News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.6K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 331     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 897     0 

Condo Upgrades

If you are getting the upgrades for self enjoyment and would feel insufficent in your future home without these upgrades then yes DO GO AHEAD with the upgrades regardless of the price point of your building ... because that would suggest that you look at it as a home rather than future return in resale value

In my case, I plan to be at Solaris for ~5 years then hopefully it will be onto a single family dwelling somewhere ... but I did get the following upgrades because it really mattered to me, if I'm lucky this 'may' make a difference when I go to sell the place later:
  • undermount kitchen sink
  • double bullnose granite kitchen countertop
  • added electrical outlet in island
  • upgraded cabinetry handles
  • revised cabinetry configuration

A friend just mentioned to me that for condo upgrades, I would have 3 options:

-Add the total for the final price
-pay in instalments
- pay by credit card !

Does anyone have an opinons on which is the best option? OR if these options even exist !!

It completely depends on the developer. Some will let you add it to your final price, some won't. Some will want a cheque or cash, some will take credit card. Ask your developer.

I received a list of upgrade choices from my builder. I was hoping someone can help me

1. difference between sealed concrete ceilings and smooth ceilings (are smooth ceilings just drywalled?)
2. When installing the engineered hardwood flooring, does the builder typically lay the hardwood under kitchen cabintry and islands? If so, how difficult is it to do afterward if laminate is standard. I ask this because my builder is charging $12 per foot and I am know I can get it done much cheaper.
3. builder prices for capped ceiling lights, moving outlets for wall hanging TV's, adding outlets etc. seem extremely expensive. Is it possible and or cheaper to hire an electrician afterward to do this?

Your answers are much appreciated.

I received a list of upgrade choices from my builder. I was hoping someone can help me

1. difference between sealed concrete ceilings and smooth ceilings (are smooth ceilings just drywalled?)
2. When installing the engineered hardwood flooring, does the builder typically lay the hardwood under kitchen cabintry and islands? If so, how difficult is it to do afterward if laminate is standard. I ask this because my builder is charging $12 per foot and I am know I can get it done much cheaper.
3. builder prices for capped ceiling lights, moving outlets for wall hanging TV's, adding outlets etc. seem extremely expensive. Is it possible and or cheaper to hire an electrician afterward to do this?

Smooth ceiling can be drywall if you are on a floor with drop ceiling (such as the penthouse).. typically it will be plastered and painted concrete. Not familiar with sealed concrete but if it's what I think it is, I'd be concerned about air bubbles showing.

Question 2 is a good one.. I'd like to know that too..

Although I'm an electrician, I can't really answer 3rd question.. it would depend on many things.. personally I would get important things that you must have installed during construction.. it can be a lot of work to add stuff afterwards.. could work out cheaper, but for one or two items I'd just get it done now and avoid hassle later. However if you want extra lights in the ceiling, you MUST get them done now.. unless you are a floor with a drop ceiling, these are in the concrete.. to put them in afterwards.. forget about it!

Hope that helps a bit..

Do most of you get the upgrades from the builder? or do you hire people yourself after you move in?

Are savings that significant? Are there things that is better to have the builder install it (e.g., warranty vs. no warranty)?

Some things i'm thinking about upgrading/installing are:
- upgrade kitchen backsplash
- replacing carpeted bedrooms with laminate
- install an island counter-top
- install a door in den

Thanks in advance!

I got quoted $1649 to have the sink in the kitchen under mounted, 800 for the sink, 800 for the to cut and sand the counter top.
If your handy, you can save a lot of money by doing things yourself, but I found doing it after you moved in saved me quite a bit of $$.

Kitchen cabinets are usually installed b4 hardwood floors. Thus highly likely, there is no hardwood under the cabinets.

Can somebody explain to me why you would want smooth ceilings? The ceiling just seems to be something you barely notice, unless it was reflective (as it would be if smooth)... and that seems like a bad thing to me. Why pay thousands for it?

For the look ... smooth ceilings are much more finished. Makes a huge difference.

thanks for all the responses.

I purchased a pre construction condo for approx $330K with parking. After itemizing my upgrades, I am still spending over $35k in upgrades. Is that number too high? Not sure if there is a rule of thumb for upgrades versus purchase price, I would appreciate your comments. I plan on living there for 5 years. Most of the upgrades are in the kitchen and bathrooms (approx $25K).

For the look ... smooth ceilings are much more finished. Makes a huge difference.

It really does, especially if there are parts in your condo that have both smooth and popcorn style. There's a whole thread on smooth ceilings.

Are you serious? Maybe a garage for $330K. Wake up to current prices, I paid $330 per square foot. Today, the immediate area is $450 per foot.

Back