News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.5K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 325     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 887     0 

Cycling infrastructure (Separated bike lanes)

Lets start w/some good stuff.

The City is looking a 2 different projects (plus the intersection of same) to improve cycling access to Centennial Park.

From the above:

1711127337942.png

And

1711127379614.png

And

1711127439474.png

1711127499233.png

There will be a survey, but its not up yet.

Interesting. This will make a nice connection between Mississauga's Burnhamthorpe Trail and Centennial Park.

I wonder how they're handling the bridge over Etobicoke Creek though. The doc says "No changes to motor vehicle travel" so that implies they're just dumping the bi-directional bike lane onto the sidewalk for that stretch. Which is also where Mississauga dumps cyclists too.... Would be nice if they collaborated to take over that rightmost westbound lane (which is essentially just a REALLY long unnecessary turning lane for the nursery), and used that for the bike lanes.

1711128409884.png

Interesting. This will make a nice connection between Mississauga's Burnhamthorpe Trail and Centennial Park.

I wonder how they're handling the bridge over Etobicoke Creek though. The doc says "No changes to motor vehicle travel" so that implies they're just dumping the bi-directional bike lane onto the sidewalk for that stretch. Which is also where Mississauga dumps cyclists too.... Would be nice if they collaborated to take over that rightmost westbound lane (which is essentially just a REALLY long unnecessary turning lane for the nursery), and used that for the bike lanes.

View attachment 550302
I don't see any reason why they shouldn't be repurposing the turn lane to the nursery (the rightmost lane starting at the bottom of the streetview image).

From City Hall Watcher yesterday:

SLOWING DOWN FAST: But all is not well at the TPA. Another report says the agency is “at a crossroads, caught between it’s [sic] past and present.”

The problem, the agency says, is that their 85% dividend requirement leaves them short on cash and unable to pay for state-of-good-repair projects at their parking garages and cover the cost of necessary infrastructure like new pay-and-display parking machines.

They also point to City Hall’s plans — approved by Council this week — to convert parking lots to housing as something that will hurt their financial model.

TPA says they hoped to have a new income-sharing agreement in place as part of the 2024 budget process — with a less-demanding dividend requirement — but that didn’t happen. As a result, TPA has tabled a plan to cut $14.1 million in spending on capital projects planned for 2024. Projects will be delayed to future years, including $2.5 million in planned spending on Bike Share, $6 million on electric vehicle off-street chargers, and $800,000 in state-of-good-repair projects.

I must have missed that capital spending on BikeShare was slated to be reduced this year :(

From City Hall Watcher yesterday:

I must have missed that capital spending on BikeShare was slated to be reduced this year :(

The purchase of this year's bikes and stations was approved last fall, so I don't think this year's expansion will actually be affected ( I could stand to be corrected); I'm assuming this will affect pre-purchasing for next year in fall of this year.

Now, does anyone here wish to confess to living in either of Councillor Saxe's ward or Councillor Matlow's?

I won't belabour this and clog up the thread, but one more pitch for volunteers, LOL (just to make a gentle inquiry)

Two-way cycle track on Roselawn/ Elm Ridge from east side of Allen Road to Marlee and two-way cycle track on Marlee from Roselawn to Eglinton.

Two-way cycle track on Roselawn/ Elm Ridge from east side of Allen Road to Marlee and two-way cycle track on Marlee from Roselawn to Eglinton.

From the above:

1711382243483.png

1711382325484.png

1711382372949.png

1711382409534.png

No survey for this one.

Comments:

1711382494855.png

1711382526338.png

While I was happy at first, I think this is a sign that the city has given up on this last portion of the trail between Marlee and the Allenway.

1000006517.jpg

Why build a fully separated bike lane all along Roselawn from the Allen Greenway to Marlee if youre going to use the part labelled "Future York Beltline trail connection"

Seems to me like they aren't going to use it and are just not saying so to not get any negative feedback until this work is done

All good stuff, but disappointing EglintonTOday did not make it on to the agenda. It has been bumped to early May.

I give staff credit for moving forward with converting Jones to a cycle track despite parking loss and negative resident feedback. The upcoming roadwork is the perfect opportunity to improve safety.
@Northern Light The Eglinton TOday page has been updated with some stakeholder meeting group summaries that include project updates. In the January update there is a grainy presentation slide with an updated map. It appears to show the four lane cross section extended east from Bathurst to Spadina and configuration B replacing configuration D between Oakwood to Times Road. On page 2 there is a reference to the cycle tracks being protected by only bollards and *not* curbs.

Also this from the March stakeholder consultation stood out to me:
"The project team is working hard to align the complete street installation as closely as possible with the opening of the ECLRT."

1711467630746.png

Back