News   Apr 26, 2024
 1K     3 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 271     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 797     0 

Toronto Crosstown LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | Arcadis

The Montreal Metro trains are the same width as our streetcars. The light rail vehicles for the Crosstown LRT (and Finch West) will be wider than both our streetcars and Montreal Metro trains.

A quick search suggest the following:

The streetcars may be (4 cm) wider than the Montreal metro trains, but the layout of the new metro trains is much better for passenger circulation than the new Toronto streetcars. You don't have the double forward-facing seats at both sides of the car in the new metro except at the ends of the train.

E.g. this is very hard to move through if anyone is standing in the row:

urbantoronto-3990-11749.jpg

but in the Montreal trains they have single seat rows on one side and double rows on the other side so it is still possible to move through:

image_0.rpath.1200.0.medium.1455035088452.jpg

The streetcars may be (4 cm) wider than the Montreal metro trains, but the layout of the new metro trains is much better for passenger circulation than the new Toronto streetcars. You don't have the double forward-facing seats at both sides of the car in the new metro except at the ends of the train.

urbantoronto-3990-11749.jpg

but in the Montreal trains they have single seat rows on one side and double rows on the other side so it is still possible to move through:

image_0.rpath.1200.0.medium.1455035088452.jpg

An unfortunate consequence of 100% low floor. Those double seats are sitting on top of the bogies for the wheels. They couldn't move them if they wanted to.
Having been inside the Waterloo LRV, which will be the same as Toronto's, it is a noticeably wider hallway between those seats. That extra 10cm is definitely in play. It still isn't ideal, but it's better.

True, but in the majority of cases you don't have to squeeze through the double quad part to get to an exit.

I live Eglinton and my wife takes the Eglinton bus to the airport daily and I have no problem with her crossing the road to access transit. I love my wife but if there was an accident and she died but we saved a billion dollars as sad as I would be I would still feel we made the right decision. The truth is accidents can happen underground as well, they can happen anywhere.

Between this thread and the debate on scarborough subway Thread I have learned that underground transit advocates daily make up new reasons to justify their transit fantasies. There's really no point debating, people have made up their minds one way or another.

Which is why elevated is oh so beautiful.
I am curious as to what the math is regarding the hydro corridor west of Martin Grove.
  • The transit line would be 5.0m above Martin Grove as it crosses.
  • There is little ability for the elevated track to dip within the 100m from Martin Grove to the hydro corridor (maybe it could by a metre or 2).
  • The "bridge" (support structure for elevated line) some type of enclosure around the elevated transit line (for the portion under the hydro lines) to reduce the required clearance from train to wires.
  • I don't know the required clearance - but it seems like it might not be possible to squeeze the transit line above road and below the hydro lines.
  • I would be interested to know if anyone knows what the actual numbers are.

Last edited:
That's a really touching message Yvan sent to his constituents. It's too bad that he's really delusional when it comes to this file.

If his government is willing to shell out all the money for tunneling without zero-sum gaming other transit projects, sure.

Eglinton is 60-70 km/h driving speeds through Richview. Yeah, let's force commuters, many of them senior citizens, to cross into the road median to access an LRT. :rolleyes:

Because they don't have to do that with buses now. Are seniors the new "will you think of the children"? :rolleyes: And be careful what you wish for if you bring up seniors accessibility as a point of argument - because we sure didn't care all that much about reducing the number of stops (rightly so) either.

AoD

I am curious as to what the math is regarding the hydro corridor west of Martin Grove.
  • The transit line would be 5.0m above Martin Grove as it crosses.
  • There is little ability for the elevated track to dip within the 100m from Martin Grove to the hydro corridor (maybe it could by a metre or 2).
  • The "bridge" (support structure for elevated line) some type of enclosure around the elevated transit line (for the portion under the hydro lines) to reduce the required clearance from train to wires.
  • I don't know the required clearance - but it seems like it might not be possible to squeeze the transit line above road and below the hydro lines.
  • I would be interested to know if anyone knows what the actual numbers are.

The LRT can handle a 5% incline, streetcars can handle an 8% incline, subway trains require a smaller incline. The requirement would be how much of a distance is needed at 8% to get from a level grade to an elevated grade to a below grade. At the Keelesdale portal, the trains will exit the tunnels at a side of a hill to the overpass at Black Creek Drive. There is no such hill between Martin Grove and the hydro lines.

However, the hydro lines could be raised up on higher towers at a cheaper cost, or buried for that portion as needed.

With at grade stops, it would be cheaper to provide accessibility. With above or below grade stations, they would require long ramps or elevators.

Last edited:
The LRT can handle an 8% incline. The requirement would be how much of a distance is needed at 8% to get from a level grade to an elevated grade to a below grade. At the Keelesdale portal, the trains will exit the tunnels at a side of a hill to the overpass at Black Creek Drive. There is no such hill between Martin Grove and the hydro lines.

However, the hydro lines could be raised up on higher towers at a cheaper cost, or buried for that portion as needed.

With at grade stops, it would be cheaper to provide accessibility. With above or below grade stations, they would require long ramps or elevators.
It went at 5%. From Black Creek to the portal was 200 to 250m (the portal has some length from where tracks start to go underground to where tunnel box is fully underground). The road elevation also dropped 5m in this area - saving about 100m of transition. I also helped that there was no station at Black Creek.

From 2012 EA revision.

Keelesdale.jpg

Attachments

• Keelesdale.jpg
    Keelesdale.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 328
It went at 5%. From Black Creek to the portal was 200 to 250m (the portal has some length from where tracks start to go underground to where tunnel box is fully underground). The road elevation also dropped 5m in this area - saving about 100m of transition. I also helped that there was no station at Black Creek.

From 2012 EA revision.

View attachment 127072

My mistake. It is 5% incline. Changed my comment.

The LRT can handle a 5% incline, streetcars can handle an 8% incline, subway trains require a smaller incline. The requirement would be how much of a distance is needed at 8% to get from a level grade to an elevated grade to a below grade.

Those are tendered requirements. We could get Toronto Rocket model capable of an 11% grade if we wanted. Of course, that may cause customer discomfort at full speed down the hill (ear popping).

Back