News   May 14, 2024
 1.6K     1 
News   May 14, 2024
 1.4K     1 
News   May 14, 2024
 587     0 

Corktown

Corktown is really bubbling now and will be bursting in no time. I love being a part of a community where every new addition (whether it's a cafe / store / home addition / condo) is exciting. I've lived in Toronto my whole life and have never routed for a neighbourhood as much as this one. It's nice to be a part of this evolution.

This is a special part of our city and I wholeheartedly agree.

Trefann Court

Hey guys...Trefann Court is a small neghbourhood within Corktown...I passed by Queen and Trefann today, and noticed there's a small building under construction. It seems like a small infill project and looks interesting.

Just wonder if anyone knows what it will be...residential or commercial?

http://maps.google.ca/maps?hl=en&source=hp&q=Trefann+St,+Toronto,+Toronto+Division,+Ontario&ie=UTF8&cd=1&geocode=FQImmgId2gFF-w&split=0&sll=49.891235,-97.15369&sspn=16.71875,56.536561&hq=&hnear=Trefann+St,+Toronto,+Toronto+Division,+Ontario&ll=43.656066,-79.363319&spn=0.00112,0.00284&z=19&layer=c&cbll=43.65615,-79.363357&panoid=HP91DJ71hajghyZiFedtGQ&cbp=12,310.29,,0,-18.29

Last edited:
Corktown is a residential neighbourhood in downtown Toronto, Ontario, Canada. It is just south of Regent Park and north of the Gardiner Expressway, between Berkeley Street to the west and the Don River to the east.

I am not sure whats your intent of restating the definition here, Trefann & Queen is part of the Corktown. At least the north border.

I think it's poorly disguised / lazy solicitation.

So I'm noticing they're starting to put up the glass street windows on Streetcar's King St. buildings. They used to have "retail lease" signs up a while back, but nothing now. Do you think they already have their retail vendors in place? I remember hearing some murmurs of Starbucks a while ago in one of the buildings. I can't imagine a Starbucks in that area though.

It would be wonderful if we could keep up with the Distillery vibe and cater to more independent establishments, but I have a feeling that won't fly on King Street, beneath a condo.

here's a render for the new Streetcar Development, across the Queen bridge; Sync Loft:

index_02.jpg

Independant retail works on Queen East, should on King East

I think it's poorly disguised / lazy solicitation.

So I'm noticing they're starting to put up the glass street windows on Streetcar's King St. buildings. They used to have "retail lease" signs up a while back, but nothing now. Do you think they already have their retail vendors in place? I remember hearing some murmurs of Starbucks a while ago in one of the buildings. I can't imagine a Starbucks in that area though.

It would be wonderful if we could keep up with the Distillery vibe and cater to more independent establishments, but I have a feeling that won't fly on King Street, beneath a condo.

Just across the bridge the little condos on Queen East have independent retailers/restos that fit in to that strip. And farther along, the Greenwood racetrack condos have a pretty good mix of independents mixed in with the banks.

I think that the Streetcar buildings might get a decent mix, too.

One of my favorite Leslieville/South Riverdale haunts is PicNic, located on the ground floor of 747 Queen E (another Streetcar project I beleive). I'm hoping the businesses in Corktown District are similar.

Seeing how streetcar is this "little" boutique developer, I'd see it to be in their best interest to keep up with their boutique image. Sync and Corktown District are being sold largely as "lifestlye condos" so I'd imagine the style of retail / resto below would be pretty important to keep up their "hip" image.

I think PIN NIC does its job in making the building itself more attractive. Haven't been in yet, but if you like Pin Nic, you'll love Swirl: http://www.blogto.com/bars/swirl-wine-bar

Trefann Court

The Trefann Court Residents Association has a long and colourful history; its founding meeting was August 11, 1966. Earlier in their respective careers, four ex-Toronto mayors helped organize this neighbourhood: David Crombie, John Sewell, June Rowlands and Barbara Hall.

The Trefann Court area is bounded by Queen, Parliament, Shuter and River streets. In 1966, the city wanted to demolish almost all of the existing buildings, and to build public housing in the area from Parliament to Sackville (continuing the Regent Park “urban renewal” area immediately to the north). On the east part of the site, from Sackville to River, the city would permit industrial buildings. (Industrial use for this area was suggested by a private developer, who in 1957 constructed the large warehouse at 90 Sumach for the CBC, who used it for 30 years as prop storage, construction and rehearsal space.)

But the Trefann Court residents urged the city that their homes not be expropriated, that they be allowed to have significant involvement in replanning their community, and that an alternative to public housing be found. This was the genesis of citizen participation in planning, which now happens in all Toronto neighbourhoods. During the past 30 years, additional 2-3 storey housing has been built to strengthen the stable low-rise residential character of Trefann Court: on Sydenham Street, Wascana, and most recently, the south-west corner of Shuter + River.

The history of Trefann Court makes for interesting reading. Gordon Fraser’s 1972 book: “Fighting Back; Urban Renewal in Trefann Court” (300 pages) is available from the library. John Sewell has also written extensively about Trefann Court, including this entry in a summary of downtown neighbourhoods published in 2000.

http://www.trefann.org

The Trefann Court Residents Association has a long and colourful history; its founding meeting was August 11, 1966. Earlier in their respective careers, four ex-Toronto mayors helped organize this neighbourhood: David Crombie, John Sewell, June Rowlands and Barbara Hall.

The Trefann Court area is bounded by Queen, Parliament, Shuter and River streets. In 1966, the city wanted to demolish almost all of the existing buildings, and to build public housing in the area from Parliament to Sackville (continuing the Regent Park “urban renewal” area immediately to the north). On the east part of the site, from Sackville to River, the city would permit industrial buildings. (Industrial use for this area was suggested by a private developer, who in 1957 constructed the large warehouse at 90 Sumach for the CBC, who used it for 30 years as prop storage, construction and rehearsal space.)

But the Trefann Court residents urged the city that their homes not be expropriated, that they be allowed to have significant involvement in replanning their community, and that an alternative to public housing be found. This was the genesis of citizen participation in planning, which now happens in all Toronto neighbourhoods. During the past 30 years, additional 2-3 storey housing has been built to strengthen the stable low-rise residential character of Trefann Court: on Sydenham Street, Wascana, and most recently, the south-west corner of Shuter + River.

The history of Trefann Court makes for interesting reading. Gordon Fraser’s 1972 book: “Fighting Back; Urban Renewal in Trefann Court” (300 pages) is available from the library. John Sewell has also written extensively about Trefann Court, including this entry in a summary of downtown neighbourhoods published in 2000.

http://www.trefann.org

1) Trefann Court should be considered part of Corktown. This part of the city is too small to be sliced into such tiny sections.
2) This poster is a troll/solocitor - they just google a neighbourhood and post on it.

Back