News   Apr 30, 2024
 90     0 
News   Apr 29, 2024
 1.6K     0 
News   Apr 29, 2024
 1K     1 

College Park 444 Yonge/33 College/777 Bay (renovations, Canderel, ground levels, WZMH)

I've always felt this was an under-appreciated shopping/office complex during previous visits. It really feels quite urbane. I hope the renovations would make this place even more of a destination. The shop windows on Yonge are golden opportunities for some spectacular displays.

Earlier this week:
IMG_2052.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_2052.jpg
    IMG_2052.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 839
From all of those photos, I hadn't quite gotten the fact the a new bank of elevators was being added to the atrium here to service the podium levels of the office building. I suppose with less space given to employees to work these days, you gradually need more elevators, or at least faster or better programmed ones, to service an older office tower's contemporary needs. So, here's what it all looks like now, nearly finished, with new public art soon to be unveiled:

DSC03669.jpg
DSC03670.jpg

Suspended above the PATH level (not serving it), the lowest level of the new elevators is seven steps above the level of the ground floor, so you have to go up stairs or a ramp to get to them.
DSC03671.jpg
DSC03673.jpg

Meanwhile, elsewhere…
DSC03672.jpg

PATH Level:
DSC03674.jpg
DSC03675.jpg
DSC03676.jpg
DSC03677.jpg

Attachments

• DSC03669.jpg
    DSC03669.jpg
    501.4 KB · Views: 498
  • DSC03670.jpg
    DSC03670.jpg
    456.8 KB · Views: 508
  • DSC03671.jpg
    DSC03671.jpg
    228.3 KB · Views: 532
  • DSC03672.jpg
    DSC03672.jpg
    231.8 KB · Views: 470
  • DSC03673.jpg
    DSC03673.jpg
    243.5 KB · Views: 476
  • DSC03674.jpg
    DSC03674.jpg
    225.6 KB · Views: 557
  • DSC03675.jpg
    DSC03675.jpg
    266 KB · Views: 547
  • DSC03676.jpg
    DSC03676.jpg
    271.4 KB · Views: 524
  • DSC03677.jpg
    DSC03677.jpg
    486.4 KB · Views: 475
No news, just an observation, I was passing through the 444 side (old Eatons) yesterday, on the concourse level.

It's never (in my lifetime) been a spectacular space, though when they re-opened the atrium type bit, connected to Yonge, added the Richtree and the Metro, there seemed to be some hope for the place.

But in passing through yesterday, I noted the old Richtree spot was vacant, the food court is a dated and ugly creature, and even the Metro, while hopping busy, is looking physically rough, and overcrowded.

Seems to me this should be prime space these days, but no real attempt to keep up, let alone elevate this space to the level it could be at.

I would love to see the lower level speak more to the historic Deco look/feel of the building; gut the food court and elevate it several notches; somehow capture that light-filled atria better (maybe that's the logical food court?

Further, at the very least, refurbish/repair the Metro, but ideally, find it an extra 3,000 sq ft somewhere, and invest to make it more best-in-class, at least for that chain.

I wish they would fix the damn Yonge/College escalators which have been out of service for maintenance for at least 6 months.

Last edited:
Update: A source has told me that the Metro here was allowed to run down due to bogged down negotiations w/the landlord.

I am told, that they made an offer to take over the space currently occupied by the moribund food court. (an an expansion of their existing space)

What layout they had in mind (I'm assuming a through passage way would still have been required) I do not know.

In any event, I am given to understand they were close on terms..........then something happened.

Subsequently, I gather discussions resumed.

* I offer the usual asterisk that this is 3rd hand information, and I cannot verify it.

But it all seems plausible and there was enough supporting detail to to make it seem credible.

If true.......this would contribute to my negative perception of the management at this property.

Perhaps others may have more insight.

Update: A source has told me that the Metro here was allowed to run down due to bogged down negotiations w/the landlord.

I am told, that they made an offer to take over the space currently occupied by the moribund food court. (an an expansion of their existing space)

What layout they had in mind (I'm assuming a through passage way would still have been required) I do not know.

In any event, I am given to understand they were close on terms..........then something happened.

Subsequently, I gather discussions resumed.

* I offer the usual asterisk that this is 3rd hand information, and I cannot verify it.

But it all seems plausible and there was enough supporting detail to to make it seem credible.

If true.......this would contribute to my negative perception of the management at this property.

Perhaps others may have more insight.

I am curious if Sobey's upstairs is a stumbling block - the whole two groceries store in one smallish shopping complex arrangement is bizarre - and I'd be a little suspicious of a landlord that allow for it.

AoD

I am curious if Sobey's upstairs is a stumbling block - the whole two groceries store in one smallish shopping complex arrangement is bizarre - and I'd be a little suspicious of a landlord that allow for it.

AoD

Unless I'm mistaken..........

Two different lessors.

Sobeys is in 777 Bay which I believe is controlled by Canderel while 444 Yonge (College Park) is managed by GWL.

Last edited:
If true GWL should take the offer; it would be a free pass for them since they have basically allowed the entire food court area to become almost run down mess whose current state doesnt meet the needs of the complex at all. They haven't put a dime into upgrading any of services in the complex, while Canderel (has very surprisingly) has revamped 777 Bay completely. Unless GWL has a better plan in mind, I dont see why they would reject the offer. In an ideal world it would be nice to have the Metro location expanded/renovated with the food court area renovated as well. They can take some space from the Tim Horton's location, whom's size far outweighs what they actually need and use.

It doesn't surprise me that Metro would want to upgrade their location here since the Sobeys at 777 Bay, and Loblaws at Maple Leaf Square are both most likely taking away business from them.

I'd be curious as to how they would re-route the flow-through from College Station exit to the rest of the College Park complex if Metro take over the existing food court.

AoD

I imagine they would route it through the easternmost portion of the existing metro, instead of half way through the lower level retail area like it is currently.

A lot depends upon the setup for Metro to take deliveries, which would be far more substantial than what goes through the food court shops: there'd likely need to be expensive changes made a floor below as well.

Back