News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.6K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 350     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 910     1 

Canadian flags in USA?

I crossed to/from Niagara Falls over the weekend, and have to admit I was a little disappointed not to see any flags on our side upon return. The US side did recently remove their huge graphics, so perhaps we toned our side down to match. Still, a big flag at either end of the security gates would be a tasteful touch.

I travel in the US a fair bit and have seen Canadian flags pretty much everywhere, though it's an understandably small number. It will always be next to or beneath a US flag, as it should be.

If by "beneath a US flag, as it should be." you mean on the same mast that's actually a huge faux pas in flag protocol. Every national flag is to have its own mast.

- just like you won't see many US flags in eastern Quebec for example (or Canadian, for that matter).

When I was last in the Quebec City area a few years ago I saw more Canadian flags flying from private residences and municipal offices than I thought I would. The Maple Leaf isn't as scarce there as the media would sometimes have you believe.

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyone who's visited Trafalgar Square in London sees them very prominently (as Canada House is one of the more pronounced buildings there). Especially around the Olympics.

dI1ZDl.jpg

photo by me

Trafalgar Square is on the left, just off the image. Streetview.

My family applied to immigrate to Canada in this building. My parents were interviewed inside.

Last edited:
^ Really? I know of at least four places where it is flown regularly - the Four Seasons across from Public Garden, Copley Place (where the consulate is), Shriners Hospital, and the Seaport World Trade Center (though this one also has the flag of every country) - and the Fairmont hotel at Copley Square also flies the Canadian flag sometimes.

Back