News   Apr 25, 2024
 328     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 1K     4 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 1K     0 

Can OPP pull you over while in the city?

John Daniels

Member Bio
Reaction score
Today I witnessed a hit and run. A black car speeding through a yellow more close to red hit a silver car who was turning left to enter the freeway. The black car left the scene.

What puzzled me was the fact that OPP was in the area and didn't do anything causing the black car to speed away.

I'm just confused about this.

Legally, all cops in Ontario are cops everywhere in Ontario. There are no jurisdictional boundaries. So yes, the OPP could have done something.

In reality, I suspect it's more complicated.

I know that in some cases "peace officers," such as university campus police, are only allowed to charge someone within 'reasonable' distance from their jurisdiction, such as one or two blocks away from campus and usually only if the crime was initially perpetrated on campus.

Today I witnessed a hit and run. A black car speeding through a yellow more close to red hit a silver car who was turning left to enter the freeway. The black car left the scene.

What puzzled me was the fact that OPP was in the area and didn't do anything causing the black car to speed away.

I'm just confused about this.

What do you mean OPP "was in the area"? Were they in view of the accident and ignored it?

In either case, police in Ontario generally do not chase vehicles. It's not hard to track down a damaged car. Either it will be captured on surveillance or it will be found when going in for repair.

traffic%20accident.png
This a rough diagram of how the accident went. The OPP was facing towards the accident. There is no why he could have not heard or witnessed the accident happening. OPP could have rang a siren, red car could have moved out of the way and the black car would have gotten pulled over.

Back