News   Jun 14, 2024
 1.8K     1 
News   Jun 14, 2024
 1.3K     1 
News   Jun 14, 2024
 741     0 

Cycling infrastructure (Separated bike lanes)

well good news and bad news.

good news: the wellington bikeway extension is going forward

bad news: it only goes to york and turns down to union.
worse news: its "secondary prioritized" where to bring it to church other projects need to be deferred

on the bright side, that means theyre overloaded with work i guess
1716331431591.png

2 other things caught my eye. A small little stub bike lane on bremner from Spadina to the rogers center
and a front street bike lane from bathurst that ends at blue jays way

Reaction to the proposed cycling plan:

TL;DR: not happy with it. Lays out some reasons, and also calls for a process change on bike lane design.

(My opinion: the Mayor’s primary focus appears to be the state of the city’s finances and public affordable housing. Everything else - biking and the TTC for example - is getting less attention and money.)

Reaction to the proposed cycling plan:

TL;DR: not happy with it. Lays out some reasons, and also calls for a process change on bike lane design.

(My opinion: the Mayor’s primary focus appears to be the state of the city’s finances and public affordable housing. Everything else - biking and the TTC for example - is getting less attention and money.)

Hold on there Allen............. TL : DR ? It was only ~2,800 words! (yes, I put it through a word counter, cause I couldn't believe you called it 'long') LOL I mean that's less than 12 typical pages for a High School essay.

As for Robert's take.......... he'll love me for this.......... ornery and naive.

I like Robert, which is more than can be said for many, LOL ; but when he pontificates on what he'd like to see, he seems unable to grasp how exactly he would get that through Council.

His essential complaint is that the plan is of the same scale as the one now winding down, about 100km over 3 years.

However, in most years, we have yet to hit the requisite pace to deliver that number (we should be close this year). While I'm all for saying 40km or 50km or 100km per year would be nice, that's just a pie-the-sky number if you don't have a plan to deliver it. Staff have, by and large brought forward sufficient plans to hit the goal of the last plan. But as Robert notes, a couple of big pieces got pushed off (ie. Danforth-Kingston), though these will hopefully still be delivered in the next year or two.

Robert, however, seems blissfully unaware of things like by-elections, unsupportive councilors, less than cooperative agency partners, and utilities impact outcomes. To double the plan, to pick an arbitrary target, you need roughly double the staff count, you need double the implementation budget, you need some ruthless push from the top to ensure interdepartmental cooperation, and then you need more than a little luck.

The Mayor has (and will further) jack taxes. I support this, but its important to realize the first part of that exercise was about nothing but erasing a current operating shortfall, it didn't fund anything new.

Its the increases that will (or will not) come next year that can fund 'service enhancement'. If/when new money shows up, there are a lot of hands out............see all the clamouring to accelerate the Gardiner project (the province would have to agree); more for TTC, Parks, Library, the Arts, public realm, recreation, housing etc. are all desired/needed.

Then there's the matter of lining up votes to get something through Council.

He seems to want more cycle tracks in wards where the Councillors will offer luke warm support at best, and probably something less than that. The problem here is not the staff plan; its the Councillors.......staff can't change those; voters can.

Sigh.

Last edited:
well good news and bad news.

good news: the wellington bikeway extension is going forward

bad news: it only goes to york and turns down to union.
worse news: its "secondary prioritized" where to bring it to church other projects need to be deferred

For clarity, the Wellington extension to York is tentatively planned for 2025 (next year).

Further extension to the east (Scott or Church) is currently on the secondary list. Staff have already given some thought to this section.

on the bright side, that means theyre overloaded with work i guess

While they are indeed busy; there's more to what is scheduled when than that. There are many moving parts.

MM18.9 - Amending the 2024-2033 Capital Budget and Plan for Parks, Forestry and Recreation for the Lower Don Trail Improvements - by Councillor Chris Moise, seconded by Councillor Paula Fletcher​

Notice of Motion
Consideration Type: ACTIONWards: 13 - Toronto Centre, 14 - Toronto - Danforth
Attention
* Notice of this Motion has been given.
* This Motion is subject to referral to the Executive Committee. A two-thirds vote is required to waive referral.

Recommendations​

Councillor Chris Moise, seconded by Councillor Paula Fletcher, recommends that:

1. City Council amend Parks, Forestry and Recreation’s 2024 Capital Budget and 2025-2033 Capital Plan for the New Accessibility Riverdale and Lower Don sub-project in the Facility Components project, in the amount of $2.700 million, increasing the total project cost from $3.100 million to $5.800 million, with cash flow commitments in 2024, fully funded by the South District Parkland Development Reserve Fund (XR2209) in order for the Lower Don Trail Improvements to continue construction.

Summary​

This motion requests authority from City Council to amend the 2024-2033 Capital Budget and Plan for Parks, Forestry and Recreation (PFR) in the amount of $2.700 million for the Lower Don Trail Improvements project. Additional funds are required to address unforeseen unstable soil conditions discovered during construction, necessitating redesign and modified construction methods. This project is being completed in coordination with the City’s Transportation Services Division. The total project cost share included in Parks, Forestry and Recreation’s Capital Budget and Plan would be amended from $3.100 million to $5.800 million with cash flow commitments in 2024. The improvements will be fully funded from the South District Parkland Development Reserve Fund (XR2209). These funds have been received and are eligible for these purposes.

This motion is deemed urgent as the funds are required to proceed with the Purchase Order Amendment for the construction contract, which is before the May 1, 2024 General Government Committee meeting for consideration.

Background Information​

Member Motion MM18.9
https://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2024/mm/bgrd/backgroundfile-245744.pdf

To come back to the above, the increased costs for the contract for the Lower Don are on the agenda of next week's Government Management Ctte:

From the above......... (waits for the groans, see last paragraph)

1716471660142.png

1716471683195.png

Hold on there Allen............. TL : DR ? It was only ~2,800 words!

LOL. It was quite long in these days of tweets.

I like Robert, which is more than can be said for many, LOL ; but when he pontificates on what he'd like to see, he seems unable to grasp how exactly he would get that through Council.

I think people are right to pan the lack of ambition in the bike plan, but I believe the focus of their ire is misguided. Becky Katz and the bike team seem incredibly motivated. It’s lack of political support and funding that is the big impediment. For example, the Danforth-Kingston bike lanes are (I believe?) held back by Parthi, who cares little about biking.

The Mayor has (and will further) jack taxes. I support this, but its important to realize the first part of that exercise was about nothing but erasing a current operating shortfall, it didn't fund anything new.

I stand by what I said earlier: her focus is on city finances and affordable housing. She’s already started to set the stage for the next conversation with Council and the public: the deep SOGR hole. With $26B unfunded, I think we’ll see outreaches to the province and the feds, as well as a substantial hike to the city-building fund. She can’t be seen to be overly prioritizing bike lanes, because it’ll open her to accusations of being an out-of-touch downtown councillor while increasing taxes. Instead, she’ll (rightly) focus on delivering visible results to roads and affordable housing - anything day-to-day voters can feel. That said, I do think she needs to demand more excellence of department heads - and fire them if they can’t deliver.

What does the approval for the plan on Eglinton mean here? Is it the Eglinton Connects plan, and is there funding or a timeline to build anything?

Mt. Pleasant, to just west of Allen Road is approved and funded.

This is cycle tracks as well as some add-ons on abutting side streets (bump outs/parkettes etc.)

East of Mt. Pleasant is another matter for another day, for the most part. (a small upgrade is proposed just east of Don Mills in the near term).

I mean, I live on dan leckie, just wondering if anyone has any idea on the installation timeline
There's no specific timeline yet, presentations earlier this year just say summer. You can sign up for email updates from the City on the project here: https://www.toronto.ca/community-pe...ects/portland-dan-leckie-cycling-connections/

Usually when a construction notice is published they will send out an update on the mailing list and post it on the website.

Back