News   May 10, 2024
 1.3K     1 
News   May 10, 2024
 1.9K     0 
News   May 10, 2024
 1.2K     0 

City-TV & OMNI-TV's H.Q. (formerly Torch, Quadrangle)

In the warmer months there are events more days than not, and even during the cooler months a fair number of people frequent it. Perhaps if you're visiting at three in the morning it's dead however. Either way, I think it's a valuable public space in the heart of the city.

2572543212_04ab2cdbff.jpg

Yes, bustling. Maybe not in the winter so much, but even in winter there's always tons of stuff going on at Dundas Square. And in warm weather there's always tons of people there. There are already countless pictures within the TLS thread to prove my point, so I feel no more need to discuss this further.

Yonge-Dundas Square has no natural draw. For the millions spent on it it does not attract people on its own merits. Except in summer when the fountains are flowing (the best element in the square) why would anyone want to hang at YD Square? Sure, when there's something going on its a terrific open space to stage events in the middle of the city. But as an urban park, a signature space in the urban heart of the city, it's uninspired. Here's a shot taken at 2pm Tuesday. OK, it's cold, but if the space was better designed it would have a lot more life. There's a steady flow on Yonge St. that never enters the square.

Attachments

• 09YDSquare1.jpg
    09YDSquare1.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 206
When will they get rid of that f'king Transformer® from the stage. It's gross both closed and open and far from what was originally intended.

urbanplaza_2.jpg

The stage was designed to be the central element of the square and it turned out to be an attraction for all the wrong reasons. yuck.

What really bothers me with the square is the fact the fountains were originally lit from below - and were programmed to 'dance' in various squences. What the hell happened?

Things I would like to change about the square are:

- stage, this stage is too low for things that are big draws, the stage should be about 10ft above the street level (and covered).
- There needs to get some "diverse" street food vendors (maybe 3 to 5), and get rid of those trinket vendors that clutter the area.... tables, chairs, outdoors and good food. It would be nice if they would change the laws as well to allow beer as well :rolleyes:

I personally side with those who think the square has been wildly successful. Even in Soho's photo, on a cold day, there are enough bodies just taking in the sun, something I've noticed frequently even in not-so-great weather. I have lots of photos of squares in European cities that are so populated, empty except for a few morning dwellers taking their coffee, but later in the day you couldn't get a seat if you wanted to. Expecting Dundas Square to be fully occupied at all times is setting the benchmark a tad high.

Besides, no matter what you did, the square is off to the side of Yonge Street. It's not a natural place to cross, and no amount of "design" would change that. I think the photos, which shows a number of people clearly off to the side of life's pageant, taking a little pause, is wonderful and perfectly appropriate for the square.

What really bothers me with the square is the fact the fountains were originally lit from below - and were programmed to 'dance' in various squences. What the hell happened?

They still do! ...

As of the end of last summer that is. Not sure about the lighting - but they definitely change heights in a few different patterns.

The fountains haven't been on for 6 months it's a funny time to have such a complaint ;)

After visiting a number of squares in Europe last fall and seeing Times Square again, I would say that Yonge-Dundas Square is very successful as well.

YDS is cozy and sized very well. Many european squares were just massive and lost the humane feeling that YDS has.

And Times Square in NYC felt like a through way; not a place you might stop and see what's going on, like at YDS.

I think the TV studio will add a another nice touch to the square.

Last edited:
If they want to make it usable year-round, perhaps they can consider using radiant heating for clearing snow from the slabs - it's going to be one pricey electricity bill...

The city should also consider directing s. 37 funds from developments in the area to the project - which can still be improved incrementally.

AoD

After visiting a number of squares in Europe last fall and seeing Times Square again, I would say that Toronto Life Square is very successful as well.

TLS is cozy and sized very well. Many european squares were just massive and lost the humane feeling that TLS has.

And Times Square in NYC felt like a through way; not a place you might stop and see what's going on, like at TLS.

I think the TV studio will add a another nice touch to the square.

Toronto Life Square is the building. The square is called Yonge-Dundas Square. Its not an uncommon mistake.

Back