News   May 02, 2024
 168     0 
News   May 01, 2024
 1.7K     1 
News   May 01, 2024
 412     0 

Captain John's Restaurant (1975-2012)

I've lived in Toronto for almost 20 years. In my entire time here, Captain John's has never been relevant, except in a negative way. It is an eyesore and nobody wants to go there. It also takes up valuable space. I can't believe that it's still here after all this time, and might still be here for quite some time more.

For a time, the city used to set fire to ships in the waters off Sunnyside Beach for a night-time entertainment.

This photo is from 1929.
thumbnailimage1-burning-of-s-s-john-hanlan-1929_thumb.jpg

However, don't think metal ships would burn very good.

Why doesn't the city just confiscate the boat and beach it out on the far reaches of Tommy Thompson park? It won't bother anyone out there, and it will make a great landmark. It will also preserve the memory of Captain John's for all those people who think that's worth remembering.

shipwrecks-500-65.jpg

Problem solved. You're welcome, Toronto.

That is absolutely brilliant. Could make a great tourst destination. We could even make up a fake story about how it ended up there. Perhaps a giant storm or monsters? :rolleyes:

I had heard it would be very expensive to do something like that. First of all there is a ton of money that is owed on that thing, and that needs to be paid off. Second, it would have to be gutted and cleaned to sink it or beach it, and it's very expensive to do that too. I'm not sure they could just beach it though, because it would be a safety hazard.

Eug:

The (the city) might as well write off the debt since it is highly unlikely they are going to get it - and the quoted figure of 250K sounds like a pretty reasonable price for getting rid of it.

AoD

I had heard it would be very expensive to do something like that. First of all there is a ton of money that is owed on that thing, and that needs to be paid off. Second, it would have to be gutted and cleaned to sink it or beach it, and it's very expensive to do that too. I'm not sure they could just beach it though, because it would be a safety hazard.

That's the one thing I was wondering about. I had read about how prohibitive the cost would be to actually drag it away, dismantle it, and dispose of it. I wondered whether it would simply be easier and cheaper to drag it to the Leslie Street Spit, where scrap from construction sites is already being processed, and lodge it onto the beach. It's not like the scrap metal from the boat would be out of place there. And, as I mentioned, we'd get a cool shipwreck landmark out of it (just like St. Catharines).

I had not realised until now that "Captain John" is living on the ship, spending his days "sleeping on a mattress on the floor." He is 74! Isn't this a personal safety issue? The article says utilities have been disconnected and the ship has no engine. Does he have any power or running water? Is someone ever going in there to check on him? This has disturbing similarities to a hoarder. Is this going to end when someone goes in there and finds he has been dead for a month? Perhaps the city should request the Public Guardian investigate him.

It's also funny how the city is quoted as saying they have avoided legal remedies because the court process could take "months." Meanwhile, two years later, he owes even more money and still nothing has happened. Force him into bankruptcy already.

Last edited:
Johnny:

Apparently spending only half his time on the ship - I'd imagine out of fear that if he doesn't stay on it he might get locked out.

AoD

Johnny:

Apparently spending only half his time on the ship - I'd imagine out of fear that if he doesn't stay on it he might get locked out.

AoD

Ah that's good to hear that he is not actually living there permanently.

According to the last Star article, "Captain John" owns a small apartment building in Scarborough. I don't know which property, or what that might be worth, but couldn't the city and other creditors go to court to force back payments, or even possession of that property? I don't want the guy to become homeless or anything, I figure that a Scarborough low-rise should be worth well over $1,000,000 which should more than cover his outstanding debts and leave some money to live on, enough even to buy a condo to live out the rest of his life. Right now, he's holding on and accumulating even more debts.

I'm a compassionate person, but if TCHC is busy evicting desititute seniors and throwing them on the street (a serious problem), by the same token the city should be going after "Captain John" regardless of what he did 25-30 years ago (which won't end up throwing him on the street).

Last edited:
According to the last Star article, "Captain John" owns a small apartment building in Scarborough. I don't know which property, or what that might be worth, but couldn't the city and other creditors go to court to force back payments, or even possession of that property? I don't want the guy to become homeless or anything, I figure that a Scarborough low-rise should be worth well over $1,000,000 which should more than cover his outstanding debts and leave some money to live on, enough even to buy a condo to live out the rest of his life. Right now, he's holding on and accumulating even more debts.

I'm a compassionate person, but if TCHC is busy evicting desititute seniors and throwing them on the street (a serious problem), by the same token the city should be going after "Captain John" regardless of what he did 25-30 years ago (which won't end up throwing him on the street).

Depending how the business is setup, he may not be personal libel for the debit of the company. Therefore, no one can go after his personal property or himself to recover any of the money if the company is setup leaving him not libel for the debit.

If he is libel for some or all of the debit, then a court action has to take place to put him into bankruptcy to recovery the money that is own to the creditors. Any remaining money would go to him

Personally, time to write off the debit and tow it to the scrap yard or to be break wall some place or what every.

Too bad Captain John couldn't call on Gordon Ramsey to bailout his failing restaurant-ship... that would've been one heck of an episode to watch ;)

Back