News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.7K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 374     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 949     1 

Canadian Tire

Really? What about the College Park Metro? Or the one under the Merchandise Building...

The College Park Metro is always ridiculously busy outside of middle-of-the-night hours, and they consistently have trouble stocking items. I can only imagine it getting worse with the new condos opening up (Murano, Lumiere).

I was personally hoping for the Loblaws to open in the Maple Leaf Gardens, but we all know that's not going to happen...

I like that they are acknowledging that the needs of a downtown store differ from those in the burbs. That's cool, and it seems to be a trend that is growing (Sobey's Urban Fresh, Urban Brick, etc.). But at the same time, I hope these stores understand that a trendy new name and logo won't entice anyone if the shopping experience is not good.

- Please put back more human cashiers and stop pushing everyone to the annoying self-checkouts

- Please staff the returns desk in the basement with more than one person at a time so it doesn't take me 45 minutes to return something I bought by mistake

- Please don't have uniformed security guards staring at me when I walk into the store. I don't see this in the burbs. We're in downtown Toronto, not Baghdad.

- Please have things in stock, especially when you advertise or put them on sale. Nothing like walking 8 blocks in the freezing rain to get something I saw in the flyer only to be greeted by an empty shelf.

- Is there a delivery service for larger items that are in stock? I don't have a car and there's only so much I can carry. I'd pay a reasonable fee to occasionally have large things like lighting fixtures delivered.

- Please hire staff that I can actually find, and staff that actually have a vague knowledge of the store and products they sell. The staff were ubiquitous and overzealous the first two weeks after opening, then they all went into the Witness Protection Program and haven't been seen since.

- Groceries sounds like a doomed proposition, even if they don't sell smelly tires. The Merchandise Building Metro is a block away; I'll admit it's not the greatest grocery store on the planet but it's got to be better than buying food from a little boutique in the corner of Canadian Tire! Stocking food is time-sensitive and not like stocking tools, and I would expect experiences similar to the grossly sour milk I bought at Shopper's Drug Mart once.

- Please put back more human cashiers and stop pushing everyone to the annoying self-checkouts

No money for more cashiers. The self checkouts will be paid off within 2 years. The self checkouts are fast and easy anyway.

- Please staff the returns desk in the basement with more than one person at a time so it doesn't take me 45 minutes to return something I bought by mistake

There is room for 3 people at returns, but we only use two at a time. The times when you see one person, its because the other has gone on break or lunch.

- Please don't have uniformed security guards staring at me when I walk into the store. I don't see this in the burbs. We're in downtown Toronto, not Baghdad.

Its needed. You dont even want to know how many people attempt to just walk through the cash registers without paying. It doesn't happen in the burbs as much as it does here.

- Please have things in stock, especially when you advertise or put them on sale. Nothing like walking 8 blocks in the freezing rain to get something I saw in the flyer only to be greeted by an empty shelf.

Our orders for sales are based on past sales. If we sold 500 of product X last year, we can only order a certain percentage more the next time it is on sale. Blame suppliers. On top of that, you can only fit so much in the warehouse.

- Is there a delivery service for larger items that are in stock? I don't have a car and there's only so much I can carry. I'd pay a reasonable fee to occasionally have large things like lighting fixtures delivered.

Yes there is. $35 for up to 3 items.

- Please hire staff that I can actually find, and staff that actually have a vague knowledge of the store and products they sell. The staff were ubiquitous and overzealous the first two weeks after opening, then they all went into the Witness Protection Program and haven't been seen since.

Completely agree. More staff is desperately needed, but no one downtown is willing to work for minimum wage. The store isnt making enough to pay or hire more. It currently uses a temporary employment agency to meet current staffing needs. New rules mean staff can be fired for leaving their sections... pure stupidity considering sometimes customers cant find help in another section. So much for customer service!

- Groceries sounds like a doomed proposition, even if they don't sell smelly tires. The Merchandise Building Metro is a block away; I'll admit it's not the greatest grocery store on the planet but it's got to be better than buying food from a little boutique in the corner of Canadian Tire! Stocking food is time-sensitive and not like stocking tools, and I would expect experiences similar to the grossly sour milk I bought at Shopper's Drug Mart once.

I can see the grocery thing working, but its going to take some huge changes in order to make it work. I dont see it working with current management.

Last edited:
Sorry Tuscani01 but I'm going to have to agree with PukeGreen.

Service needs to be returned. Too many companies are cutting costs, but they are driving away customers. Example #1 and that's all I need... Self Checkouts. Maybe if they were like Interac and had a similar format, but right now it is a free for all, many are different, and those Canadian Tire ones are very buggy. You always end up waiting longer because 4 other people are struggling to get help from one employee.

Its needed. You dont even want to know how many people attempt to just walk through the cash registers without paying. It doesn't happen in the burbs as much as it does here.

Perhaps the security guards could watch the cash registers, instead of the people entering the store, who haven't bought anything yet.

No money for more cashiers.

How did their business plan get approved?

There is room for 3 people at returns, but we only use two at a time.

Why not use three?

The store isnt making enough to pay or hire more.

Maybe they should consult with the Ryerson business students upstairs...they seem to need a lot of help.
Blame suppliers.

It's the suppliers fault that Canadian Tire advertises an item on sale, but never have the item in stock, because there were only 2 left when it went on sale, or they've never actually stocked said item?

i've used the self service checkouts a few times in the past 2 weeks and i have nothing bad to say about them. quick and easy to use. i also found the ones at home depot to be quite similar.

Perhaps the security guards could watch the cash registers, instead of the people entering the store, who haven't bought anything yet.

People were exiting from the entrance, which is why he was stationed there. We have new bars that prevent you from exiting the store from the entrance and the security guard has since been relocated to the cash lane.

How did their business plan get approved?

It was never meant to be a profitable store. CT had trouble trying to find an owner for it since profit wasn't there. I think it would be more successful if it was run by corp.

Why not use three?

Because customer service is not always busy. There are many times when there is no line. That would be 3 people being paid to do nothing. It makes no sense to have extra staff.
Maybe they should consult with the Ryerson business students upstairs...they seem to need a lot of help.

Its been done, in fact... most of the part timers are Ryerson students.

It's the suppliers fault that Canadian Tire advertises an item on sale, but never have the item in stock, because there were only 2 left when it went on sale, or they've never actually stocked said item?

Im responsible for sale merchandise in that store and can say that is not true. Every deal has a corresponding shipment that we receive a week before the sale. We dont make the flyer, that is head office. The only time we dont have a product in stock that is on sale is when we 'lose' the shipment (It happens, but is usually found before the sale is over) or when the product is on standing order (meaning the manufacturer has sold more than they could produce and has no more to send us). This isn't a problem exclusive to CT. It happens everywhere. Thats why the raincheck was invented!

You can't come in on a wednesday and expect us to have everything that was in that weeks flyer in stock. By wednesday we are already stocking the next weeks sale (which starts thursday).

Last edited:
We dont make the flyer, that is head office.

Yes, it's always been that way...too bad "head office" doesn't actually know what their stores stock....or don't stock.

You can't come in on a wednesday and expect us to have everything that was in that weeks flyer in stock.

No, but when I come in on a Saturday morning, the day the sale starts, and there is no stock left, it becomes clear what the game is. These sales are just to get people into the store...it's not like you actually have the stock.
BTW...they don't give rain checks on everything.

Because customer service is not always busy. There are many times when there is no line. That would be 3 people being paid to do nothing.

But, when it is busy, and there are ten people in line...why not fill all 3 positions?

Digi, I work for a different major retailer (their 'head office'), and I can tell you that management is very concerned with customer experience, including out-of-stock for promotional items. It is often very difficult to keep stocked on promo items, especially when it is a good enough deal that people hoard. Nonetheless, the last thing a retailer wants is to be associated with consistently failing to stock merchandise that the customer wants. For other items, holes on the shelf mean lost sales, and lost sales are lost profit.

I agree with you though about customer service. Any decent retailer will have cashiers in the store when it isn't busy (stocking shelves, etc.) ready to be paged if queues build up at cash. It makes sense because lines mean lost sales, particularly impulse buys. Give consumers 10 minutes to think about their purchase, and a decent percentage will walk out with less or nothing.

It is totally your right to hold any of the problems you mention against the retailer: it is ultimately the retailer's job to earn your business. Just keep in mind that the front-line employees often have very little control over these things.

I agree with you though about customer service. Any decent retailer will have cashiers in the store when it isn't busy (stocking shelves, etc.) ready to be paged if queues build up at cash. It makes sense because lines mean lost sales, particularly impulse buys. Give consumers 10 minutes to think about their purchase, and a decent percentage will walk out with less or nothing. ...

I agree; I have walked out more than once without buying, just for that reason. I lack patience for standing in line. Had that experience today at Square One, I won't say which store. There was only one cashier on duty. She apparently didn't notice the length of the line, or maybe did not have authority to get on the pager and request help. Finally another cashier appeared from somewhere. The "customer experience" needs more attention by a lot of retailers.

Yes, it's always been that way...too bad "head office" doesn't actually know what their stores stock....or don't stock.

No, but when I come in on a Saturday morning, the day the sale starts, and there is no stock left, it becomes clear what the game is. These sales are just to get people into the store...it's not like you actually have the stock.
BTW...they don't give rain checks on everything.

But, when it is busy, and there are ten people in line...why not fill all 3 positions?

The only products we dont give rainchecks on are the ones that are sold to drive traffic to the store. They are special buys that we dont normally sell. Once they are sold out, they are gone for good or until the next sale. Every store gets a limited quantity of these products and that is noted in the flyer. "While supplies last, no rainchecks". Because we don't regularly carry these products and they are often sold at a loss to the store, there is no point in going overboard with large orders. We lack the space to store the stock and if it fails to sell we are stuck with it for a long time.

As for customer service... All 3 positions are filled during the traditional busy periods. Its impossible to predict when it will be busy outside of those times and schedules are made 2 weeks in advance. We can schedule that third person, but thats money we don't have to spare. If it does get too busy, a manager will usually fill the third space until the line disappears.

Once they are sold out, they are gone for good or until the next sale.

...or, it was never stocked at that particular store...like the 'christmas animation projectors' that are often offered for sale in your fliers....but aren't actually carried by the flagship store at Yonge and Devenport....according to the many CT representatives that I asked.

I checked out CT's new concept store in Welland, which featured a small grocery, bread and dairy section (all told probably less than 8,000 sqft of the store). I'm not sure how well it will do, when they do not carry a full range of grocery and have no produce/meat. I'm sure it will sell some very small basket sizes (such as milk or bread, which they currently are selling at a loss to generate traffic).

I checked out the new 'Smart' store concept Canadian Tire in Orleans. The grocery section is very small. According to the Canadian Tire web site the section is between 1,000 and 1,400 square feet. The in-store Mark's is very small as well. It is certainly not a replacement for a stand-alone Mark's. Nevertheless I liked the store.

I think Canadian Tire is smart in refining their 20/20 store format and not follow the Loblaw's approach which is to introduce a new flagship store concept complete with new name every three or four years. In Ontario we have Loblaws Marketplace, Real Canadian Superstore and now Loblaw Superstore. Loblaw's needs to find a format that works and go with it.

Loblaw has way more formats than that, even in Ontario. They also have No Frills, Fortinos, Zehrs, Your Independent Grocer, ValuMart and probably some that I've forgotten. Each format is designed to suit a particular market.

Loblaw has way more formats than that, even in Ontario. They also have No Frills, Fortinos, Zehrs, Your Independent Grocer, ValuMart and probably some that I've forgotten. Each format is designed to suit a particular market.

There's also Freshmart in small towns (similar to ValuMart) Fortinos, Zehrs and Loblaws are really interchangeable. YIG is also interchangeable, apart from the fact that they aren't corporate stores, but they are the same idea. It also has National Grocers Cash and Carry (open to the public but not meant for the public) in Ontario, then there's some brands that aren't in Ontario - Dominion in NL, Atlantic Superstore, Save Easy on East Coast, Provigo, Maxi, SuperValu, Extra Foods.

I really think Loblaws should consider consolidating its brands in English Canada, perhaps not as far as what Metro did, but have one consistent SuperStore brand, then start applying one consistent 'premium brand' (I doubt most people are tied dearly to Zehrs or Fortinos), one consistent discount brand.

Back