News   May 17, 2024
 2.9K     5 
News   May 17, 2024
 2K     3 
News   May 17, 2024
 11K     10 

Carjacked: An Anthropology of Americans and their Automobiles

The comparisons of car bs transit are not equivalent. Unless you live work and play downtown and never venture north of Bloor you could survive with just the TTC. For everyone else who require travel to suburbia for work or to live due to high housing costs, the car is a necessity. People can't rely on transit that takes 2-3hrs to get anywhere.

The comparisons of car bs transit are not equivalent. Unless you live work and play downtown and never venture north of Bloor you could survive with just the TTC. For everyone else who require travel to suburbia for work or to live due to high housing costs, the car is a necessity. People can't rely on transit that takes 2-3hrs to get anywhere.
Transit that takes 2-3 hours? Where?? All I see is transit that'll get you where you want in an hour and a half.
Really. The longest trip on the Go train takes 1:40, unless you're going from Hamilton to Durham. And that's from Barrie. Barrie. Your average Go trip will be under an hour, with the bus to the station taking maybe half an hour, then a 5 minute walk to work from Union, or another >30 minute bus ride to where you want to go.

Sure, it gets a bit less convenient when you're going off peak and you have to take the Go bus around, but it's still quite fast. Faster than a car in several situations. And, I get to read while moving around. Or sleep, or text message people for the sake of being bothersome.
It would seem that bikes vs cars is still a totally fair match up though.

Using combination of MT and GO, it takes me an hour or so to get from Creditview/Britannia area in Mississauga to Union Station, and it only takes 35 minutes to get to Square One using MT. Just sayin'.

Car is only a necessity outside of downtown if you are a straight male and you have a girlfriend who also lives outside downtown. Luckily, there are girls who live downtown as well, and not all of them are lesbian.

If there was a better way to get me from Cabbagetown to Markham Rd. and 14 Ave. then I'd ditch the car. But there isn't. I'm not moving to Markham or the inner burbs, so the car it's got to be.

Meh... I live north of Bloor, west of Lansdowne. Work in Mississauga near Square One. Play in the west end, downtown, Hamilton, Brampton, and other places. Car is not necessary for any of this. Cycling and transit is all our family needs.

I think it really depends on one's personal situation, where you work and where you live. If transit works for you that's great. But you can't tell other people that they should be taking transit if it's just going to waste their time.

Countries around the world had thought the car was the way of the future. Some people still think it is. From The Star: The following problem is brought to you by the car:

China's 100-km traffic jam now in its 10th day, could last 24 more

3b1e7dc84ecdb093de1a3abe6b4a.jpeg

BEIJING—A massive traffic jam in north China that stretches for 100 kilometres and hit its 10-day mark on Tuesday stems from road construction in Beijing that won't be finished until the middle of next month, an official said.

Bumper-to-bumper gridlock – with vehicles moving little more than a one kilometre a day at one point – has improved since last weekend, said Zhang Minghai, director of Zhangjiakou city's Traffic Management Bureau general office.

Some drivers have been stuck in the jam for five days, China Central Television reported Tuesday. But Zhang said he wasn't sure when the situation along the Beijing-Zhangjiakou highway would return to normal.

The traffic jam started Aug. 14 on a stretch of the highway that is frequently congested, especially after large coalfields were discovered in Inner Mongolia, Zhang said. Traffic volume has increased 40 per cent every year.

Drivers stranded in the gridlock in the Inner Mongolia region and Hebei province, headed toward Beijing, passed the time sleeping, walking around, or playing cards and chess.

Local villagers were doing brisk business selling instant noodles, boxed lunches and snacks, weaving between the parked trucks on bicycles.

Though there were no reports of road-rage violence, drivers complained about price-gouging by villagers who were their only source of food and water. A bottle of water that normally costs 1 yuan (15 cents) was selling for 10 yuan ($1.50), while the price of a 3 yuan- (45 cent-) cup of instant noodles had more than tripled, media reports said.

"A boxed lunch is 10 yuan ($1.50), and one box isn't enough for me," China National Radio cited a driver surnamed Lu as saying. "I'm spending up to 50 yuan (about $7.50) a day on food. It's more expensive than eating in a restaurant."

The highway construction in Beijing that is restricting inbound traffic flow and causing the jam "will not be finished until Sept. 17," Zhang said.

Authorities were trying to speed up traffic by allowing more trucks to enter Beijing, especially at night, Zhang said. They are also asking trucking companies to suspend operations and advised drivers to take alternate routes.

China's roadways are increasingly overburdened as the number of private vehicles booms along with commercial truck traffic hauling materials like coal and food to cities. Traffic slowdowns because of construction and accidents are common, though a 10-day traffic jam is unusual even in China.

I think it really depends on one's personal situation, where you work and where you live. If transit works for you that's great. But you can't tell other people that they should be taking transit if it's just going to waste their time.

No one is saying that transit should be the choice. Just disputing the claim that transit in the 905 is not an option at all.

Countries around the world had thought the car was the way of the future. Some people still think it is. From The Star: The following problem is brought to you by the car:

Yes, let's ignore the fact that there is construction contributing to the congestion. Is there never construction on rail networks?

Also, remember that time people were stuck in trains in the Channel tunnel and had to walk out? No transportation system is free from SNAFUs.

The following problem is brought to you by the car:
Show me one, just one car in that traffic jam. First of all, there are no cars in that photo, so you're full of it there. Second of all, the road is closed or partially so for construction, so of course the trucks are stopped and waiting.

Thanks for the suggestion. Glad to see people thinking about these types of problems (and not just because it's my problem).

However, that bus ride alone is still an hour, nevermind the time required to get to Yorkdale (35 min according to MyTTC: http://myttc.ca/travel/from/weston_and_st_phillips/to/yorkdale_go_station/by/7:40am)

You could drive to Yorkdale and take the bus from there. However, since the bus doesn't have any ROW there wouldn't be any travel incentive of speed. Also since the mall isn't open at that hour, you would have to pay for parking in TTC lots. If you were up to it, biking to Yorkdale might be an option though (especially if gas goes through the roof again...).

Transit that takes 2-3 hours? Where?? All I see is transit that'll get you where you want in an hour and a half.
Really. The longest trip on the Go train takes 1:40, unless you're going from Hamilton to Durham. And that's from Barrie. Barrie. Your average Go trip will be under an hour, with the bus to the station taking maybe half an hour, then a 5 minute walk to work from Union, or another >30 minute bus ride to where you want to go.

Sure, it gets a bit less convenient when you're going off peak and you have to take the Go bus around, but it's still quite fast. Faster than a car in several situations. And, I get to read while moving around. Or sleep, or text message people for the sake of being bothersome.
It would seem that bikes vs cars is still a totally fair match up though.

There are plenty of transit commutes within the GTA which take 2 hours easily, all things considered. From Malvern Town Center to York University the TTC's website estimates 130 minutes. Before the Viva, getting from Richmond Hill to East York was a good 2 hours as well. I've also spent upwards of 5 hours on intercity transit commutes within the Greater Golden Horseshoe.

No one is saying that transit should be the choice. Just disputing the claim that transit in the 905 is not an option at all.

It is possible, but far from ideal. I know a few adults who live in Richmond Hill who don't drive, unfortunately they are of a lower income. When I first moved out on my own I lived near Don Mills and Steeles and managed for about a year before buying a car. The car allowed me to explore better employment opportunities than I could with transit. I've since moved back home because I'm going back to school, but will drive just to Langstaff GO and take a 407 bus from there.

The focus shouldn't be pro-car vs anti-car, but car dependence. Do you need to drive all the way downtown when you can take transit? Do you need to drive to the bank when you can bike to it? The car isn't going anywhere, but we don't need to use it for every single trip either.

One thing that frustrates me is that the fare structure pits transit in competition with the car. Ownership and maintenance aside, the costs relating directly to a trip are gas and parking. Most cars average 10km/liter. So at a $1/liter, one would have to travel at least 25-30km each way before taking the TTC would make financial sense - assuming parking is free. Pay parking helps to tip things in the favour for transit, and rapid transit also creates an incentive as it allows you to cut through congested areas with grade separation or transit lanes. But beyond downtown there are only a handful of places where this applies. If a single transit ride was about a dollar or less, then drivers may feel more of an incentive to take transit for short local trips (this is yet another reason why killing the Metropass parking perk was a completely idiotic idea).

Last edited:
Grist has a short article on the spending by the U.S. government on transit and highways. Click on this link for the website.

phpThumb.php

phpThumb.php

Of course, in Canada, the federal government tends to give very little or zero towards transit. The provinces probably reflect the the spending by the U.S. federal government.

There are plenty of transit commutes within the GTA which take 2 hours easily, all things considered. From Malvern Town Center to York University the TTC's website estimates 130 minutes.

Yeah, but that's why there's the GO bus between York and SCC so a trip between Malvern and York by transit need only take around 70 minutes (if you factor in wait times). It's also a good argument for the completion of the Sheppard subway...

Grist has a short article on the spending by the U.S. government on transit and highways. Click on this link for the website.

phpThumb.php

phpThumb.php

Of course, in Canada, the federal government tends to give very little or zero towards transit. The provinces probably reflect the the spending by the U.S. federal government.

Province of Ontario, 2008 budget:
http://www.fin.gov.on.ca/en/budget/ontariobudgets/2008/bk4.html

- $2.5 billion for roads and highways

vs.

- $1 billion for transit

That's almost 30% for transit right there, so your use of US examples doesn't make much sense.

Is Canada really like the US? The fact that Mississauga Transit alone has higher ridership than the entire Pace system should mean something, shouldn't it?

Canadians are actually 2.5 times more likely to use transit than US Americans, and there are good reasons for that...

Last edited:

Back