News   Apr 26, 2024
 413     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 338     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 537     0 

Condo Projects with Direct Subway Access

Wasn't the Manulife underground connection t/w the subway of a later date (80s/90s)?

Wasn't the Manulife underground connection t/w the subway of a later date (80s/90s)?

Just as a point of referrence here are the stations with or within proximity to underground concourse connections to shopping/residential buildings:

Islington (Clarica Centre)
Dundas West (Crossways Mall/Bloor GO Stn future)
Lansdowne (1380 Bloor W proposed)
Dufferin (Dufferin Mall proposed)
St George (U of T)
Bay (Manulife/Cumberland Terrance/80 Bloor W)
Bloor-Yonge (1 Bloor E/HBC Centre)
Sherbourne (Rosedale Medical Centre)
Victoria Park (Teedsdale/Dentonia apts)
Scarborugh Centre (STC/Civic Centre/Bell Comm)
Yorkdale (Yorkdale Mall)
Lawrence West (Lawrence Square future)
St Clair West (St Michael's College/Loblaws)
Dupont (Geogre Brown College future)
Museum (ROM/Hart House future)
Queens Park (700 University/Ontario parlimentary buildings)
St Patrick (AGO/OCAD/other buildings)
Osgoode (Four Seasons/Opera House)
St Andrew/Union/King/Queen (fully integrated in PATH network)
Dundas (Atrium/TCT/Eaton Ctr/Metropolis/Olympics/Ryerson)
College (College Park/700 Bay)
St Clair (St Clair Centre)
Davisville (Davisville Centre)
Eglinton (Orchard Pk Apts, Yonge-Eglinon Ctr/Canada Square)
York Mills (York Mills Ctr)
Sheppard (Sheppard Centre/Procter Gamble/Nestle Building/55 Sheppard W/Madison Ctr)
North York Centre (NYCC/Empress Walk/civic centre/Novotel)
Finch (5750 Yonge/ North American Life/ Place Nouveau/condominiums on Pemberton Avenue)
Bayview (500 Sheppard E/Bayview Mews future/YMCA)
Bessarion (future condos)
Leslie (North York General/IKEA/office buildings on Old Leslie)
Don Mills (Fairview)

Hey, Dentrofloss54...here's a sample (and only a sample) of critiques.

The only thing St. George has any underground concourse connection to at all is OISE.

Rosedale Medical Centre doesn't connect to Sherbourne.

Crescent Town (is that what you mean by Dentonia?) relative to Victoria Park: well, that's the opposite of "underground", even if it's kinda PATH-esque.

Scarb Centre: Bell's not connected--neither is the Civic Centre, for that matter...

St. Clair West: no St. Mike's connection, though sorta Loblaws for squatting atop of it...

Museum: how on earth (and *why* on earth) would an underground Hart House connection take place?

St. Patrick: no AGO/OCAD connection. The only connection to speak of is w/438 University.

You might as well also account for Main Square relative to Main Street station, or that grotty Coffee Time arcade at Jane, or the seniors home at Dufferin (and soon Christie), or that big reclad donut of a low-rise office block at Lawrence, or the ghost of Warden Woods Mall at Warden, or various Consilium Place flotsam at McCowan...

Scarb Centre: Bell's not connected--neither is the Civic Centre, for that matter...

Neither is the mall, for that matter...you have to go outside.

Fairview also has no "direct" connection to Don Mills station, but the proposed Parkway Forest condos across the street probably will.

^^Well some of those were wish list suggestions. Museum via a new southernly exit onto Hopskins could exit just outside of Hart House. Sherbourne has numerous office towers immediately to the west so a PATH network linking the stop to Grenwin Square, Rogers HQ and some others would be nice. Main St could eventually have a PATH system via a subsurface link to Danforth GO. STC is an above ground station but via the concourse beneath it SCC and the mall are accessible. As for Don Mills, I'd hope they'll someday extend the mall out to the subway, much like Yorkdale Mall has its subway stop.

That's a nice long list but as others have noted, not very accurate even if it is listed for ideal proposed connections.

Concerning College: 700 Bay (which might be a parking lot or LuCliff place) is not connected to College. Rather, RoCP1 and 2 are connected through 777 Bay which is also connected to the College Park apartments. On the other side of the street, the building directly on the SE corner has a nook carved out for subway access but I do not believe this apartment has direct building access.

I'm confused about your post for Osgoode; isn't "FourSeasons/Opera House" the same building? There are no apartment/condo connections at this station as the original poster requested.

Eglinton station also directly accesses the CIBC building on the SE corner (if I can remember) although that way is now blocked for construction. Does this mean that Minto will have access via this connection? If so, that is something that could be added to the original poster's research.

Don't see it mentioned yet

King Street - 1 King West

Well some of those were wish list suggestions. Museum via a new southernly exit onto Hopskins could exit just outside of Hart House.

A southern exit to Museum station would be useful, but it would be nowhere near Hart House and well to the north of Hoskin. The exit would be located right next to the monument at the northern tip of Queen's Park.

For that matter, even the south side of Hoskin is far away from the entrance to Hart House.

What you'd really be asking for is an underground tunnel network a la Queens Park...

For that matter, even the south side of Hoskin is far away from the entrance to Hart House. What you'd really be asking for is an underground tunnel network a la Queens Park...

I thought Museum was focused between Hoskins (Harbord) and Charles St W, such that a new exit at the southernmost point (where the cage currently is) could surface north and south sides of Hoskins. This makes sense since the Queens Park/Hoskins intersection is highly trafficked and confusing for pedestrians, hence dangerous. This could also create a new transfer point for route 94. U of T has lots of underground sections, I'm sure there's a tunnel nearby that could be extended towards the subway.

Eglinton station also directly accesses the CIBC building on the SE corner (if I can remember) although that way is now blocked for construction. Does this mean that Minto will have access via this connection? If so, that is something that could be added to the original poster's research.

Minto was originally -- well, maybe not originally originally, but originally post-adjustments -- slated to connect to the subway, if I remember right, but they subsequently nixed it.

I thought Museum was focused between Hoskins (Harbord) and Charles St W, such that a new exit at the southernmost point (where the cage currently is) could surface north and south sides of Hoskins. This makes sense since the Queens Park/Hoskins intersection is highly trafficked and confusing for pedestrians, hence dangerous. This could also create a new transfer point for route 94. U of T has lots of underground sections, I'm sure there's a tunnel nearby that could be extended towards the subway.

It's Hoskin, and this is an issue that has come up in other threads: you think subway stations are way longer than they are. Museum runs from Charles to the northern tip of Queens Park.

Direct subway entrances often seem to be included in the early phases of a project and then nixed later on. Maybe costs are higher than expected or negotiations with the TTC too difficult.

And to repeat, the S side of Hoskin is still a ways off from Hart House. You might as well be saying that Leslie Dan connects up with Queens Park station...

subway station platforms are 500-feet long, for future reference -- that's not that long of a distance at all.

There is a direct connection fee that is often too high for the vast majority of condos that are built. Plus there is a lot in terms of development review that needs to be done to ensure it meets TTC standards and there's a lot of legal hoo-ha as well.

For $900/sq. ft., 1 Bloor better have it though, or I'd be one pissed off investor.. but I digress.

Direct subway entrances often seem to be included in the early phases of a project and then nixed later on. Maybe costs are higher than expected or negotiations with the TTC too difficult.

Ding! Ding!

You get the impression that TCC and all transit agencies refuse to- or are unable to- get along with the development industry. It is classic case of narrow mandates and heavy regulatory/standards burdens impeding innovation and cooperation. This despite political support from the Province and the Mayor to see these two sectors work hand in glove.

Back