News   Apr 26, 2024
 2.4K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 626     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.2K     1 

Canadian media & the CRTC

You can always turn it off, and read, or listen to the CBC, or go to a movie, or a play, or for a walk or....

I do all those things but I don't like silence at home. I'm not a big music guy so when I'm going about making meals, cleaning, on the PC etc. my TV is off, but my stereo is always tuned to either CP24, CBC Newsworld or CNN. Two of the three play those nasty TV spots now.

change it to BBC World. No ads, just funky ad filler music. Unless that's changed now that it's moved to the analog channels. Oh yeah, and much better news too.

Well, it looks like iTunes will finally be selling TV shows on the Canadian store.

CTV and CBC shows will kick it off today, with US shows to follow.

Story.

I do all those things but I don't like silence at home. I'm not a big music guy so when I'm going about making meals, cleaning, on the PC etc. my TV is off, but my stereo is always tuned to either CP24, CBC Newsworld or CNN. Two of the three play those nasty TV spots now.

They have this thing now called The Radio. CBC is on it, and it's chit chat all the live long day. In the evening they have news, As It Happens, the recaps of The Current (the best show on the radio or the TV anywhere), Sounds Like Canada...

And at 8 oclock, Charlie Rose is on PBS, every night, and he's the best interviewer in North America, and his show is one of the few worth watching.

Yes, Charlie Rose is very watchable. On the other hand, Larry King should be euthanized already (along with the rest of CNN).

Oh, but airheaded celebrities need the reassurance of Larry King's soft questions. And he can be entertaining, watching the clips where he gets all confused and befuddled on YouTube.

Maybe...

My view is still formed by the torturous post-incarceration interview of Paris Hilton.

I don't have a TV, but I've recently become addicted to PBS's Frontline documentaries (you can get them online). They're absolutely amazing. They've done a string of them recently about Iraq, and the footage alone is incredible. They also get interviews with some really top-tier people. I've seen some of those documentary films about Iraq, and none of them is as good as what Frontline puts out every week.

Watch Frontline Online

The CRTC furthers its slide into irrelavence...

CRTC approves CanWest takeover of Alliance Atlantis
Published: Thursday, December 20, 2007 | 6:43 PM ET
Canadian Press: Steve Rennie, THE CANADIAN PRESS

OTTAWA - The federal broadcast regulator has greenlighted CanWest Global Communications' (TSX:CGS) multibillion dollar takeover of one of the country's top entertainment companies amid fears control would stray from Canada onto Wall Street.

Late Thursday afternoon, the CRTC approved the $2.3-billion takeover of Alliance Atlantis Communications (TSX:ACC.B) by CanWest with substantial financial involvement from New York-based Goldman Sachs, one of the world's biggest investment banks (NYSE:GS).

"It was a difficult decision because it was a very complicated deal," CRTC chairman Konrad von Finckenstein said in an interview with The Canadian Press.

"This is a further concentration of the industry and you want to make sure when that happens it's for the benefit of the overall system."

As well, the regulator noted that CanWest pledged to spend $136.6 million on domestic programming, including Canadian drama, documentary productions, and news and public affairs.

The big Winnipeg-based multimedia company also committed $14.6 million toward social and industry initiatives, including mentorship and internship programs, and support for arts and diversity festivals.

Unions and special interest groups had urged the CRTC to either reject the deal, fearful Goldman Sachs would end up calling the shots since it put up 64 per cent of the money to finance the takeover.

One of the few minor changes to the deal was a requirement by the regulator that a majority of CanWest representatives be present to have a quorum, rather than simply a majority of board members.

Still, some were harshly critical of Thursday's decision.

"This is definitely a change in the foreign ownership rules through the backdoor and the CRTC should have had more backbone on this matter than it displayed," said Ian Morrison of the Friends of Canadian Broadcasting.

New Democrat MP Charlie Angus echoed that sentiment.

"It's pretty clear that in the climate with the CRTC, money talks and cultural values walk," he said.

A company spokeswoman said CanWest president and CEO Leonard Asper was getting on an airplane and could not be reached for comment.

But in a statement released late Thursday, Asper said he was pleased by the "timely manner" of the CRTC's decision.

"We thank the management and employees of both companies involved for their patience and hard work during this process and we are looking forward to moving ahead and bringing Alliance Atlantis into the CanWest organization," he said.

A sticking point before the regulator had been whether CanWest will keep sufficient control to meet Canadian ownership rules in the broadcast industry.

The regulator challenged CanWest Global at a two-day hearing last month to ensure that it will retain control of Alliance Atlantis despite putting up only a minority stake. CanWest says it would still control Alliance Atlantis through a majority of the voting shares.

Domestic control of Canadian broadcast companies is required under federal broadcasting rules.

Under the deal, Goldman Sachs will get one-third of the voting shares and 64 per cent of the equity in the acquired broadcaster, including Alliance Atlantis's half interest in the popular CSI television franchise.

Meanwhile, CanWest Global acquires Alliance Atlantis's 13 specialty channels, which include Showcase and HGTV. For television viewers, the transaction will probably mean more cross-promotions on the various TV properties and bulk buying of programs.

Asper told the four-member CRTC panel in November that decisions valued at more than $22 million would also have to be vetted by Goldman Sachs management.

The Canadian Media Guild, which represents more than 100 broadcast operations employees at Alliance Atlantis, said Thursday it fears Goldman Sachs will end up running the company.

"In the end, Goldman Sachs is a major player in the operation of this company. No question about it," guild president Lise Lareau said.

"They have a significant interest in running this company, and they will."

Goldman Sachs can acquire majority ownership of the existing CanWest Global, along with the Alliance Atlantis channels, should the Canadian broadcaster fall short of its debt, cash flow and rate of return financial benchmarks.

Von Finckenstein said CanWest persuaded him and his fellow commissioners the company could meet its performance goals.

"Nobody, of course, has a crystal ball but we think it's realistic that they can meet those (benchmarks) and that they can produce the margins necessary to satisfy Goldman Sachs," he said.

The union representing 21,000 Canadian television industry members was less optimistic.

"It's going to be a challenge for CanWest to meet those benchmarks," said Stephen Waddell, national executive director of ACTRA.

"One wonders whether it's all just smoke and mirrors and in fact the case is that, ultimately, Goldman Sachs is intent upon obtaining actual control of Alliance Atlantis."

CanWest shares have been trading at their lowest level in about four years because the company is heavily indebted and faces increased competition for advertising revenue in some of its key markets.

The multimedia firm - whose holdings include the Global TV network and major city newspapers, including the National Post and the former Southam dailies from Vancouver to Montreal - is currently restructuring and cutting jobs at its some of its television and newspaper properties across Canada.

CanWest shares rose nine cents to $6.32 in Thursday trading on the Toronto stock market in anticipation of the CRTC ruling. The company's shares traded as high as $12.08 earlier this year, but for the most part have steadily fallen in 2007.

Asper told the four-member CRTC panel last month that if CanWest didn't get a green light on the Alliance Atlantis deal it would "accelerate" the ratings decline at the company's conventional television networks.

He also said the broadcaster would likely trim budgets at those networks if the CRTC rejected the deal, triggering the "inevitable deterioration" of Alliance Atlantis.

© The Canadian Press, 2007

It's about damn time

CRTC imposes cross-media ownership restrictions

Last Updated: Tuesday, January 15, 2008 | 11:50 AM ET
CBC News

The CRTC has brought in new regulations to restrict cross-media ownership as a way of ensuring a diversity of editorial voices.

The broadcast regulator said on Tuesday that a person or entity will only be permitted to control two media outlets in a single market. In other words, a media group that already owned a local radio station and a local television station would not be allowed to buy a local newspaper.

The CRTC also said it would impose limits on the ownership of broadcasting licences so that one party would not control more than 45 per cent of the total television audience share as a result of a merger or acquisition.

"It is an approach that will preserve the plurality of editorial voices and the diversity of programming available to Canadians, both locally and nationally, while allowing for a strong and competitive industry," said CRTC chair Konrad von Finckenstein.

The ownership restrictions followed hearings last year into the issue of media concentration and the diversity of voices following two high-profile media deals — CanWest Global's purchase of Alliance Atlantis Communications, and CTV's acquisition of Chum Ltd.

The CRTC already has restrictions on the ownership of multiple TV stations in the same market.

This decision is like Noah trying to build his arc, but after the flood has started.

Anyway, some voices about the decision...

"It allows the big players to become bigger, and does very little if anything to limit media concentration in Canada," said Peter Murdoch, vice-president of the Communications, Energy and Paperworkers union. "The new policy does nothing about media empires that currently have a stranglehold on some large markets, such as Vancouver, or about what happens on a national level," he said.

"The CRTC is preserving the current unacceptable levels of concentration and is not even adopting meaningful measures to stop it from getting worse," said Guild president Lise Lareau. "By their own admission, they are legalizing the status quo since they admit that their new rules are not being contravened anywhere in Canada."

"The CRTC is recognizing that as a result of media concentration, there are levels of concentration that could well pose a threat to diversity and, therefore, democracy," says Friends of Canadian Broadcasting's Ian Morrison. "Although I would quibble on some of the details, I think this an example of the CRTC doing its job," he said.

==========================

The new rules are basically the following:

While the new limits restrict ownership of the types of media owned, the rules about how many newspapers and radio and TV stations may be owned have not changed.

Companies can own:
  • only one TV station per language in a single market;
  • two AM and two FM radio stations in the same language in large markets;
  • three radio stations, but only two per frequency band, in smaller markets.
A CRTC spokeswoman said there are no restrictions on the number of newspapers a company can own

Back