News   Apr 25, 2024
 301     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 967     3 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 1K     0 

Corktown District Condos (Streetcar) - Real Estate -

Walked by the development last night. It looks as though the lower floors of 569 might be ready for occupancies: drywall complete, lighting fixtures installed as well as kitchens. 52 Sumach is also getting closer to completion although exterior brickwork and some cladding still needs doing.

549 is still basically a shell. How they expect to complete by the end of July is a mystery.

549 is still basically a shell. How they expect to complete by the end of July is a mystery.

That's exactly what we were talking about...they seem to taking a really long time with this one. Not much exterior progress to enclose the building but work seems to be progressing inside with steel stud demising, wiring, plumbing etc.

i know of some people with pdi's this week and are moving in around the 15th.....i'd be curious to see the finished product and get any feedback also!!
i'd be surprised if 549 is done by July....it took 569 about 5 months to complete AFTER the exterior was complete and all the windows were in and walls pretty much finished......but that was with contractors on 3 sites....maybe consolidated efforts will make it happen....

Last edited:
Open House @ 569 King.

Attachments

• 569KingOpenHouse.jpg
    569KingOpenHouse.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 256
Went to check out the open house this weekend (569 King)...very hard to make comment on overall finishes of the building and units as both are very much still under construction, however overall I would say that the suite finishes of the model suite are consistent with sales office. I was pleasantly surprised that unit I toured on the King Street side was very quiet (given the streetcar tracks in front of the building) and bright.

As an aside it looked like were people moving in...hope they have a good vacuum and lots of Swiffer cloths.

Yes I went to see the Open House this weekend as well and I found the finishes to be consistent with what they showed at the Model Suite way back when. I found both the south and north facing suites were bright, especially considering the suites on the lower floors face the building directly to the south.

The only odd thing I noticed was that big metal fire door that splits the hallway into two. The agent says it was to comply with the Building Code. Does anyone know if they will be keeping this open or closed? A friend bought a unit at 550 Wellington and the hallway had no signs of such a door, even though that hallway was five times the length.

Once I have my PDI on wednesday I'll try and post some pics.

Perhaps it has to do with the building technique? They used Strescore floor slabs with steel frame construction, while Freed used concrete. Obviously, that door would remain closed.

It may have to do with the fire escapes (just guessing) as i noticed that the stairwell we used to access the upper floors didn't have doors and wasn't therefore rated to achieve occupancy. I would find it very odd if it was permanent.

had my PDI @ 549 this morning. Quite pleased with the finishes although the bedroom is a lot smaller than the floorplan. They seem to have had to "step" the wall into the room more than in the plan.

The person from PDI Pro (3rd party that SC contracts out) was quite helpful. We tagged a lot of little things, mainly painting. A chipped cabinet door seems to be the worst.

Interim occupancy on Aug 6th.

Overall, love the floors, kitchen, and ceiling height. The cabinets are actually a high quality laminate with texture and a nice dark colour w/ the grain. This pic doesn't do it justice. The soft-close drawers are nice too :)

Pic attached - this is a one bedroom.

main.jpg
main2a.jpg

Attachments

• main.jpg
    main.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 362
  • main2a.jpg
    main2a.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 371
Last edited:
Is 549 the one on the corner? I thought it looked close to done. I live (sort of) across the street. If I see someone with a messed-up marker blotch for a face I will say hi.

Unit looks great. You'll like it here.

thanks for sharing.....i guess there's hope that 549 will be finished 'sooner' than later....estimates given were by end of september..but i've also heard december :S did they give you any updated timelines as to when the building is suppose to finish?
the 3 buildings are being registered as ONE phase so everyone else (sumach and 569) is stuck paying phantom mortgages till 549 is completed...

oh...and if you get a response as to the 'step' into the room - please share. I have the same issue, but its a low priority right now as i'm more concerned about getting things done off my 30 day. plus i figure there's not much that can be done at this point. I've lost about 10" in my bedroom to accomodate for (i'm assuming) the piping for my shower etc etc as that's the wall shared with my bedroom.

cheers!

Yes definitely thanks for sharing! I've lost about a 1' in the length of the main living area, but from what I was told, it's very hard to prove measurements. I did wake up to find a notice from the property managers this morning alerting us that they have begun the registration process and that it normally takes about 90+ days which would put us in October to be registered?

my pleasure! The people on this board have been extremely helpful and I'm really looking forward to becoming a part of the corktown community :)

re: 549..

In the welcome meeting we had back in June, they were hoping for registration by end of year. However, that was before a couple weeks of delays due to a worker being electrocuted. I had to provide 7 months of post dated cheques for occupancy commencing sept 1st so I'd be very surprised if it was registered before Jan/11. Also, there are still a handful of units for sale.. does this affect registration?

Aug 3rd was the first day they started PDI's at 549 so again, I don't think registration will be for a few more months. I'm a *little* disappointed in the reduction in bedroom size as well as the walk-in but I don't think there is much we can do at this point. Measuring overall sq footage would indeed be difficult because it's technically measured from the middle of the party walls.

I am happy with everything else though. I'll take more pics of 549 lobby, etc as progress is being made. At this point, the elevator is still not functional.

Re: retail space at 569/549 at grade.. any rumours as to what is going in or have they not even leased these spaces yet? IMO, this will make or break the project. eg. If they stick a Coffee Time in there I'm tossing myself out of my 3rd story window :)

Can the builder deny certain applicants based on the business? I think it would be in Streetcar's best interest to be quite particular about who leases these retail units.

Welcome into Corktown, apholmes. I've been in the Sumach building since June, and generally things are now on the up.

As far as I know, they have been in discussions with potential lessees of the retail spaces - they approached the Corktown Business and Residents Association a few months back with ideas of what the neighbourhood wants in there - and pretty much unanimous in not wanting a Coffee Time. I noticed the entrance to 549 is through the corner, which strikes me as rather odd - the corner slot would be most attractive to any potential retailer.

Also, resale units will not affect registration. I, too, am hoping it comes sooner than later!

Re: retail space at 569/549 at grade.. any rumours as to what is going in or have they not even leased these spaces yet? IMO, this will make or break the project. eg. If they stick a Coffee Time in there I'm tossing myself out of my 3rd story window :)

:p Gawd, I don't have a unit there, but if they stick a Coffee Time in there then I'm walking up to the 3rd story and requesting that you push me before you toss yourself! :)

Not sure about phase 1, but rumour (think I read it on this board) had it that Starbucks may move into phase 2. But who knows...

Back