News   Apr 26, 2024
 357     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 926     1 

Cozy Cafes

Towered

Member Bio
Reaction score
I’m obsessed with cafes. I’m in search of the perfect cozy cafe in Toronto. For me, that generally means historic building, dark interior, mood lighting, soft seating, quirky art, indie music (or none at all), cool neighborhood setting on or near a vibrant urban retail strip, and obviously, good coffee and treats. A working fireplace would be the cherry on top.

Post your recommendations! 😁

I intended to start this thread back in late summer last year as I was documenting my experiences, but I was too lazy/distracted to actually post anything until now, so please forgive some of the rather summery pictures.

Full Stop: on Dundas west of Keele in the Junction:

I intended to start this thread back in late summer last year as I was documenting my experiences, but I was too lazy/distracted to actually post anything until now, so please forgive some of the rather summery pictures.

Full Stop: on Dundas west of Keele in the Junction:

Ahem, pictures? (none showing right now)

IMG_7329.jpeg
IMG_7330.jpeg

In the east end, my old area, my favourite cafes are Broadview Espresso, just north of the Danforth, and Goat Coffee, on Pape, also north of the Danforth.

In the west end, my current area, I really like Good Neighbour on Annette, and Outpost, at Bloor and Dundas.

Would you really call that one cozy?

Its certainly 'different'. I have to say, there doesn't appear to be a lot of comfortable seating, very little natural light, and not many tables.......... I don't know that it appeals to me as a place to have a coffee particularly. Now if the coffee is great, maybe its a good to-go spot.

Last edited:
Playground has strong 'down a set of stairs, Tokyo art gallery + espresso machine' vibes. Great find!

My current favourite 'cozy' place for coffee is Moss Park Espresso. It doesn't have dark/mood lighting or a fireplace, but it has housemade gelato, cannoli and biscotti, independent art on the walls, lots of plants from the plant store upstairs (Plant Society), and they don't allow computers. It's a place to chat with friends or relax and read a book. No drip coffee, just (good!) espresso-based drinks, teas and Sanpellegrino. Oh, and they occasionally set up for shows in the evenings.

Love this thread idea! I am also always on the look out for a good cozy café.

An oldie but goodie for me is Tango Palace on Queen East. No fireplace, but checks the rest of your boxes, I think.

Or The Coffee Bar (Turkish & Irish coffees) at 174 Eglinton Ave E has a fireplace.

Despite it being a chain, I miss the Second Cup in the St Lawrence Market neighborhood. It had a fireplace and a great big window where one could watch people walking from Union Station towards the market. Now it's a cannabis dispensary with papered over windows.😢

Last edited:
Would you really call that one cozy?

Its certainly 'different'. I have to say, there doesn't appear to be a lot of comfortable seating, very little natural light, and not many tables.......... I don't know that it appeals to me as a place to have a coffee particularly. Now if the coffee is great, maybe its a good to-go spot.

Agreed. I've read recent reviews, they no longer carry glassware, which is horrible for the environment and for us coffee sipping enthusiasts. No way i would pay 7 plus dollars for a caffeinated beverage served in a wax paper cup with a plastic sippy cup styled lid.

Back