourself.
Maybe noone is using it because that 40 minute time difference matters a lot when you're coming back from downtown nightlife. You might not even catch the last train in time so it's just pointless to use the subway because it stops two-thirds of the way to your destination.

Back