News   Mar 18, 2024
 707     0 
News   Mar 18, 2024
 2.5K     4 
News   Mar 18, 2024
 763     0 

Coffee Time

That building is interesting.It has that very cheap addition at street level, the inappropriate billboard, what looks like a tower without a spire, the ornamental iron cresting removed; however, the ornamented brick facade seems to be in decent shape and the roof retains what was probably its original diamond pattern.

It looks it can be salvaged for something great, at least from that angle.

They built a new building for an "opening soon" coffee time at Progress and Midland in Scarborough last year. I don't get out that way too often, but it appears that they built it and the coffee time... just never opened ? Now it's closed and for lease without having even tried. Way to go Coffee Time!

Mimico. Architecturally, one of my favourite Coffee Time's. I think those are original signs too. Better photograph these now because it looks like this chain is going the way of Mr. Donut.

cofftime.jpg

I'll be delighted when this coffee chain disappears. I used to go on the Dine Safe website to laugh at how many of its shops had been cited for violations.

Mimico. Architecturally, one of my favourite Coffee Time's. I think those are original signs too. Better photograph these now because it looks like this chain is going the way of Mr. Donut.

cofftime.jpg

Those aren't original signs--though it looks like they've been inserted within the original sign frames. (And actually, the "original" 80s Coffee Time signage was a crude rubbery upper-case Coffee-above-Time within a coffee'n'donut background)

I'd like to know what the premises now holding said Coffee Time was built for, though (a gas station/garage?)

^ Thanks for the info adma. It kind of looks like it used to be an old garage and maybe there were gas pumps to the right which is now a parking lot. I checked out Mister Donut to see how alive they were in Toronto and I found 3 locations out in the 'burbs. They are very big internationally, esp. in Asia/Middle East. Mister Donut was started by 2 brothers-in-law who subsequently split up. One stayed with Mister Donut and the other one went off and started another donut chain and called it Dunkin Donuts. I found that very interesting and hope you did too. That's our donut chain history lesson for the day.

I'll be delighted when this coffee chain disappears. I used to go on the Dine Safe website to laugh at how many of its shops had been cited for violations.

I agree wholeheartedly - I've despised this chain and their ratty stores and offensively ugly designs for ages. The fact that they're magnets for the dregs of society make them that much worse. I cackle to myself inside whenever I see another one close shop, which has been happening delightfully frequently!

The Coffee Time at King/Queen/Ronces has finally bit the dust. Chop off that extension and open a cafe with a large patio. Lots of good streetcar watching. I wonder if this is going to be another Eggsmart?

ctkq.jpg

That really would be an amazing potential site for an elegant European style cafe/bistro with a large patio as you said, but I'm not convinced the area has gentrified enough yet...

I am always surprised that the one on the corner of Queens Quay and Spadina is still around. Considering the area, and the fact the Coffee Time is rarely frequented by people in the area, I don't know how it's managed to survive.

Back