News   May 03, 2024
 523     0 
News   May 03, 2024
 257     0 

CBC: Airport fee to be hiked for Pearson departures

S

simply Dan

CBC: Airport fee to be hiked for Pearson departures

Departing passengers at Toronto's Pearson International Airport will have to reach deeper into their pockets at the beginning of 2007.

Effective Jan. 1, the airport improvement fee (AIF) will increase to $20, a $5 increase, the Greater Toronto Airport Authority said in a statement Tuesday.

The GTAA, which operates the airport, said there will be no change to the $8 AIF charged to connecting passengers.

The fee increase will be used to partially fund higher capital costs and the airport's associated debt, the airport authority said, and will be timed to coincide with the opening of the new international pier.

"This will complete the Airport Development Program, which saw the creation of Terminal 1, improvements to runways, taxiways, roads, bridges, IT systems and utilities for the entire airport," the organization said in the release.

Air Canada criticizes fee increase

The adjustment was quickly criticized by Air Canada, the country's largest airline.

"A 33 per cent increase in the airport improvement fee is totally unreasonable and is irrefutable proof that the government has to rein in airport authorities and reduce ground rents," said Peter Fitzpatrick, a spokesman for the Montreal-based carrier.

"Pearson is solidifying its position as the most expensive airport in the world, costing travellers dearly and stifling economic growth in the region and beyond."

Canada's airlines have claimed that skyrocketing costs to use the airport, coupled with rising fuel prices, have eaten into profits and pushed up consumer prices. Pearson has also received criticism this year from industry officials outside Canada for the fees it charges airlines.

Jim May, president and chief executive of the Air Transport Association of America, criticized the airport at an industry conference in Montreal this summer. May claimed Pearson charged more than double the rate to airlines than at New York's La Guardia airport.

As well, Israeli carrier El Al announced it would drastically cut its flights to Toronto due to operating costs at Pearson.

In 2005, Pearson handled nearly 30 million passengers. That ranked 29th on the global list of busiest passenger airports, according to the Airports Council International.

With files from the Canadian Press

It's one more thing that may encourage short-haul flights to go from the Island, oops City Centre, Airport.

Hamilton Airport may also benefit.

I think the Liberal government also screwed Toronto with the airport rents. And with the (perceived, at least) hatred to Toronto by the Conservatives (versus indifference by the Liberals), it's not likely to change.

Not that I fly much - I take the train much more, even my summer trip to Chicago I didn't bother to fly.

Not that I fly much - I take the train much more, even my summer trip to Chicago I didn't bother to fly.
I managed to set a new record for recreational flights last year and that seemed to be a direct result of the new terminal. If they fixed security so you could get through it in 5 minutes instead of 20, I would probably go more.

I don't mind the flight but time spent in the airport itself, particularly a rundown or overcrowded terminal, really gets to me.

I don't even bother to fly out of YYZ anymore, it's so expensive, I go to Buffalo, its almost 50% cheaper to fly by doing that.

It's become less and less attractive to fly. For the first time, I'll be taking the bus to Boston and New York... I've had enough of the outrageous taxes and fees. We'll see how that goes.

I took a bus to Chicago from Toronto when I took a job there (6 years ago or so), I would never do it again. I will pay the extra taxes and fly.

Maybe the airport rail link if it ever gets built should be built to Buffalo Airport rather than Pearson. Also maybe the airport should be renamed from "Lester B Pearson International Airport" to "Chretien Martin Harper Ripoff Toronto Airport".

I don't even bother to fly out of YYZ anymore, it's so expensive, I go to Buffalo, its almost 50% cheaper to fly by doing that.

That's partially true. While flights to the states are way cheaper from Buffalo, Toronto's international flights remain very competitive, particularly to European cities.

Internationally, Pearson usually ends up being the cheapest place to fly out of between Toronto, Ottawa, and Montreal. And the regular service that it receives makes it very
convenient.

My only issue with Pearson is access. Since I usually incorporate a trip to visit family in Kingston with other travels, a proper rail link (VIA would be great but I would even be happy with GO) would make Pearson that much more desireable. That is why I really like flying out of Trudeau.

I recently arrived at T3 for a visit to Toronto without having thought to arrange transport into the city, and I have to tell you that what I experienced was disgraceful.

There was a line of easily 200--250 people for the ludicrous black airport cabs, which seemed to be coming in at a rate of about one every two minutes. I decided instead to take the 'Airport Express' bus, which is a laughably Mickey-Mouse operation. It took a good 30-40 minutes to get out of the airport, whereupon an unbelievably tacky tourist information video was played at very high volume.

It then made an unbelievably circuitous route through Downtown that seemed to have been designed on a zig-zagging principle, and also managed to skip about half of the major hotels (mine included). All told, getting from the arrivals ramp at Pearson to my hotel on Bay St. took almost 2 hours. I was basically in shock at what a nightmare it was.

It boggles my mind that the GTAA and the various governments, if they can't stop squabbling on a rail link, can't at least figure out an efficient way to get cabs through the airport (for example, by letting cabs other than the black ones, of which there is a very limited number at peak times, do pick-ups at Pearson).

Compare this to arriving in London, whereupon one can be at Paddington within half an hour at the outside, and other European (and even many American) hubs where getting into town is painless. Pearson itself is increasingly one of the best big airports in North America, but the access situation is a joke.

The TTC's 192 Airport Rocket is pretty fast, pretty frequent, and while not a glamourous way to travel, an unbelievable bargain at the price of one token. With free access to the rest of the TTC system it is more convenient than many people realize. If you're not carrying too much luggage, and you're close to a subway station, it's the way to go.

End of advertisement.

^I am sure the 192 is fine for what it is. But after a long flight, the last thing I really want to do is stand around waiting in a long line for a taxi (who may or may not be trying to overcharge me which is why I try to avoid them whenever possible), or have to take a bus. Even taking a subway can be a drag if its crowded and your a couple dozen stops down line.

I think the best post flight experience I had was arriving at Amsterdams Schipol. You walk into the public area, you see easy to read signs telling where to go, walk down a set of stairs, buy your ticket from an electronic vending machine, and then wait 10 - 15 minutes for a pleasant commuter train and another 15 minutes or so by train to the central station. Quick, easy, and comfortable.

With an airport the size of Pearson, access to it is shameful.

The 192 runs frequently enough. I always take it when I arrive from Heathrow, or depart from the subway for the airport.

Mind you, I'm Babel the Bus Guy. I took a bus from London to Athens and back - on two occasions, 1978 and 1979.

Three days in a bus in July. The sandwiches lasted until we got to the Alps.

I think the airport express bus is privately run, although i dont really know. And about the cabs, they probably should do something about it (without letting ALL other cabs in which would flood it), but I seriously dont see why ANYone would take a cab, which costs 10-30 times more than the 192.

Back