News   May 02, 2024
 41     0 
News   May 02, 2024
 323     0 
News   May 01, 2024
 2.1K     1 

City to limit number of garage sales

^ Why should they go after the eBay junk sellers? There probably isn't a lot of tax to be had there. It brings in a bit of cash and exports our junk. Pretty sweet operation, I'd say.

Babel I agree. Unfortunately though Ebay does not cause people to park their cars on the sidewalk and cause havoc on many of our smaller side streets.

There's a local eBay seller who currently has 1,347 items for sale - and an astonishing 34,376 feedbacks for completed auctions. I bought something from him a couple of years ago and decided to pick it up rather than having it mailed. He operates out of a warehouse just off Yonge, around Finch/Steeles. The front room had half a dozen asian women wrapping things up in boxes.

21stcentury, what you're saying is reasonable as is the intention of limiting garage sales but I still think there is little benefit in expanding the hydra of by-law legislation to such trival concerns. The implications to small business owners is not inert the cost in time money and effort on behalf of people attempting to comply has become a huge drag on innovation and development. The city government itself becomes bloated and even if fines levied are supposed to cover the cost of enforcement, it distracts from the real priorities of the city which are sometimes ignored while trivial items are contemplated to exhaustion.

It is not a trivial issue when it adversely impacts the liveability of some residential areas. If people are effectively turning their front lawns into permanent flea markets during the warm months, that is a concern that should be addressed. By your reasoning, we should also get rid of speed limits on residential streets, anti-littering rules, restaurant inspections, dog licensing, noise by-laws and zoning controls -- if fact, anything that regulates urban living -- on the basis that it requires time, effort and money to enforce.

Further, I think you are seriously overestimating the public resources that will be required for the enactment and enforcement of this by-law.

"It is not a trivial issue when it adversely impacts the liveability of some residential areas"

Perhaps I am picking a battle on the basis of philosophy and this garage sale issue is not the best one to choose. On the other hand while I am perhaps exaggerating on the cost side, how adversely do garage sales really impact the liveability of residential areas? I am not suggesting that all by-law (say littering etc.) is not necessary or good but that we really need to step back once and a while and contemplate the merits of continuously adding and appending to the number of by-laws. In issolation the intent behind each by-law can be perfectly reasonable as is the case here but taken as a collective the results can become unreasonable even absurd. Residents club each other over the head with by-laws instead of talking to each other like civilized people and virtually everyone is exposed because virtually everyone is in violation of some by-law.

On this note aren't they contemplating a ban on power tools on sundays including mowers. Again both a reasonable intent and yet absurd at the same time.

A lot of times the bylaw is there so that particularly intransignent cases can be dealt with legally. Without it, the city could be in stuck in a position of not being able to do anything.

I believe this bylaw is to be enforced only on a per-complaint basis.

AoD

Back